Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-06-2013, 04:22 PM

Default Looking for gunsmith to work on 1917 Enfield action

Wondering if anyone here would have a recommendation for a gunsmith, hopefully in or close to Calgary, that would be willing to take on a project with a 1917 Eddystone Enfield action.
It was my great grandfather's rifle and I would like to re-build it.

Before anyone explodes and tells me not to butcher an original, it has already been sporterized. The original stock has been cut down and the sight "ears" have been milled down for the addition of scope bases.

I would like to convert it to 300 H&H, add a Dayton trigger and cock on open kit, and have the rear of the receiver contoured to look a little smoother.

Is there a smith around Calgary that would do work like this?

The only smiths that I know of in Calgary are Rick at ATRS and the smith at The Shooting Edge, though I haven't dealt with either directly.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Precisionshooter

Dicks gunsmithing in Calgary has been in the business for a long time. Give him a ring. PM me if you need his number.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:43 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it. I found his number while trying to search for smiths in Calgary just a few minutes ago. The reason I made a new thread is because this is sort of a specific build and wondered if there are any smiths out there that specialize in P17/ older Mauser designs.
I want to have this rifle rebuilt, but not at the expense of having it butchered. It has sentimental value(the whole reason for the project) and I would pay every cent for a top quality job.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:20 PM

Sounds like it might be up Ron Smith's alley. Check the Wimborne phone directory. Think his son Gerald is in the business as well.

Grizz