Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-29-2007, 04:29 PM

Question Recomendations for shot and shell size for migratory birds?

What is everyone using for geese and ducks as far as shot size and shell size and why? I am just looking to learn something here and not start any fights.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Thumbs up

I am not really big into hunting Ducks or Geese, but when I have done so I always use #5 shot 3" Mags from my 12ga... .
--Ken
Old 08-29-2007, 05:35 PM

For hunting ducks over decoys, I prefer 2.75" #4's... (1 1/16oz @ 1550fps) with a modified choke. Reasoning: I mostly hunt ducks in the afternoon and I can be almost certain that it will only be ducks that fly in. This load gives me the most decisive kills out to as far as I ever want to shoot. Plus, they are cheap and don't kick too hard. If a goose wants in, he's still dead.

If I'm just shooting geese over decoys, I like 2.75" #2, or 3" #1 or #2, Same specs as above. Reasoning: I hunt geese only in the mornings, and will usually pass up ducks, if they at all want into the hole. I find the 3" #2 has the best pattern at 20-25 yards, and enough power to make a longer shot if I see a bird with a collar or band, that either lands in the decoys far out or skirts the hole.

If both ducks and geese are using the field I'm hunting, and I'm planning to shoot both, or if I really don't know what I will be shooting and just want the most verstility, I'll use 3" #2 or #1, (1 1/8th oz @ 1550 fps with an Improved Modified choke). Good all around load. I like to save the 2.75" shells I buy for just 'duck hunts'.

For pass shooting geese, 3" #1 or #2, (both 1 1/8th oz @ 1500 fps). Improved Modified choke. Crumples them right up as high as the tree tops, if you can make the shot.

Last edited by ABDUKNUT; 08-29-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:42 PM

What ABduknut just said is very good advice. Please note that he is using fast loads at 1550 fps and he is not shooting a long ranges.

Richard
Old 08-29-2007, 07:33 PM

I shoot them same shells as AB except I use #2 for everything I will try out #4's for ducks over decoys and #BB for pass shooting geese.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B. View Post
What ABduknut just said is very good advice. Please note that he is using fast loads at 1550 fps and he is not shooting a long ranges.

Richard
Yes, the advice I gave is directed more towards shooting at normal ranges, over decoys. But, these loads WILL reach out and dirt-nap birds at 'longer ranges' too. If you do intend on shooting at the longer ranges, you need lots of practice and some in depth look into how your gun patterns with the different loads. It takes a heck of a lot more to shoot long range with a shotgun, than just buying the most powefull shells. This has been beat to death on here, so I'll drop the subject.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:11 PM

Kent makes a 3" 1560 fps #3 that I like for ducks. Geese, I like to use the Kents in #2 or BBs (again 3" 1560 fps) when they might not want to come in with the landing gear down.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:26 PM

Harv;
it really depends on acouple of things.
1. What patterns well in your shotgun.
2. The style of hunting you do.

I've killed scads of Canada's over decoys with home brewed 2-3/4", 1-1/8oz of steel #2, doing about 1475fps. knocks the snot out of late season Mallard's too, might even be a bit much over the blocks. this load was tweeked and tweeked till I got 75% patterns at 40yds.

I also have a home brewed 3 ", 1-1/4oz. load of Steel B's(no typo here) that do 1475fps. I use these for those blue bird days when those big ol honkers just seem to hang up and not commit to well to the spread. As with the 2's I tweeked for some time till this load would do an eye opening 90% pattern at 40yds.

Time spent patterning even factory loads is time well spent.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-30-2007, 08:18 AM

We use Kent Faststeel in BB religiously. They are fast ...1550 fps, and they nock'em all down.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:25 PM

i shoot 3" BB's on geese and try to shoot 3"2's on ducks, that being said i can kill ducks and geese with both loads and do so quite often. I like to shoot 3.5" whenever possible just for the extra umph that leads to less cripples at 50+ yds
Old 08-30-2007, 08:10 PM

Anybody here remember the good ole days of lead shot?

The most popular loads in my area were #6 for ducks and #4 for geese. Some used #2 for pass shooting geese.

The widely accepted criteria, for those who are used to lead shot, and are new to steel shot, is to go down 2 numbers (up 2 sizes of shot).

That gives you #4 for ducks and #2 for geese and BB for pass shooting. Of course patterning a scattergun with steel is a little trickier than with lead, and that's where the odd numbers (B, 1, 3) come into the equation.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:15 PM
sheephunter

Actually I used primarily #4 for ducks and #2 for geese in the old days of lead so I have gone to #2 for mallards and BB for geese. I'll use #4 for smaller ducks like teal but #2s seem to suit my style of shooting better for big mallards. I'll usually use #2s for snow geese as well but prefer the BBs for the big honkers but you do need to shoot your shotguns to see what they pattern well.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:32 PM

I too, like the #2 shot for snows.

My gun will pattern fine with BB's and the right choke, But I find that when I shoot mallards and the smaller geeses like snows, lessers, Hutchies and specks with #2 shot, they hit the ground dead... where as with BB, they hit the ground and are not always dead. Wringing necks is a pain...

The name of the game, so to speak, is to figure out what works best in your gun, and learn to use it properly.

Last edited by ABDUKNUT; 08-30-2007 at 09:40 PM.