Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-13-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
That like my last Mulie he has 43.5” of mass. I also have an Elk that has 11” bases and ends with 8” of mass at the tops. Gotta love mass!
That's a good mule deer!
Old 12-13-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
That like my last Mulie he has 43.5” of mass. I also have an Elk that has 11” bases and ends with 8” of mass at the tops. Gotta love mass!
Mass is king.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-13-2019, 10:55 AM
Banned

This ones funny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5DFB530B-BC3E-42C5-93C0-31B36500ACDE.jpg (11.7 KB, 136 views)
Old 12-14-2019, 07:15 PM
Banned

It’s was scored as a 4x5 tonight at cherry grove big buck night, with the red as the main beam.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:07 AM

In the event of issues like this are they not supposed to revert to doing whatever is best for the animal? IMO the green should be the MB and it looks like a mainframe 5x5 to me. I am not an official scorer but that deer is awesome. Either way, definitely a cranker.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
In the event of issues like this are they not supposed to revert to doing whatever is best for the animal? IMO the green should be the MB and it looks like a mainframe 5x5 to me. I am not an official scorer but that deer is awesome. Either way, definitely a cranker.
I’ve had 2 different official measurers score it and they scored it 2 different ways, guys who are not officials but know how to scoreI’ve measured it, all the scores are between 192 and 200 gross, 185 and 187 net. I think if I have it scored by 5 other measurers it’ll probably get 5 different scores 5 different ways. It won’t make book either way but it doesn’t matter, it’s a bigger frame than pretty much any whitetail I’ve seen.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:10 PM

I heard there was some 200+ deer at Cherry Grove buck night. Did you happen to get any pics of that deer that grossed 240?
Old 12-15-2019, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
I heard there was some 200+ deer at Cherry Grove buck night. Did you happen to get any pics of that deer that grossed 240?
Ya I did, its not a very impressive rack imo. It had a 148” main frame with 3 little beams on one side and a bunch of little points

There was a 7x7 from Saskatchewan that gross scored 197 and netted 185 that was pretty impressive, and a 6x6 from Alberta that was really nice, it grossed 191 and netted 179

There was another non typical whitetail in the youth category that grossed 190” and netted 185 as well.

There were a few huge mulies there last night as well

There was a 58” bull moose that went 191 and a nice bull elk that grossed 340.

That youth buck was also from Saskatchewan. Because of the different regulations regarding whitetail hunting I think there should be an Alberta category and a Saskatchewan category. Jmo.

Last edited by Kurt505; 12-15-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:04 PM

Wow..That left antler must be around 150”!! Most impressive one side I have seen in a while. Thanks for posting
Old 12-15-2019, 03:22 PM

That youth buck was also from Saskatchewan. Because of the different regulations regarding whitetail hunting I think there should be an Alberta category and a Saskatchewan category. Jmo.[/QUOTE]

Hi Kurt, Now I am curious. I know nothing about scoring, what regulations are you referring to?
Old 12-15-2019, 03:28 PM

Thanks for posting the info and pics.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
That youth buck was also from Saskatchewan. Because of the different regulations regarding whitetail hunting I think there should be an Alberta category and a Saskatchewan category. Jmo.
Hi Kurt, Now I am curious. I know nothing about scoring, what regulations are you referring to?[/QUOTE]

In Saskatchewan baiting is legal, in Alberta it’s not, the fact you can sit over a bait pile in Saskatchewan give an advantage to hunting in Alberta.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
Wow..That left antler must be around 150”!! Most impressive one side I have seen in a while. Thanks for posting
The left side had 91” of abnormals. It would have been good to see both sides symmetrical, 182” of abnormals, that would have been great.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:24 PM

I say the bottom is the proper main beam, both sides, the point sticking up was a main beam point in the past I would say.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 12-15-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
In Saskatchewan baiting is legal, in Alberta it’s not, the fact you can sit over a bait pile in Saskatchewan give an advantage to hunting in Alberta.
I agree that there are many factors that should be considered that are not. I watch a lot of Sask Whitetail hunting on the tube and figure almost none of them would have been filmed and harvested without the feed pile.

Having said that, should deer shot on private land without public access be a fair entry? I am in many homes with my work and the most impressive bucks are shot on private land often on the landowner tag. Ask for permission and they will literally laugh in your face. They often don't advertise these trophies for obvious reasons.

What about guided hunts? He showed up, paid the money, viewed trail cam pictures over cocktails, sat in a heated blind, and shot a record book buck. Same score as a weekend warrior that gets 2 or 3 weekends a year and no time to scout?

