Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-07-2016, 03:05 PM

Default Noisy arrow....* Tip * !

Some arrows with some rests are noisy on draw...and even harder to pull on some targets.

I'm shooting the new CX Maxima Blue RZ which has the red zone technology in them...with the Ugly Cookie [WB]
for most that's a noisy combo...however my draw is whisper quite...

Why? well Ugly Cookie is set up correct to start and I use Scorpion Biscuit lube...
http://www.scorpionvenom-archery.com/biscuit-spray/

That's part of my solution but the big one is arrows...

Arrow logos collect dust easily ...Dust is noisy in all rests removing dust from arrows before setting on rest in the stand is a great idea...
I also remove the arrow logos...for that reason ...and blue doesn't go with my black and white set up...lol

Then I take fine steel wool and work the entire arrow before fletching [take nock out] just like you were sanding entire arrow with steel wool, the more you use the steel wool the slicker the arrow surface becomes...

not only does that make the arrow quitter it makes it easier to pull out of some targets...and third bonus is it preps for fletching...wash with warm water and dish soap...its a de-greaser !

before fletching I clean fletching area on arrow and vane with a quick rub with acetone...

some even took it a step further by lightly soaking a rag with Armour-all, arrow lube or the Biscuit spray and rub into arrow, then with clean cloth remove as much as possible...

Done right mine is quite enough without adding the lubes etc...I believe the additives collect dust faster...

Never have an animal spook on draw from noise, ...movement yes...that's another tip...

Neil

Last edited by L.O.S.T.Arrow; 07-07-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:28 PM

never had a problem with noise except with the ugly cookie... QAD hdx is quite with any arrow ... pulling them out of a target well that's another story ....
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 07-07-2016, 08:02 PM

Interesting about buffing the arrows. I just hate the look of the logos to begin with. Now I have a reason to justify getting them off
Old 07-07-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
never had a problem with noise except with the ugly cookie... QAD hdx is quite with any arrow ... pulling them out of a target well that's another story ....
I just switched form a qad to a hamskea hunter hybrid and it is the quietest rest I have ever used. Ever.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
I just switched form a qad to a hamskea hunter hybrid and it is the quietest rest I have ever used. Ever.
Yup...I agree totally, when I switch from QAD to Hamskea I was amazed at how quiet it was!

LC
Old 07-08-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Interesting about buffing the arrows. I just hate the look of the logos to begin with. Now I have a reason to justify getting them off
Simple ..easier to do before fletching but can do with fletch also...simply dip same steel wool in acetone and rub logos ...they come off in seconds... wipe with clean rag damp with acetone ...rinse with warm water and dish soap or do buff step above before rinse with water...

Don't get acetone on vanes or nock, Don't let acetone sit too long on arrows...

Neil
Old 07-08-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yup...I agree totally, when I switch from QAD to Hamskea I was amazed at how quiet it was!

LC
Everyone looked at me like I was out on left field saying QADs were loud. The trophy takers are extremely quiet too.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:29 PM

Qad hdx is loud!
Old 09-27-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
^Yep, I don't notice any noise coming off my QAD HDX either, but I've got moleskin on it to be sure.... However, I did have some arrows (DarkHorse?) that I could not pull from the old tentest targets at the Calgary Archers club... I was so excited when the DH arrows arrived and then after my first group into a target, I thought that someone had treated the target with glue! I almost pulled my shoulder off trying to get those arrows out (they looked good though).

My solution to the arrows sticking (and I tried everything including arrow lube) was to remove the nock, place the nock end in my cordless drill and fire it up, sanding off the glass like finish of the arrow for the first 12-13" from the point end. After that, they pulled out OK but with still considerable effort. Nothing like the FMJ's that I'm shooting now....

Good points on removing the logos Neil. But I'll keep the logos / weight identifier on my FMJ's as I still have some 340s left over - currently shooting 300s and would hate to pull out any remaining hair from not being to figure out which arrow I might be shooting.

J.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:30 AM

The noise from the QAD comes from the shot...when the launcher slaps the riser shelf. Some bows it can be set back where it doesn't hit and others it has no where else to go. The draw on my QAD is quiet but the shot is noisy.

LC
Old 09-27-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The noise from the QAD comes from the shot...when the launcher slaps the riser shelf. Some bows it can be set back where it doesn't hit and others it has no where else to go. The draw on my QAD is quiet but the shot is noisy.

