Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-29-2007, 11:05 PM

Default Kolpin system or grips

I am curious about what kind of system you guys use to transport guns on quads. The Kolpin system or these finger like rubber grips that connect to the front rack. BEL
Old 08-29-2007, 11:10 PM

My dad has the kolpin system on his quad. It works pretty well and keeps the gun strapped in there pretty solid. Those finger things on the front would cause the gun to extend past the sides of the quad and get caught on branches, trees, etc. I guess it would work okay if your quading out in the prarie though.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:43 AM

The kolpins are nice for transporting your firearms around keeping them clean and dry. I would get a gunboot before the front holders. I use the front holders while hunting grouse and such on my quad.

Thats just me though

Barbwire
Old 08-30-2007, 06:37 AM

Default kolpin

If you want the kolpin I have a slide in bracket for cheap as I had to get a new double boot rack for my Rhino.The one I have is mounted on the back rack and slides in beside your feet on the running board
Old 08-30-2007, 07:34 AM

I have used the Kolpin Gun Boot system mounted on the rear rack and they work great. You can go through thick bush without any problem with hang ups on branches. You also have plenty of room left on the rear rack as well for other stuff. Great case too when transporting your rifle when its not on the quad as well.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:42 AM

I use the Kolpin system, keeps guns gun and dry. Also like honda450 said they are great gun cases. In the summer I use them for fishing rods and reels, keeps them clean when travelling between fishing holes.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:54 AM

Default I have both

I started with the front "U" holders over my quad handles but it was impossible to put the gun into a soft case and extent the restraining straps over the soft case. Plus after time, soft cases are not very moisture/water resistant. So I just added a Kolpin to my quad. Seems to work fine and solves the above issues.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:56 AM

I use the Kolpin for my large rifle....it gives it all the protection needed when on the quad....I also have the forks on my front rack for my grouse gun. The gun I use is short, so it doesn't stick over the fenders and catch mud and branches....
Old 08-30-2007, 10:05 AM

I sure have to agree with the rest of the posts . Kolpin gun holders are the best for quad use, and as a gun case. Love the one I have.

Sledder

Last edited by lilsundance; 09-18-2007 at 09:10 PM. Reason: remove sig. link
Old 08-30-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Koplin

Koplin all the way. I just wish they still made the Gunboot IV with the fleece lined scarrab. I think it provides more protection than the new ones with the removable nylon liner.

The new Gunboot 6 I believe looks good. The back flips up instead of having to pull the top off if you have it on.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Thanks guys

Thanks for your info guys. I am leaning towards the Kolpin also. My gun is long and would stick out over the front rack causing real problems in some of the tight trails/curves I go through. I don't like the old fleece lined Kolpin because it would come out. A friend of mine got rid on his for that reason. BEL
Old 08-30-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Slingshot

Where do you live? I imagine you are talking about the section that bolts on the rack which holds the hard guncase. BEL