You shot a world class deer and no piece of paper is going to change that, and thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Probably won't make you feel better but here is my favorite buck. I listened to him and another buck fight one morning and was finally able to grunt him in after several hours of games in -20. Pop can bases and I would bet over 350 pounds on the hoof, wouldn't score much over 140 but I would never do him the disservice of putting a tape on him. The typical he was jostling with all morning would score at least 20 inches higher but I really like nontropical and this guy was the dominate buck. Shot him on public lease land that is heavily hunted and a short drive from 3 towns and a city. I have shot many higher scoring but none better.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-15-2019, 11:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I agree that there are many factors that should be considered that are not. I watch a lot of Sask Whitetail hunting on the tube and figure almost none of them would have been filmed and harvested without the feed pile.

Having said that, should deer shot on private land without public access be a fair entry? I am in many homes with my work and the most impressive bucks are shot on private land often on the landowner tag. Ask for permission and they will literally laugh in your face. They often don't advertise these trophies for obvious reasons.

What about guided hunts? He showed up, paid the money, viewed trail cam pictures over cocktails, sat in a heated blind, and shot a record book buck. Same score as a weekend warrior that gets 2 or 3 weekends a year and no time to scout?

You shot a world class deer and no piece of paper is going to change that, and thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Probably won't make you feel better but here is my favorite buck. I listened to him and another buck fight one morning and was finally able to grunt him in after several hours of games in -20. Pop can bases and I would bet over 350 pounds on the hoof, wouldn't score much over 140 but I would never do him the disservice of putting a tape on him. The typical he was jostling with all morning would score at least 20 inches higher but I really like nontropical and this guy was the dominate buck. Shot him on public lease land that is heavily hunted and a short drive from 3 towns and a city. I have shot many higher scoring but none better.

[IMG][/IMG]

Well I think different rules should constitute different awards. Private land is everywhere, I know there is quite a bit of private land where I hunt that the land owners don’t allow hunting but that helps grow big deer, just gotta catch them making a mistake.

Everyone has their idea of what a trophy animal is. For some it’s the quality of the steaks, others it’s the number of inches, I like big mass. Your buck looks like he was definitely ready for retirement.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:59 AM

I follow the rules of fair chase for B&C or P&Y. Why would they separate baited, private, spot and stalk, treestand, etc....

I honestly believe hunter names should never be associated with animals...just honor the animal.

For awards... biggest fair chase animal wins, as long as those rules were followed. Otherwise things just get diluted with noise once you have different categories. Separating by tool used makes sense.

My 2 cents

LC
Old 12-16-2019, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I follow the rules of fair chase for B&C or P&Y. Why would they separate baited, private, spot and stalk, treestand, etc....

I honestly believe hunter names should never be associated with animals...just honor the animal.

For awards... biggest fair chase animal wins, as long as those rules were followed. Otherwise things just get diluted with noise once you have different categories. Separating by tool used makes sense.

My 2 cents

LC
I would argue that a bait pile is a tool used. If it was on the end of a hook it’s certainly a tool, I see no difference. Cast a p-rig out with just a plastic bait on one hook and a minnow on the other, see which one produces more fish. Actually I see bait as the same advantage as using a rifle instead of a bow.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I would argue that a bait pile is a tool used. If it was on the end of a hook it’s certainly a tool, I see no difference. Cast a p-rig out with just a plastic bait on one hook and a minnow on the other, see which one produces more fish. Actually I see bait as the same advantage as using a rifle instead of a bow.
What about baiting bears? We need to separate even more classes so guys can get more participation trophies? Guided hunter should have an asterisk by their name... they never scouted they just shot the animal. Why do we need to create more strife and division in our ranks?

Many of the F&G awards aren’t even separated by tool... it’s just biggest animal of the species taken. Whether it was rifle/ML/SG/bow.

LC
Old 12-16-2019, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
What about baiting bears? We need to separate even more classes so guys can get more participation trophies? Guided hunter should have an asterisk by their name... they never scouted they just shot the animal. Why do we need to create more strife and division in our ranks?

Many of the F&G awards aren’t even separated by tool... it’s just biggest animal of the species taken. Whether it was rifle/ML/SG/bow.

LC
It’s not about dividing our ranks, it’s about an even playing field, pretty straight forward I think. Would it be fare to have an mma event where half the opponents are on juice and the other half isn’t? Let the ones on juice compete against each other, and the ones not on juice compete against each other, same ring rules apply.

This isn’t about getting into B&C book, it’s about winning prizes. I think the 179typ should have gotten an award for biggest Alberta entry and the 185typ for biggest Saskatchewan entry. Same with the 185non-typ from Saskatchewan, it won an award for biggest youth but had it been under an adult license I think it should have gotten an award for biggest non-typ from Saskatchewan.

Fwiw, it’s just one event and I’m certainly not going to lose any sleep over it, it’s just an observation I left the show with.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:54 AM

I don't see the big deal about baiting.
(Although I've never hunted over bait, so maybe it's a very uninformed opinion)
If you know where the deer like to go to eat, and you hunt there, isn't that almost the same thing?
Old 12-16-2019, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
If you know where the deer like to go to eat, and you hunt there, isn't that almost the same thing?