LC
Hmmm.... I've got really bad hearing then because I can't (or don't) notice the sound of the launcher upon the shot. I do hear the bow itself, but it's not any louder than any other bow I've heard going off? Guess I'm just not concentrating hard enough on hearing those smaller sounds? Yeah, on my bow, the launcher can't be positioned far enough back to clear the riser when dropping. The bow does have a rubber pad on the arrow window though, so maybe that's dampening the noise enough that I don't notice? Tough for me to tell.

J.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Hmmm.... I've got really bad hearing then because I can't (or don't) notice the sound of the launcher upon the shot. I do hear the bow itself, but it's not any louder than any other bow I've heard going off? Guess I'm just not concentrating hard enough on hearing those smaller sounds? Yeah, on my bow, the launcher can't be positioned far enough back to clear the riser when dropping. The bow does have a rubber pad on the arrow window though, so maybe that's dampening the noise enough that I don't notice? Tough for me to tell.

J.
I honestly didn't notice until I switched rests on the same bow....it made a BIG difference, comparing the two styles of rest QAD HDX and Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Pro.

LC
Old 09-28-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Some arrows with some rests are noisy on draw...and even harder to pull on some targets.

I'm shooting the new CX Maxima Blue RZ which has the red zone technology in them...with the Ugly Cookie [WB]
for most that's a noisy combo...however my draw is whisper quite...

Why? well Ugly Cookie is set up correct to start and I use Scorpion Biscuit lube...
http://www.scorpionvenom-archery.com/biscuit-spray/

That's part of my solution but the big one is arrows...

Arrow logos collect dust easily ...Dust is noisy in all rests removing dust from arrows before setting on rest in the stand is a great idea...
I also remove the arrow logos...for that reason ...and blue doesn't go with my black and white set up...lol

Then I take fine steel wool and work the entire arrow before fletching [take nock out] just like you were sanding entire arrow with steel wool, the more you use the steel wool the slicker the arrow surface becomes...

not only does that make the arrow quitter it makes it easier to pull out of some targets...and third bonus is it preps for fletching...wash with warm water and dish soap...its a de-greaser !

before fletching I clean fletching area on arrow and vane with a quick rub with acetone...

some even took it a step further by lightly soaking a rag with Armour-all, arrow lube or the Biscuit spray and rub into arrow, then with clean cloth remove as much as possible...

Done right mine is quite enough without adding the lubes etc...I believe the additives collect dust faster...

Never have an animal spook on draw from noise, ...movement yes...that's another tip...

Neil
Hell yeah buddy. Neil has just invented the" WHISPER BISCUIT". I love those things too, great tips.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:35 PM

Have you tried the Victory arrows with their ICE coating. Way slicker than any of my other easton arrows and quiet. Easy to pull out of targets
Old 09-29-2016, 11:52 AM

just finished a two week hunting trip where I successfully stalked bull moose from 400 yards to 34 yards. I also had a bull moose walk into 10 yards. I missed out on both of them as my arrow was too noisy in my rest and just before I got to full draw both bolted. Talk about frustrating and disheartening. Using FMJ's with QAD rest. my temp fix after that was a piece of bandaid on the rest. unfortunetly I had to more shooting opportunities after that
Old 09-29-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
just finished a two week hunting trip where I successfully stalked bull moose from 400 yards to 34 yards. I also had a bull moose walk into 10 yards. I missed out on both of them as my arrow was too noisy in my rest and just before I got to full draw both bolted. Talk about frustrating and disheartening. Using FMJ's with QAD rest. my temp fix after that was a piece of bandaid on the rest. unfortunetly I had to more shooting opportunities after that
Where did the factory supplied felt piece for the launcher arm go? It must have been gone to make any kind of noise? I shot the qad for many years and never had an issue unless I had removed the felt piece. I only did that once......
Old 09-29-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Where did the factory supplied felt piece for the launcher arm go? It must have been gone to make any kind of noise? I shot the qad for many years and never had an issue unless I had removed the felt piece. I only did that once......
I didn't get a felt piece.....I bought my bow as a package so the rest was already installed and no packaging. Right now its just bare arm. Wasn't aware it ws supposed to have felt with it
Old 09-29-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
I didn't get a felt piece.....I bought my bow as a package so the rest was already installed and no packaging. Right now its just bare arm. Wasn't aware it ws supposed to have felt with it
Yup felt on the launcher and the containment arm, Jimbows and Cabela's sells spare felt.

LC
Old 09-29-2016, 01:53 PM

Ya, they are available for sure. They don't last forever though, and will wear out and fall off in time. They need to be replaced periodically. Sometimes a thin coating of clear nail polish will provide a durable, noise free (while drawing the bow, not for the arrow clunking against the containment devices) solution as well, depending on the finish of the arrow.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk