Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-24-2016, 09:00 PM

Default Sherwood Park Fish and Game Archery Work Party

Thanks to Schian, jkav and Triggerhappy69 for all their help today replacing the tentest on the target butts and moving the target butts on right side to yards. Without you showing up to help today, none of this would have been done. We unfortunately found a 4 blade broadhead buried with broken off arrow in the 50 yd butt along with a three blade broadhead. It's a good thing we were being very careful when we took the butts apart as someone could have been cut very badly. We ran out of tentest on the 40 yd butt and have ordered more which we will pick up this week. Butt is useable; just a little short! It would be VERY advisable to use Ivory soap if you are planning to shoot the new butts. Tentest can be a pain in the butt(no pun intended) to get your arrows out of.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:14 PM

As always,it is our pleasure to help with the improvements to our fine range. It is all done by volunteers who are members so as ALL members may enjoy a top notch facility. Meeting new people who enjoy the same things and work together.The biggest thanks goes out to you two who put the most time and energy in to make sure we have the best outdoor archery range to shoot at!
Thankyou!
Old 09-24-2016, 10:27 PM

Thanks for doing that folks, I had planned initially on being able to assist but was unable to.

Let's hope the messages about range misuse are heard loud and clear and things turn around as far as that goes.

LC
Old 09-24-2016, 11:12 PM

We were very happy to be able to help out today, and had a great time doing so. Thanks to Arrow Dog for arranging the work party - what a great group of people! The SPFGA range is a true gem, as much for the people as for the facilities. We're looking forward to shooting the new targets.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:13 AM

Thanks! You guys are great. Next work party will probably be in the spring and hope to close in back wall of shooting house with plexiglass. What do you all think of having a one day 3D shoot next month just on the target range? Maybe put out some critters at different distances and angles? Just a "no charge, come and do some shooting at critters" kind-of-day?
Old 09-25-2016, 02:15 PM

good job all. I will probably be concentrating on hunting in the next month, but who knows what the schedule will bring. Kids would like that so might just work out.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:15 PM

Sounds like an awesome idea on the 3D shoot if we are off on the chosen day
Old 09-25-2016, 07:20 PM

Thinking of Saturday, October 8 of Thanksgiving weekend for one day fun shoot of 3D targets on the target range. Does this work for anybody??
Old 09-25-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
Thinking of Saturday, October 8 of Thanksgiving weekend for one day fun shoot of 3D targets on the target range. Does this work for anybody??
That would be a definite yes for us two on that day!
Old 09-25-2016, 07:47 PM

Gonna start a new thread for this and see what response we get.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:33 AM

Glad I could help! Sorry I had to leave early.
Looking forward to testing the new butts out, not looking forward to pulling the arrows out though! Haha. Will definitely be using some soap, probably old spice tho, I like my arrows to at least smell good even if if they don't look good.

Schian
Old 09-26-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Thanks for doing that folks, I had planned initially on being able to assist but was unable to.

Let's hope the messages about range misuse are heard loud and clear and things turn around as far as that goes.

LC
x2
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-30-2016, 12:52 PM

Default Range Issue

Was at the range today and decided to take a few shots at the butts. I only shot 3 arrows into the 30 yard butt. After about 15 minutes I was able to get them out. In the end I needed to loosen the nut on the threaded rod to reduced the pressure on the panels. When I did get them out 2 of the 3 arrows were covered in a black sticky substance (like tar). The 2 covered in black had split the panels on entry. The panels appear to be different than the previous ones and have a black outer covering.

I am shooting 65 lbs at 28.5 with a 435 grain arrow, so nothing crazy. Also all 3 arrows were dipped twice in the "lube tube" and I visually saw that they were wet and glossy.

The paper towel photo is what I removed from 1 arrow at home with hot water, soap and scrub bud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2383.JPG (163.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2384.JPG (128.5 KB, 53 views)
Old 09-30-2016, 01:18 PM

Darn! There is two types of "ten test" one that has tar and one that doesn't. Ran into this issue in Lac La Biche at Provincials.

The tar sided ten test is not the good one for archery targets.

Some arrow needed 3 grown men to pull them at Provincials...Lac La Biche is looking at changing out all affected butts.

LC
Old 09-30-2016, 02:39 PM

well that's not good ... makes for a sticky mess
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 09-30-2016, 02:46 PM

I ordered the tentest .... without any knowledge of composition specifics. I know there were concerns with the difficulty of pulling arrows a few years ago when the initial butts were installed with tentest from the same supplier. We recommend the use of soap as lube, and backed completely off the top bolt/nuts.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I ordered the tentest .... without any knowledge of composition specifics. I know there were concerns with the difficulty of pulling arrows a few years ago when the initial butts were installed with tentest from the same supplier. We recommend the use of soap as lube, and backed completely off the top bolt/nuts.
First time I saw the tentest with tar was a couple weekends back, I didn't know there were two types till then. I would bet the tar coated one is more common for its actual use than the non-tar coated.

LC
Old 09-30-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
First time I saw the tentest with tar was a couple weekends back, I didn't know there were two types till then. I would bet the tar coated one is more common for its actual use than the non-tar coated.

