Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 06:51 PM

Default Tipi Tents

Howdy.
I'm looking at picking up a 6 man tipi tent and stove. The three companies I have in mind are Kifaru, Seek Outside, TiGoat. Unfortunately all of these are in the US which means ridiculous customs claims, on top of the steep currency exchange.

Does anyone know of a local company in Canada or someone that custom makes something similar.

Needs to be very lightweight for backpack hunting.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2017, 07:47 PM

I bought a 6-man tipi tent from seek outside this past spring... I haven't set it up yet, so can't make any review about it except that it's ultra lightweight, the stove is both compact and very sturdy when assembled.
The good thing is that it's 100% manufactured and made in USA, so the import taxes and fees were super low, due to the rules around NAFTA.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:58 PM

http://www.tipitent.com/

They are in BC
Old 05-25-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conky View Post

Their tents are over 20lbs. I'm running a (now discontinued) BCS2 from seek outside - it's 110sq feet, 6.5 feet tall and weighs 6 lbs including a titanium roll up stove I bought from AO member KillerBren's company Lite Outdoors. Tipi alone is 4lbs.

I've been happy with Seek Outside but I'm sure there are others. They're not as durable as some backpacking tents and you have to take care of them, but it's almost like having a cabin in the backcountry if the weather goes to garbage and you need to get warm and dry out.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
I bought a 6-man tipi tent from seek outside this past spring... I haven't set it up yet, so can't make any review about it except that it's ultra lightweight, the stove is both compact and very sturdy when assembled.
The good thing is that it's 100% manufactured and made in USA, so the import taxes and fees were super low, due to the rules around NAFTA.
I recently picked up the 6 man as well. Plenty roomie for 3 guys plus gear and very light. You do get hammered on the exchange rate but as mentioned import taxes weren't so bad.

As for the tent, high quality made. Look forward to using it this fall
Old 05-26-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecollector10 View Post
I recently picked up the 6 man as well. Plenty roomie for 3 guys plus gear and very light. You do get hammered on the exchange rate but as mentioned import taxes weren't so bad.

As for the tent, high quality made. Look forward to using it this fall
Where did you order from? direct from their website?
Old 05-27-2017, 07:06 AM

You can order Seek Outside from the website or call them and place an order - I did that with my Cimmaron and the service was excellent.

Great products.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:59 PM

Selfless plug here, but I run a company called LiteOutdoors and operate out of Lethbridge. I build lightweight titanium stoves and ship them all over the world. If you want to chat about tents or stoves you can send me a PM or go to my website where you can see email and phone numbers.

To answer some of your original questions, Tigoat, Kifaru and SeekOutside are all manufactured in the United States (may want to double check with the cimmarron and the sawtooth). As long as they are manufactured in the states they will not charge any Duties. All you will have to worry about is GST which you would have to pay on a Canadian product anyways. Also, its worth it to mention to only have it shipped by USPS or there is a potential to pay ridiculous brokerage fees.

How many people do you want to be in the tent with stove and gear? Depending on which tent you get, a 6 man would fit about 2-3 people comfortably. For reference I technically use a "5 man" and I fit 2 comfortably.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:28 AM

I run the Seek Outside Redcliff, and absolutely zero complaints. To save some cost, I would recommend picking up the Lite Outdoors stove from Brendan out in Lethbridge. That is what I did, and his stove goes together as simply as any out there, and it is extremely well built. I went with the largest version.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any Canadian equivalents. The exchange rate and the duty will hurt, but Seek Outside makes a tremendous product.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:41 PM

I picked up a SO 6-man and have used it solo, and with 2 and 3 guys. Three was comfortable if we were organized, 2 was lots of room. If we were going to be 3 all the time I'd look at the 8 man for the extra space and minimal weight increase. I'd highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Where did you order from? direct from their website?
Yea you bet. Was pretty effortless and great customer service
Old 05-29-2017, 12:52 PM

Never seen a tipitent. Do they have a floor or do you just bring along a tarp to use?
Old 05-29-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Never seen a tipitent. Do they have a floor or do you just bring along a tarp to use?
I have a Tigoat tipi. No floor, just use a tarp.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:19 PM

Default Stove and tipi

Hey. Me and a buddy of mine have designed and built a couple tipi's and stoves. They are about 6 man sized. 7.5ft high. Tipi and stove are aprox 7 pounds total. Pm me if you want some pics and more info. We haven't had the time this spring to get out and test them as much as we could of liked but they are solid. We will be selling them for about 30-40% cheaper then tigoat and seek outside to start. I have a tigoat tipi and stove that I like but will be ditching them for the custom builds this sheep season.