Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Banned

Question Bringing ammo with me across border questions?

Yo Gun Gurus,

Going to be in Alaska soon and having some ammo arranged to be there when i'm there so i can bring it back with me.....anything i need to know???? Special forms etc.???
Old 04-27-2008, 01:32 PM

For Canadian purposes you're allowed to import ammunition to Canada....

For American purposes, without an export permit you are not allowed to bring ammunition out of the US....
Old 04-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Banned

Trev my man.....just to clarify then....

So for a particular ammo that isn't set up for them to export yet i can have shipped to Alaska to meet me while i'm there for a fishing trip and then bring it home with me with basically zero hassles? No paperwork ahead of time etc.? I'm talking about a few hundred rounds here.

Just want to make sure i don't have anything i need to sort out before i head up there in june other than having it shipped somewhere i can pick it up there and just bring it home with me.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:21 AM

For bringing it to Canada there is no paperwork required....carry your PAL in case you are asked for it.....

But again...the US side would most likely take issue with exporting the ammunition.....so be aware of their rules.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Banned

anyone know what the u.s. rules are for what i want to do?
Old 04-28-2008, 12:23 PM

I have heard of US officials setting up check stops just before the border and charging people trying to bring ammo back. They say we can not legally buy ammo down there. I was able to get 5000 rounds back without getting checked but don't know if I would try again, the fines are pretty steep.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:40 PM

Been doing that for 25 years no problems.You will be talking to Canadian Customs entering Canada and they don't have any issues as long as it's in the factory boxes.The Americans {BATF} have sunken to Gestopo tactics of ambushing Canadians leaving US gun shows.The only bigger zealots are The U.S. State Dept. as they make up the rules as they go along.I wouldn't worry about returning with ammo...........Harold ****the retarded thing is a loophole that allows ammo purchases is to buy a US small game licence! That should make them all feel safer as the terrorists could never afford that.Dumb protectionism!
Old 04-28-2008, 04:36 PM

Stinky....you wont get an export permit as a personal buyer.....

Be aware that if you are stopped on an export check you will be breaking American laws.....
Old 04-30-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Stinky....you wont get an export permit as a personal buyer.....

Be aware that if you are stopped on an export check you will be breaking American laws.....
Both are true statements.
I watched a kid loose a new Vette last year bringing ammo into Canada from Great Falls. He would now be classes as persona non grata in the US.
The chances of getting stopped in an egress check may be small but the paranoia and teeth the Homeland Insecurity guys have are HUGE.
Unless you are in possession of a Form 6 a non resident is not allowed to even be in possession of ammo or components, let alone firearms in the US.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 05-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Banned

interesting info, i may reconsider...anyone done it via airplane? is that more or less risky?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:55 AM

Stinky:
I would wager a guess that if you were trying to take a quantity of ammunition on an airplane and were not even coming back from a hunt or a shooting competition, you will get flagged right quick.
If one were to drive the odds of avoiding getting flagged would be better, but irregardless illegal export of restricted goods from the US is just that illegal.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-01-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
interesting info, i may reconsider...anyone done it via airplane? is that more or less risky?
You are pretty much asking if there is a less risky way of breaking the US Federal law.....I'm not sure what you want to hear....its illegal. Plain and simple....there are less risky ways of smuggling drugs, speeding, etc....

The least 'risk' involved with exporting ammunition without a permit is to not do it....

It aint worth the hassle.....
Old 05-01-2008, 04:38 PM

If you are really set on bring the ammo across the border then just mail it to yourself and if it get pitched at the line then you are just out the ammo without the hassle talking to homeland security etc. They will sieze it and you are out the money of the ammo and the price of mailing. I would google US Customes and talk to they about what may happen etc. when mailing it, because you are most likely mailing dangerous goods. Either way it is just not worth the hassle to save $.
Illegal is not a sick bird.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned

yup, all new to me, nice to see some black and white come into the discussion as until this thread i was led to believe....even from the guys loading the ammo i'm after....that i can just pick it up at the border no prob.....and read everywhere we can bring up to 5000 rounds across...no prob.....but finally some light is shed....and there IS a prob

suppose i'll be getting into reloading much sooner than i thought

thanks for all the clarification
Old 05-01-2008, 10:32 PM

You have to understand basic bureacratic thinking.
The CBSA only cares about the Canadian laws, and the US agencies (all of them) only really care about US laws.
I have been told repeatly by CBSA officials that I can import from the US 5000 rounds of "safety cartridges", yet further investigation of the ITAR regulations clearly states an IIC is required.
Not long ago while doing a biweekly border run I overheard a CBSA officier in the booth CALL the BSA guys to report an export of ammo, they were right over the border pronto.
My uncle used to work for Homeland Security at Blaine Wa. Kesslerings would routinely call the plate numbers of Canadian vehicles to the border crossing. They apparenlty got 25% of the fines. Nice deal, get the $$ for the purchase and an added "rat fee".

If 1 deals with anything firearms related as if it were phamaceutical grade cocaine when it comes to the borders, less guys would get jacked up. Remember the cardinal rule. Only the lawyers really win when charges are laid, they get paid win, loose or draw.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range