Have you ever watched Dean Partridge’s Canadian whitetail, or Cody Robins Live to Hunt?

I guarantee without bait piles the success rate on big bucks would be much lower.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Although there is lots of things a farmer grows that deer can survive on, they are primarily browsers by nature. People go on about deer being nocturnal but in fact after a short lay down in the morning they wander the forest browsing most of the midday. They need to because they are burning calories just keeping warm. They are constantly looking for better browse and nearly impossible to pattern.

Adding bait defines the pattern and creates not only an unfair advantage for the hunter but can in fact be harmful to deer.

Baiters are not nutritionists and may not be feeding a deer the nutrients to survive the winter. Although one wouldn't think, browse is very nutritious as proven by maintaining northern moose though winter. A deer can literally starve to death with a full stomach of the wrong food.

Bait piles bring deer together unnaturally and add the risk of spreading decease among the herds. It is often completely unnatural the mix of deer and other critters at a bait pile. We all know of CWD but there are forms of TB and other decease that get into the deer population as well when populations are congested. You can read up on some of the issues in Minnesota's Northern Peninsula if curious.

Once successful, many deer hunters would of course abandon their feeding efforts leaving many young deer without the skill set to find natural forage. Even if they are successful in finding forage, the quick change in diet alone can be fatal. Young deer that spend the summer and early fall at a bait pile instead of with their mothers learning the different edibles is a deer ill equipped to survive the winter.

Obviously a deer's antler growth is effected by the growing season and food available. The type of nutrition used for antler growth may or may not be the best thing for the deer. Certain areas produce big deer more consistently than others due to certain vitamins and minerals available. Deer adapt and in fact evolve to better survive in their given environment. These adaptations are almost completely based on the availability of food and what the animal has to do to get food. A southern deer wouldn't last the winter here anymore than a northern deer would survive in Florida. If they by some bit of luck did survive long enough to breed, their offspring would very soon develop the characteristic of the other's in that environment.

Baiting is a rich man's game or a farmer's game. The average Joe could never afford the time or money to maintain bait piles. Locals with access to free or very cheap feed or guides with a business to run are the only ones to benefit. A bucket of oats is only attractive when there isn't a well managed truck load of feed always available on the next quarter, the quarter where you can't get permission because the guide has it locked up. If he can't get it locked up he will simply start baiting another quarter where he can.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Have you ever watched Dean Partridge’s Canadian whitetail, or Cody Robins Live to Hunt?

I guarantee without bait piles the success rate on big bucks would be much lower.
I haven't watched any of those shows.
But I have no reason not to believe you.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:22 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I just like big deer and we all know what I am talking about...mass...tine length...lots of bone....I don't worry about the so called deductions nor the measured air between the main beams....just big, thick and heavy with crap all over the place but then there is the beautiful typicals….big deer do not grow on every quarter and the outfitters feeding deer for their clients are only keeping them entertained which is a good thing....long days, many miles, many game cam checking just to see a few gooders and then every five years or more a true cranker…..

now I gotta get out and check for popcan….cuz Kurt cant keep bragin' rights too long.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-16-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
It’s not about dividing our ranks, it’s about an even playing field, pretty straight forward I think. Would it be fare to have an mma event where half the opponents are on juice and the other half isn’t? Let the ones on juice compete against each other, and the ones not on juice compete against each other, same ring rules apply.

This isn’t about getting into B&C book, it’s about winning prizes. I think the 179typ should have gotten an award for biggest Alberta entry and the 185typ for biggest Saskatchewan entry. Same with the 185non-typ from Saskatchewan, it won an award for biggest youth but had it been under an adult license I think it should have gotten an award for biggest non-typ from Saskatchewan.

Fwiw, it’s just one event and I’m certainly not going to lose any sleep over it, it’s just an observation I left the show with.
Talk to the organizers if you don’t like how they hand out prizes

The F&G club I belong to doesn’t differentiate between archery or rifle harvests, it’s just highest scoring animal. Quite a few times the highest scoring animal is taken with a bow but no one complains if it was taken with a rifle however. The rules of engagement are understood prior.

If they are going to have a baited class maybe they need a truck hunter class?

LC
Old 12-16-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:

The F&G club I belong to doesn’t differentiate between archery or rifle harvests, it’s just highest scoring animal. Quite a few times the highest scoring animal is taken with a bow but no one complains if it was taken with a rifle however. The rules of engagement are understood prior.

LC
Or.......we could just gert rid of scores and record books all togehter.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Or.......we could just gert rid of scores and record books all togehter.
Fine by me

LC
Old 12-16-2019, 01:25 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

LC

or heated blind class....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-16-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:

LC
Add my vote for a creedmoor class. Using one of those 1 mile weapons of mass destruction has a clear advantage over anything else.