Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-24-2017, 03:25 PM

Default $59.99 rod/reel combo does the job

Howdy, all!

I was planning to try fly fishing for ages, and it finally happened about a month ago. I bought myself a rod (5/6) and reel combo at Canadian Tire for $59.99, which also included a line, a tackle box and a few "flies". The line has since been tossed and replaced with Airflo Bass/Musky WF6F.

Long story short, the rod does the job!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rainbow.jpg (46.0 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg walleye.jpg (31.2 KB, 231 views)
Old 07-24-2017, 03:37 PM

Good on ya. If you continue the sport/hobby I almost guarantee that you will be spending much, much more than $60 over the next few decades, unless fish become extinct.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Good on ya. If you continue the sport/hobby I almost guarantee that you will be spending much, much more than $60 over the next few decades, unless fish become extinct.
$60/month is a more conservative estimate...

Great catch. I've been meaning to take my fly rod out for some pike/walleye... Just haven't gotten around to it yet!
Old 07-24-2017, 04:37 PM

Way to go!
Old 07-24-2017, 05:40 PM

I've never felt the need for high end rods or reels, $100 bucks is about the most I'll spend. As long as your getting out and enjoying yourself. In the end, the fish don't care how much you spent on your rig.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:40 AM

Thanks, all!

Pike and walleye is what I mostly fish (with the fly rod, anyway) as there isn't much around close by. Not a fan of stocked trout but it sure was fun. Another fun part was that no one on the lake caught anything close in size to my catch The ones on the photo came to about 20" and 19". I also lost a couple 22-23" rainbows that day. One bent the hell out of my hook. It actually squeezed it, which was a first for me. If you saw the condition of the fly I used, you would be laughing. But it worked better than anything else. I wanted to take a pic of it but I can't find it. Hope I did not toss it to the garbage bin before leaving.

Also had a great conversation with another fly fisherman (a first for me, outside of a couple of buddies of mine) and he gave me some tips on casting, etc. I hooked him up with one of the flies that I use for walleyes that I tied myself. Not sure if the guy is on this forum, if he is, than cheers to him!

Good times overall

As for the equipment and prices, yes, stuff is expensive. I know I will be spending some money, and I do have tendencies get caught up on these things

Currently, I am looking for good vise since I have been using my buddy's that he was kind enough to loan to me. It is Peak Fishing vise and I really like it. If someone knows of a place I can buy it for a good price, I would appreciate it if you let me know. I would take a used one as well. I do need to return what I am using to my buddy by the end of the month and there are still so many flies to tie, seems like I did not even start yet.

Cheers, everyone and tight lines!

EDIT: attached a not so good photo of the fly I used that day. Just a cut out from the previously posted photo. Looks like **** but worked like a charm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the fly.jpg (67.2 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by fishnguy; 07-25-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added a photo
Old 07-30-2017, 04:17 PM

i have not spent much money fly fishing over the last 25 yrs, I buy a new bass pro white river blank every few years with reel for 100 bucks. and I order my flys from the usa for 47 cents each as the stores around Calgary are a rip off even the fishing hole started gauging people