Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-29-2008, 09:31 PM

Default Reloading question

I am new to reloading, and am working up my first load for a 7-08. My question is before I start varying powder charges to try to see what load will shoot in this rifle, what is a standard distance that I should seat off of the lands or is there such a thing. If not any suggestions as to what distance I should seat 140 gr. Sierra gamekings as starter distance?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:36 PM
stubblejumper

I usually start about .020" off of the lands with most bullets,and .050" with barnes tsx or mrx.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:49 PM

Hey Predator....If I am not mistaken, you probably have a stevens sitting in front of you....

At the end of all my load development (well I guess not the end since I am not done).....I found that the internal magazine box ended up being the limiting factor...

If that is the rifle you bought...I would start at the max you can get in there...and try working your way down if necessary....

For my 139gr Interbonds....I have them so they just fit in the magazine, and I am probably 15 thou off......

but then again, different bullets will vary this number.....
Old 04-30-2008, 09:56 PM

Start with S.A.A.M.I. spec., you may save a lot of time.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:20 PM

If ur going to hunt with it then use the magazine length,,they got to fit in there thats fer sure,,,,wen im punchin paper, i usually seat on the lands and work up ,
find the pressure sign,and back off ,sumtimes u get lucky and on the way up u get a sweet load with no signs,,... have fun ..
Old 04-30-2008, 11:28 PM

for target shooters the on the lands thing usually works quite well, but you will be amazed how accurate a gun can be when way back from the lands. for my hunting rifles i try to keep one caliber in the neck of the case, .300 for 30 caliber for example, a lot of guns have to much freebore to allow you to get close to the lands and still fit in the mag. the one caliber thing allows the bullet to start into the riflings straight.