Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-07-2013, 11:14 AM

Default new to muzzleloaders need advice

Hello, I just applied for my draws and one of which is for wainwright. I hear the better time to hunt is in the muzzleloader season. I am priority 6 so I should draw this year but I have never shot or owned a muzzleloader. I am looking at a TC pro hunter or something along those lines, so I guess what im asking is how to use one. I have watched a few videos and done my reading but some hands on learning would be great, if there is anybody near red deer that is willing to show me the ropes of modern day muzzleloading would be greatly appreciated. If someone is willing to maybe let me shoot theres to help me with my choice of purchase would also be awesome. I can buy all components or what need be. Thanks in advance
Old 06-07-2013, 11:29 PM

buy a side lock ML,then go to muzzleloadeing .com
Old 06-08-2013, 06:52 AM

There's a good blackpowder thread in this area. Look up a few lines
Enjoy
Old 06-08-2013, 10:42 PM

Pick a muscle loader and then cruise some of the muzzleloader forums out there. Just like high powered rifles, there are combinations of sabots, powder, bullets and primers that work the best in certain model. I got a recipe from a forum member and went to the range to test it out. A couple others were out with their muzzleloaders the same day. One guy was shooting at 200 yards. When he left, we checked his target. Not a mark on it. A friend and I put up a a sheet of wrapping paper with a short piece of electrical tape up at 200 yards. Wanted to see just how badly these things shot. Took two shots. The first shot smoked the tape and the second was 2 to the right. Good enough for me as I wasn't planning on shooting any further than that.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty View Post
X2
If you realy want to shoot a ML try out the Sidelocks and hunt closer. I wouldn't trade my flinters or Percussion caps for any inline.{ I have a scoped inline that don't shoot . }
Pete
Old 06-10-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty View Post
I have to agree with this as well.

4 years back, I would never have even thought of buying a flintlock. Then I had a chance to fire a low-end Traditions Deerhunter. While its not a top-end flintlock rifle, it still showed me how much fun they are.

I enjoy shooting my Lyman flintlock more than my modern rifles, there is just something about it.