Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 10:33 AM

Default Reloading anmounts

Just curious, how many reloads should I expect from 300wm brass that is running about 90% of max loads?
Old 07-23-2017, 10:36 AM

It really depends on the brand and are you full length resizing or just neck sizing?
Old 07-23-2017, 10:38 AM

That depends on how much you work the cases, whether you anneal the necks, and the quality of the cases.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:05 PM

Set your dies to the rifles headspace, anneal every third loading.

You'll probably get over 6 loadings per case most likely some could go upwards of 10 loadings.

I'm over 12 loadings on some 25'06 brass that I've never annealed, but only neck size. I was 8-10 on some 270WSM brass when I had that rifle. I've forgot how many loads I have on some .308 brass for my Palma rifle.(15+)

It's albout how you set your dies up, then how you work harden your brass.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-23-2017, 02:13 PM

I have gone 12+ with Norma Brass, neck sizing only. 75 grains of H1000 and a 210 VLD, min spec chamber and necks annealed every 4-5 firings.

I wouldn't go over 3 if you are full length sizing in a factory oversized chamber...

Last edited by Skytop B; 07-23-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:49 PM

Thanks guys. I'm full sizing at the moment as these have the potential to be used in more than 1 rifle. They are a mix of head stamps, mostly FC and win. I was thinking it was going to be in 3-4 max for what I'm loading
Old 07-24-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldenhwk View Post
Thanks guys. I'm full sizing at the moment as these have the potential to be used in more than 1 rifle. They are a mix of head stamps, mostly FC and win. I was thinking it was going to be in 3-4 max for what I'm loading
Mixed head stamps is not a good way to obtain consistent results, and sizing the cases enough to fit the smallest chamber will result in working the cases more than necessary, and the result will be shorter case life.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:26 PM

I have a Mauser 98 in 30-06 with a longish chamber that will cause head separation in as little as 2 re-loadings if FL RCBS resized.
This rifle bolt does not close on a NO GO gauge.
I resize using only the minimum shoulder bump required to allow gentle bolt closure.
I have a mixed headstamp box of brass that I have reloaded >30 times,
I do anneal case necks after 5 firings.

IIRC, Hatcher or Whelan reported testing to >50 loadings, and IIRC a report of army testing to >150 reloadings.

30-06 is reported to be less prone to case head separation than 308W.

I would not expect this case service life to be likely from 300WM,
but suspect that the limiting factor will be primer pocket expansion (particularly with FC brass)
and not case wall life when properly resized for minimum shoulder bump.
The short necks can be problematic if not annealed,
and necks can easily be pulled out of concentricity by an internal expander. I suggest using a Collet Neck die for best neck concentricity

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 07-24-2017, 09:16 PM
Banned

As usual qwert, you do make a lot of good points in terms of reloading. I do learn much experience from you and hope that others do as well.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:29 PM

As quert said, only bump shoulders as much as you need to,I always like to feel a little resistance when pushing bolt down.
I almost always fl size my hunting rounds,but only bump shoulders enough to chamber nicely,although not really sure if you have to worry as much with a belted case but it can't hurt.
I have 7 or 8 firings on my 7mm RM Nosler cases with no annealing and hope to get a few more on them.I have a buddy that has a 300 wm and he has some old winchester brass that he has bin using for quite a few years,I would guess he has 15 maybe more on them.
Best way to set dies i have found is put a fired case in your chamber and close bolt,you should feel some resistance but maybe not.If you do set your die a little looser than normal and size then try it in your chamber again.If you still feel resistance keep moving die down 1/16 turn at a time till you can just feel it when pushing bolt down.
Good luck
Old 07-24-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba300 View Post
As quert said, only bump shoulders as much as you need to,I always like to feel a little resistance when pushing bolt down.
I almost always fl size my hunting rounds,but only bump shoulders enough to chamber nicely,although not really sure if you have to worry as much with a belted case but it can't hurt.
snip
IIRC belted cases were developed as a way to reduce the rim dia on straight or slightly tapered large bore cartridges. The belt is not required for a case that has a shoulder large enough to control forward movement and headspace. Modern magnum designs do not have belts.
IMHO bottleneck belted cases will likely have better accuracy and MUCH better service life if the belt is ignored and NOT used for headspace control. The proper minimum shoulder bump will allow the case to headspace on the shoulder.
FL sizing a belted case to SAAMI minimum can be justified, to aid reliable chambering of dirty ammo or in a dirty chamber, when dealing with dangerous game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba300 View Post
Best way to set dies i have found is put a fired case in your chamber and close bolt,you should feel some resistance but maybe not.If you do set your die a little looser than normal and size then try it in your chamber again.If you still feel resistance keep moving die down 1/16 turn at a time till you can just feel it when pushing bolt down.
Good luck
Or use the proper over-height Redding Competition shell holder from their 5 pc set. They eliminate the need to adjust FL dies or to even tighten the die locking ring.
Some suggest allowing the die to float slightly to improve body concentricity, by using a loose die nut or an O-ring under the nut, (but I have not tested this and have my doubts), I use the Comp Shell Holder set because it is fast, easy, repeatable, and consistent even when using different presses.
Unfortunately, they are not inexpensive.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:39 AM

I have had terrible experiences with FC brass.
I only got 2 loads out of some FC brass in my 7mm rem mag 1 grain under max load. The primer pockets were so loose the primer would almost fall out.
I was neck sizing not FL sizing too.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
I only got 2 loads out of some FC brass in my 7mm rem mag 1 grain under max load. The primer pockets were so loose the primer would almost fall out.
The book max load is pretty much meaningless. A load that is fine in the rifles that the people producing the manual used, could produce excessive pressure in your rifle. The cases that they used,could have more volume than the FC cases that you used. Or your lot of powder may be different. Or your rifle might have a smaller chamber. Or the FC cases may simply be soft.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
I have had the same problem with FC brass also.