LC
Tar coated tentest is often used as a buffer between concrete foundation walls and concrete slabs. It allows for expansion of the slab without causing stress cracks. The non coated version is more likely to be used in party walls of condos or townhouses to help with noise reduction. I'm not a fan of using it as an archery target. It does work, but it's very messy, and sometimes almost impossible to pull arrows from. It does stand up to weather quite well though.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:13 PM

It sounds like we got the expansion joint version. I cannot see tossing the stuff we got, but perhaps there is some potential for resolution given that only half the butts were upgraded.

Given the condition of the old tentest, I assume the other half (metric side), will need to be replaced before too long....at which time a changeover could be made by placing the expansion joint material on the top and bottom section of each butt ... with the right stuff stacked 2' deep in the cente? Or, by stacking the wafers alternately?
Old 09-30-2016, 06:21 PM

After all the work we have done, the language that we would like to use is not allowed on here! It didn't even occur to us to check the type of tentest we ordered. We thought the supplier would send the same material as last time. The tentest will definitely have to be replaced as soon as possible. We do have enough old tentest in not too bad a shape to replaced the tentest on the 30 metre butt. However, with the amount of work that we did, once the proper tentest is ordered, there is no way that the work can be done again without a lot more volunteer help. The yardage butts were all moved with seven people and we cannot impose on those same volunteers again. If you are prepared to help out, please let me know. If not, the repair will have to wait until spring.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:23 PM

Arrangements are being made for the supply of non-tar based tentest. Arrow dog will let volunteers know when delivery is made. My apology for the bugger-up, I didn't know about the tar test version...live and learn.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:55 AM

Quote:
After all the work we have done, the language that we would like to use is not allowed on here! It didn't even occur to us to check the type of tentest we ordered. We thought the supplier would send the same material as last time. The tentest will definitely have to be replaced as soon as possible. We do have enough old tentest in not too bad a shape to replaced the tentest on the 30 metre butt. However, with the amount of work that we did, once the proper tentest is ordered, there is no way that the work can be done again without a lot more volunteer help. The yardage butts were all moved with seven people and we cannot impose on those same volunteers again. If you are prepared to help out, please let me know. If not, the repair will have to wait until spring.
Oh boy oh boy!!
If you get the tentest for next weekend,Veronica and I will be out to help with the replacement.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Arrangements are being made for the supply of non-tar based tentest. Arrow dog will let volunteers know when delivery is made. My apology for the bugger-up, I didn't know about the tar test version...live and learn.
Don't be too hard on yourself, it happens! I didn't know there were two types till a month ago myself.

LC
Old 10-01-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Hey, don't even worry about it! Stuff happens. It won't take near as long to replace the tentest as it did to move the target butts. Besides, it is another opportunity to meet and visit with the members that decide to come out and help. Will advise on here when tentest has been delivered and go from there.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerhappy69 View Post
Oh boy oh boy!!
If you get the tentest for next weekend,Veronica and I will be out to help with the replacement.
You guys are awesome!! Archery range hasn't seem this much action in a long time
Old 10-01-2016, 01:45 PM

Thanks to all who have put so much effort into our archery range this year. I barely shot my rifles this summer because I was too busy shooting my bow. The new 3-d targets were an awesome addition and the changing of some of the target butts to yards is going to be great for all of us that like to be dialed in for yards instead of metres. Thanks to arrow dog for getting the ball rolling in the right direction. The range has improved 10 fold since you guys took over. Thank you to 260 R.E.M. For all of his hard work to help maintain the entire site. Your countless hours of effort to keep us shooting, are much appreciated! Love this range! Sad that I don't have more time to get out there and help out!
Old 10-01-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Hey, don't even worry about it! Stuff happens. It won't take near as long to replace the tentest as it did to move the target butts. Besides, it is another opportunity to meet and visit with the members that decide to come out and help. Will advise on here when tentest has been delivered and go from there.
Please do announce when the work party will be. If we can make it, we'll be there!

Many thanks for all your efforts, arrow dog and 260 Rem!
Old 10-01-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkav View Post
Please do announce when the work party will be. If we can make it, we'll be there!

Many thanks for all your efforts, arrow dog and 260 Rem!
Thanks for all the kind words everybody! Much appreciated. We're going to look into different types of target butts at this point to see if we can get away from the tentest entirely. May not be right away so no promises, but we're going to try. Will be a lot more cost so will see what financial department has to say.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:04 PM

The new tentest has been ordered so work party to replace the yardage butt tentest will be Saturday October 8 at 10AM. If you are planning on helping, please bring a crescent wrench or two. Shouldn't take too long as we just have to slide out the "tar stuff" and put in the new. Signs have been posted warning not to use the yardage butts on the right side of the range until the tentest has been replaced. If you do use them, you will have a heck of a time getting your arrows out and they will be covered in tar!

Bring your bows just in case as we may put out some 3D targets to play with after if we get done quickly!
Old 10-02-2016, 01:44 PM

We're also looking at purchasing a couple of target butts i.e Block or Grizz at 4' x 4' size to arrow test for durability. Won't be looking into getting them til next year. Would appreciate any ideas or info from those of you that have used a big target outdoors extensively. Still not committed to a brand name yet.