Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-25-2016, 07:56 AM

Default Got my first bow whitetail! Thank you AO!

I've been rifle hunting a couple years now but waiting till November has been killing me this year. I wanted to get out. So I went on Kijiji and bought a used old bow with all accessories for 200 bucks. I didn't want to spend a lot if I wasn't going to like it. I bought a target at Canadian tire and started practicing. I was able to get a 6 inch grouping at 30 yard after about 100 arrows. Then I saw tree stands go on sale. Sold. Phoned a friend a played ball with for permission on land out by Bottrel and he was nice enough to grant me. So yesterday I assembled my tree stand and headed out around 3 to set it up. Got it up around 4:30 and sat my butt in it. Saw a few does go by 100 yards out over the next couple hours then saw a little buck at 5 o clock about 80 yards out. I kept an eye on him and sure enough over then next 20 mins he worked his way about 20 yards right in front of me about 2 o'clock. I slowly stood up, turned, drew, aimed and let her fly, the arrow went in just behind the shoulder blade and wet straight through. The deer startled, ran about 200 ft and laid down. A successful hunt. Not a trophy but meat in the freezer. What a rush. Now to fill my supplement. I love not fighting the rodeo of rifle season. I learned a lot here and would like to thank all. My goal is a bull elk! Thanks.

Sorry no pics due to me leaving my phone in my truck!
Old 09-25-2016, 08:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Sweet mother luv of jeepers...same day, set up stand, sit, wait, shoot and take your first deer with a bow...you sir are one lucky hunter for sure, either way you got it done, congrats on the archery buck

Now rub some of that magical luck on the rest of us

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-25-2016, 08:01 AM
Banned

What an awesome turn of events, Lady Luck was on your side!

Congrats on your buck and good luck on the supplimental.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:02 AM

Congrats! Hope I can do the same thing lol. Not likely with my luck
Old 09-25-2016, 08:18 AM

Way to go!!! Isn't that the absolute best feeling when you get your first animal? Bet your knees were shakin' after. Kudos to you for all the research you did on your own to make this happen. You're hooked now. There's no going back!!
Old 09-25-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
Way to go!!! Isn't that the absolute best feeling when you get your first animal? Bet your knees were shakin' after. Kudos to you for all the research you did on your own to make this happen. You're hooked now. There's no going back!!
Thanks, I did do a lot of research and practice. I knew I wasn't consistent outside 30 yards so I wasn't going to take any longer of a shot than that. I hunt for the thrill and meat, not so much the trophy but I do feel if I'm going to take the life of an animal I owe it enough to be able to make a clean consistent kill shot that I can confidently take.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabm7 View Post
Thanks, I did do a lot of research and practice. I knew I wasn't consistent outside 30 yards so I wasn't going to take any longer of a shot than that. I hunt for the thrill and meat, not so much the trophy but I do feel if I'm going to take the life of an animal I owe it enough to be able to make a clean consistent kill shot that I can confidently take.
Man, I wish we could make you our "poster boy" with the attitude you have toward hunting and ethical shots! Too many guys out there are taking chances on shooting way to far at an animal with often poor outcomes. What they are really missing out on is the sheer thrill of having an animal that close without being detected. You not only have the bragging rights of getting your game but also the fact that you got so close without getting busted!! Congrats!
Old 09-25-2016, 10:48 AM

Hopefully you snapped a few pics of your first bow buck. I got my first last week, and what a thrill!

Welcome to the club!
Old 09-26-2016, 09:19 AM

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

Awesome. Congrats on your first archery buck!
Old 09-26-2016, 12:48 PM

good stuff. Yeah, I don't miss the Nov1 gong shows.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:45 AM

Congrats on your first buck with the bow!!
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-30-2016, 05:48 AM

Default Congrats!!

Hey a "First" animal is a trophy in my book regardless of "rack"
sorry to hijack this thread but
I remember when i got my FIRST whitetail it was the 2014/15 season, little spiked buck about 75 Yards away, I dropped him with my dads old lakefield mosberg 500 while he was slowly loping near a small patch of brush....On my moms birthday too! haha
I still have his hide that i tanned myself, as well as his antlers on a key chain with my mosberg keys on it!!!!

But enough about me! Congrats to you and now you'll have a heck of a story to share with it as well, be proud of that one!!!!
Old 09-30-2016, 08:32 AM

Congrats, hope you are hooked now!

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-30-2016, 11:06 AM

Congrats!
Old 09-30-2016, 12:09 PM

Old 10-01-2016, 11:39 AM

I'm definitely hooked, I was planning to go back to my stand tomorrow morning to try and fill my supplement doe, but a friend of mine saw a large herd of elk yesterday in a rather close area so I might be going to try and bag one of those instead. Either way it will be fun.

I sure don't miss the rodeo of rifle season and truck hunters.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:26 PM

Congrats. That's awesome.

I have yet to get my first bow kill. But am working towards that goal.