Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-12-2008, 01:46 AM

Default mentor in Central/ southern Alberta

Soooo..... Being a full grown man, this question is, well, a little ackward and embarraing to be putting out there, but pride aside, here it is. As a new Archer/bowhunter with plans of growing into a highly skilled and respectable member of this society, I figure that it cant be a harmful thing to be asking a group of individuals who care about the hunting community and the world in which it exists. Is it unheard of to come across veterans, if you will, who care to share there wealth of knowledge to a younger individual who has a strong desire to learn and grow and eventually teach his own kid....A right way of doing things from finding good hunting ground(public or private), to dressing game, to just general good practice.

I recently decided that I've waited far to long to learn an essential skill in life(Not Installing toilets and custom showers) and as I emmerse myself into it, I'm finding the urge and desire growing to be the best I can be at something that really matters.

Thoughts, critisizm, good solid HELP(especially) are all welcome.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:58 AM
Hoochie Papa

Well, first off, you have come to the right place. Here you will find a wealth of knowledge that will help you out in every way. That is if you can handle the rowdy bunch in here. (Tree Guy, RNP, and Jester......you know who you are!)

Give us a little more detail on where you stand right now. How long you been shooting, how long you been hunting, what are your hunting and shooting goals.... stuff like that.

And Welcome aboard!!!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 01:14 AM

well here I am again depriving myself of sleep to get this message up and they go dream about bows....yup it happened last night. I woke up and instead of shooting bows I had to put on the overalls and go to work. sucks when that happens.....anyways you want some detail, heres some more detail.

I'm a city slicker who has always been drawn to the outdoors with very llittle oppertunity to submerge my self besides the odd camping trip and...hmmm....boy scouts, but that was quite a while ago. Sad , yeah , well I know. whatever. No longer will I substitute the crap that mainstream society shoves in our faces(video games and ****) for the real deal. Blah, blah, blah. Okay, back to the important stuff. My and a good friend just recently purchased some compound bows and have been shooting for about 2 months now. became members of the calgary archers club( I try and shoot every day), Have taken my hunters training course at AHEIA, and am now stocking up on hunting gear. I'm going to get some camo this weekend and some scent blocking stuff.

Where I stand....
Shooting 2 months. learning very quickly I would like to think. I feel pretty comfotable at 40 meters.
Hunting....never. Killed some gophers with a 22 when I was like 8.

Hunting goals. If all hell breaks loose and we have to run for the hills, I want to be able to support and defend my family or at least die trying. But to apply it to everyday life, to be honest. I really want to learn to live off the land more and more because I'm tired of grocery stores, I'm tired of traffic, I'm tired of a lot of **** and this doesn't really feel like what I think life should feel like. I'm getting old and its time for me to learn real survival skills(not the skills I've mastered so I can make a LIVING) so I can at least escape out every once in a while and live what makes my heart pump just thinking about it. I'm sure everybody has different reasons but those are mine and I think there will be some here that understand.

Now to pin point those goals. I'm thinking of trekking through WMU 410, which is the Canmore area which is Archery Only. I'm certain that A skilled hunter could make there way to harvesting White tail, mulie,Elk ,Moose,Bear, sheep, whatever they want, but I however am not skilled, so as it stands I intend to hopefully spot and stalk, ideally an elk but would be happy to harvest anything tasty this season. I would like to hunt from blinds and treestands but this season without a little help on that I dont see it happening. which is Okay. this season is about getting some essential knowledge, more than a big trophy(but a trophy would be sweet too).heheh.

So hopefully that paints a little clearer picture of me and my situation. And i do appologize for sounding Angry and bitter, but I dont get to vent that often. I'm really, really excited about this season and about the fact that I sincerely feel inside I have a found a true calling in life and am about to be living a dream season. Just hopefully I can pull my self out of it long enough to keep my Job come Sept. 3 lol.

thanks and good hunting
Old 08-13-2008, 02:49 AM

As an archery hunter you are in a good place. The Cgy bow zone has some massive mulies roaming around. It may be tough to find permission though but hey, no better way to burn a saturday than finding some fresh hunting grounds. I have heard that the springbank/calaway park area has some good hunting. Grab a county map and hit the roads. Don't expect to be successful in taking an animal in your first year of archery hunting. Mistakes will be made but as long as you learn from them you will eventually find success. Besides, I think that you would agree the best part of hunting is not the killing. It is the outdoors that draw me out every year. The thrill of a deer or elk at 20 yards while you try and hold a bow with shaking hands is far better than anything else I have found. If you aren't hooked by the bugle of a bull elk at 50 yards then I would check for a pulse.

Welcome to the community
Old 08-19-2008, 05:37 PM

yup, there are many aspects to hunting that I am definitely excited about... not just killing something. It is definitely a rush when you go walking through the woods and come close to some big game and are able to just observe(especially without being noticed) for a while. I really cant wait until I can call something in. The whole of just being out there and actually communicating with the animals is pretty amazing. even if the main reason is to put it on the dinner plate, once the skills are attained, I think it will be equally fascinating to call something in and see it exsisting as only it knows how to in its natural habitat.
Anyways, I'm all primed up thats for sure.