Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-01-2008, 08:51 PM

Default savage F/TR 308 my new toy!!

well I got my new savage F/TR out to the range. Wow!!! its accurate a five shot group at a 100 yards is one ragged hole. At 200 yards my 10 shot group is no bigger than a golf ball, and this is with factory ammo. I think ive found a keeper Has anybody else shot this rifle?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg April pics 001s.jpg (62.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg April pics 003s.jpg (54.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg April pics 004s.jpg (74.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg April pics 005s.jpg (73.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-01-2008, 11:03 PM

i seriously looked at one before i built my gun, i have read a lot of good things about them. only bad comment so far are the wood screws holding the cheekpeice on and the screw for the forend rail, some guys also don't like the overall fit of the stock. i have never held one personally though. where did you get it? SIR had em earlier this year, too bad they don't give a guy a couple caliber options, something in a 7 caliber would be sweet. i know they make the 6.5 but from what i have read i am not real keen on the short barrel life. to each his own. congrats
Old 05-02-2008, 07:03 AM

the wood screws are a bit of a downside for sure. Me and a good friend at work drilled mine out poured apoxy, then left a small bolt lightly covered with copper antysieze in the middle. After it dried we just backed the bolts out. I wish savage would have thought of this though. I picked up mine from a good frend his name is Arnold hes a rep and dealer strictly for savage I only paid $800. Im lucky almost any savage rifle you see in the store especial new 2008 models I can get for 2-3 hundread cheaper . In fact im a rem guy and hes been buggen me to try savage for some time now Im glad I did, I love my trigger 6oz to 2.5lbs thats easly adjustible!! This is far the most accurate rifle out of the box ive ever owned and the trigger is increadble it feels like a small glass rod cracking when it brakes. I love my remington 700 but I put in the work for accuracy by getting a trigger job, Mcmillan stock, upgraded bolt handle and glass beding my savage out of the box is just as accurate
Old 05-02-2008, 07:32 AM

Default scope

Congrats!
What kind of scope and mounts?
Old 05-02-2008, 07:48 AM

It has leupold base and rings. I put a weaver 3x9x50 I picked up from canadian tire for a little over or under $400 Its insanely clear I can see all my holes at 200 yards clearly. Its not as good (cant compair) as my leupold competition series rifle scope on my remington 700 but I paid $1,115