Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-04-2016, 09:40 PM

Default Accuracy and ATA length?

Just wanted to hear some opinions on the relationship between accuracy and ATA length.

I had a Hoyt Carbon Element G3 32 inch ata bow last couple of years, shot it very well. Picked up a Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30 ata this year, shooting it ok.
I am having trouble being as accurate ( good groupings) anything past 50 yards. I didn't have this problem with my Element.

Still using the same rest, QAD HDX rest, and same arrows. I did upgrade my sight.

Im not sure if its me, haven't shot at much this year, with the wildfires and everything or if its the bow.

Any suggestions? I heard maybe a longer stabilizer may help or go back to a longer ATA Bow?
Old 10-04-2016, 09:59 PM

Does anyone really want a longer stab on a hunting bow. My opinion is longer ata bows are usually more forgiving. My personal preference is 36 inches but I am a longer draw.
That said maybe give it a little time and maybe do a little micro tuning.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Does anyone really want a longer stab on a hunting bow. My opinion is longer ata bows are usually more forgiving. My personal preference is 36 inches but I am a longer draw.
That said maybe give it a little time and maybe do a little micro tuning.
I was thinking the same thing about stabs? why put a heavier, longer one on a lighter hunting bow...kind of defeats the purpose. The only good thing about it is its cheaper then buying a new bow. I have a 6 inch Hoyt Carbon Blade. I was thinking of going to a 8 inch Bee Stinger?

I had it tuned and set up by Jim himself at Jim Bows in Calgary. My draw length is only 28.5 though
Old 10-04-2016, 10:40 PM

My hunting bow has a 9 inch stab on the front with no added weight and a 6 inch out the side/back with 8oz of weight, 28 inch draw and 31 ATA. Longer bows do seem to stabilize better and faster.

I shot the same bow in ABA Hunter Challenge Class and I find it shoots well, really stable and with a bit extra weight I hardly notice. Other people say my bow is heavy but I really don't notice because all my bows are heavy

LC
Old 10-06-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
My hunting bow has a 9 inch stab on the front with no added weight and a 6 inch out the side/back with 8oz of weight, 28 inch draw and 31 ATA. Longer bows do seem to stabilize better and faster.

I shot the same bow in ABA Hunter Challenge Class and I find it shoots well, really stable and with a bit extra weight I hardly notice. Other people say my bow is heavy but I really don't notice because all my bows are heavy

LC
thanks LC. Do you think I should try a few different stabilizers before buying a new bow?
Old 10-06-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
thanks LC. Do you think I should try a few different stabilizers before buying a new bow?
For sure, go to Jimbows you can try before you buy....stabs or a bow.

LC
Old 10-06-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
For sure, go to Jimbows you can try before you buy....stabs or a bow.

LC
that's my shop, bought my Hoyt and Axcel Accustat there this year.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
I would have Jim take another look at your existing bow. Even though it was set up and tuned it may have stretched a bit since then and something may have changed. Sometimes all it takes is a twist or two on the yoke and you will be surprised at how much difference it makes. A stabilizer on a hunting bow is pretty much just to hold the wrist strap on and soak up the vibration. That said I use a 9 inch Bee Stinger with a side bar to balance out the quiver and sight.