Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-17-2016, 12:29 PM

Default Can I carry a rifle/shotgun while bowhunting

Quick question. Taking daughter out bowhunting and her boyfriend wants to tag along to observe and take pics. However he has never been in bush before and is terrified to come unless we carry a gun too.Apparently friends or relatives of his got nailed by a bear in past and that has him petrified of woods. I have 2 canisters of bear spray but thats not convincing him. Id really like him to experience the woods and what its all about. Can I legally carry a rifle or shotgun with me as protection to give him peace of mind
Thanks
PS I have both bear tag and game bird licences
Old 09-17-2016, 12:37 PM

I am also interested in this. Not for protection but I may need to fill an antler less mule deer tag with bow but at the same time hunt whitetail with the rifle. Walking around with all that gear doesn't sound fun though.

Last edited by Passthru; 09-17-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:57 PM

You can carry a non restricted firearm wherever and whenever you want, outside of parks with a firearms regulation to the contrary. I frequently carry both a bow and rifle for hunting, and a rifle or shotgun while fishing in bear country.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
I am also interested in this. Not for protection but I may need to fill an antler less mule deer tag with bow but at the same time hunt whitetail with the rifle. Walking around with all that gear doesn't sound fun though.
What wmu are you hunting in? I've never seen a zone where mule deer were not open for rifle at the same time as whitetails. Is it just preference to take the muley doe with the bow?
Old 09-17-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
What wmu are you hunting in? I've never seen a zone where mule deer were not open for rifle at the same time as whitetails. Is it just preference to take the muley doe with the bow?
That would be 502. Mule deer is on draw other than antlerless with a bow, where white tails are general there.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
That would be 502. Mule deer is on draw other than antlerless with a bow, where white tails are general there.
According to Ihunter Alberta, the bow season for muley doe is over on the 31st of October, and general for whitetails doesn't open until the 1st of November. So I'm not sure how that's possible. Maybe it's changed for this season?
Old 09-17-2016, 02:40 PM

Ah, checked it again. You would be right. Sorry, concentrating on moose right now and not thinking straight
Old 09-17-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Ah, checked it again. You would be right. Sorry, concentrating on moose right now and not thinking straight
No problem buddy, wasn't trying to be a know it all. Just don't want to see anyone get charged over a misunderstanding. Good luck with your moose!!
Old 09-17-2016, 11:19 PM

I can see no legal reason why not. I do carry a short shotgun when bowhunting sometimes, depending on where I am hunting. I carry bear spray too but the shotgun is far more comforting. I encountered a massive sow with 2 cubs while elk hunting this week, didn't have my shotgun but was able to work my way around her without issue...but at that moment the shotgun would have been kinda nice.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:37 AM

I have never heard of a law stating you cannot. There are high country areas I've been trying to hunt along the mountains that I wouldn't be caught dead without my rifle .
Although if it came down to it, it'd be less paperwork and hassle to just shoot myself rather than a grizz if it came down to it.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:43 PM

Of course you can. Be it for personal protection or hunting coyotes, you are always allowed to carry a legal firearm in the bush.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:44 PM

Yes, any resident of Alberta with a valid PAL can carry a non restricted firarm in rural Alberta while walking, hunting or otherwise.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:10 AM

My dad always makes me take the 12guage defender with me when I go solo bow hunting. Ever since we had some incidents with bears under 10 yards...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2016, 06:57 AM

I'm not trying to contradict what the others have said here, but last year I ran into a Fish cop down the trunk road while scouting for moose.

He asked me and my hunting partner if we had any firearms with with us, and said that it was illegal to archery hunt and to carry a firearm, even if just for protection. He said that in his opinion that a can of bear spray was much more reliable than a firearm against a bear.... I always feel better in the bush with a 12g and slugs.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
I'm not trying to contradict what the others have said here, but last year I ran into a Fish cop down the trunk road while scouting for moose.

He asked me and my hunting partner if we had any firearms with with us, and said that it was illegal to archery hunt and to carry a firearm, even if just for protection. He said that in his opinion that a can of bear spray was much more reliable than a firearm against a bear.... I always feel better in the bush with a 12g and slugs.
Think your fish cop is I'l informed
Old 09-27-2016, 10:58 AM

Defiantly not illegal to carry a firearm while out bow hunting . Been doing it since I started bow hunting . Been stopped buy the warden a few times never had a problem yet . 12 gage defender and sometimes a 300 wm , I do always purchase a black bear tag also . Never shoot a bear, never hope I have to . also if your walking out of the timber in the dark and you get that uneasy feeling and your flashlight lights up 4 cougar eyes trailing you .i don't think that can of bear spray I carry is making me feel half as safe as the scatter gun .But I feel a lot better knowing that me and the girlfriend both have our guns with us especially with the kiddos out with us . We also shoot any yotes we can
Old 09-27-2016, 04:07 PM

I used to carry a gun when I was guiding but now to me bear spray would be more effective. About the only circumstance that I would say not is if was windy and in your face then look out I bet a good percentage of people would have trouble shooting a charging bear in the right spot to make it more dangerous. But as for legal wise as long as you have a pal you are legal but not in any parks. Then you would have to rely on bear spray
Old 09-27-2016, 04:58 PM

Tell your daughter to get a boyfriend with a pair.
On second thought, if you are a protective father, this boy might do just fine. LOL

I'm KIDDING.

I do understand his fear. My wife is pretty bear phobic. I would try to convince him a little harder about the bear spray. If he sticks with his present outlook I guess he will never have to worry about going hiking or fishing in a park, etc. Good luck!