Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Hoochie Papa

Angry I'm gonna cry

Was shooting today. Putting 6" groups at 50 yards. Not bad considering I've only fired 100 since I added a sight for the first time ever.

Last shot sounded funny so I had a look. Top cam was cockeyed. Further inspection required. Yup.........cracked limb.

Good news- It didn't blow up in my face.
Bad news- It's a Champion. No parts, no warranty.

Not a lot of time to get a new bow and have it ready for opening day. And to boot- the wife is a little money sensitive since I bought her that motorcycle.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:13 PM

Default That sucks

Hey, Sorry to hear about your bow. Hope you can get a new one tuned and ready to roll. Season is long though so you should be alright.

The answer to Homeless people and accidents is this. 95% of their accidents are in their pants. Hee hee. No offence of course.

Cheers.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:18 PM

at least the limb didnt blow up and result in your getting hurt
Old 08-11-2008, 12:25 PM

Had the same thing happen to me on the weekend, I almost dropped to my knee's in disbelief. Mine was a Bowtech, and I might be able to get warranty, but it won't be ready for the season opener. Gonna buy a new one, fortunately the wife is very understanding, or at least she got tired of me moping around the house and told me to go buy a new one...maybe there is something to this pouting thing, probably why the kids do it...
Old 08-11-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 REM MAG View Post
at least the limb didnt blow up and result in your getting hurt
7 mag is right, it could have been a lot worse. Years ago had an old PSE. Picked it up one day while in the house, and decided to give it a pull. As soon as I got to full draw, things quickly went downhill from there. One limb went off my wrist, causing quite a bit of swelling, and the other hit the wall and stuck right in the gyproc. I got away pretty lucky on that one, didn't get hurt too seriously, and had an excuse to buy a new bow.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:32 PM

Default Damn

6 inches at 50 yards!!!!! I thought "FINALLY! someone with worse accuracy or aim than me!!!" Then I realized you were talking about a bow, not a rifle I'm STILL trying to get 3 shots inside two inches with my rifle... It's gotta be my aim. I wiggle even on sandbags. sheesh
Old 08-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Hoochie Papa

I got lucky that's for sure. I saw a bow blow up at full draw once and it wasn't pretty. The guy needed hospital ASAP.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:43 PM

well fortunately they make a mathews bow everyday for people in yer situation. They are just like a honda mower, just pull and go.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoochie Papa View Post
Not a lot of time to get a new bow and have it ready for opening day. And to boot- the wife is a little money sensitive since I bought her that motorcycle.
Easy solution, "Hey Honey, I have to get a new bow really quick to get it ready for hunting season." ... "You don't think we can afford it? Well, what if we sell the bike?"

On second thought, probably not worth the pain. You'd have to be lucky again to not end up in the hospital.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 PM

Default Champion bow

Hey Hoochie. Only speculation on my part at this point in time, but... The guys that currently import darton bows into Canada are the same group that previously owned champion bows. I have a friend that owns a champion, and about a year ago was told that these fellows still had an inventory of some parts. They are out of Winnipeg, and if you contact the archery counter at wholesale sports Edmonton, they should be able to give you some contact info. I hope this helps.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-tard View Post
well fortunately they make a mathews bow everyday for people in yer situation. They are just like a honda mower, just pull and go.
This is by far the way to go. Less than one hour after I received my first Mathews bow - shipped on the bus no less, I was shooting 3" groups at 40 yards (all I had to do was adjust the peep sight & serve it in which was very easy even for a rookie like I was). A Mathews bow is a very good investment.

Good Luck
Old 08-11-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
Hey Hoochie. Only speculation on my part at this point in time, but... The guys that currently import darton bows into Canada are the same group that previously owned champion bows. I have a friend that owns a champion, and about a year ago was told that these fellows still had an inventory of some parts. They are out of Winnipeg, and if you contact the archery counter at wholesale sports Edmonton, they should be able to give you some contact info. I hope this helps.
the company is call canadian archery distributors ask for bob he says they bstill have some parts kicking around
Old 08-11-2008, 03:03 PM

you might also want to check with Bow River Dist. in Bow Island, I was told that they bought some of the inventory.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinggr81 View Post
This is by far the way to go. Less than one hour after I received my first Mathews bow - shipped on the bus no less, I was shooting 3" groups at 40 yards (all I had to do was adjust the peep sight & serve it in which was very easy even for a rookie like I was). A Mathews bow is a very good investment.

Good Luck
X 3. Nothing like a good ole dependable Mathews.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 08-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Hoochie Papa

Thanks for all the advice guys, but I got the OK from Hoochie Mama to get a new one. Now comes the hard core research. Gotta keep it in the $600-$700 range bare bow.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:04 PM

Call up Donnie at Whitetail Ridge in Debolt (780)957-3396, and I think he could hook you up with a Mathews within your price range. His bow setup is bar none, and I think you would be very happy with it. You may have seen Donnie on WildTV on his show Livin' For the Rut. Like I said before he sent my bow on the bus 2 days before the opener.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:41 PM

definitly phone martin at swamp donkey 780-720-8357 he can get what ever you want wayyyyy cheaper
Old 08-11-2008, 11:15 PM

Hoochie Coochie

That sucks. Just in case you still want to fix it. Another source for Champion Bow parts is Heights Archery in Winnipeg toll free 1-866-261-3542 website http://www.archerybymail.com/

I used to live in the Peg.............they had a large inventory of parts there.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:44 PM

cough cough mathews suck cough cough cough lol jkjk if its going to be a hunting bow buy a bowtech there awsome, just wait till the limbs get sorted out the generals if you go that route
Old 08-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Hoochie Papa

The wife says I need to exhaust every possible avenue for replacement parts before I am allowed to shop new.
But I am still doing my research. I am a little hesitant about the Generals limbs. I still have a chub for the Gaurdian. But if she thinks the $$ is too high, I will settle for a Black Ice.
This is based only on bows that I have personally shot.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:09 AM
Hoochie Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 REM MAG View Post
cough cough mathews suck cough cough cough lol jkjk if its going to be a hunting bow buy a bowtech there awsome, just wait till the limbs get sorted out the generals if you go that route

Got a little garbage stuck in your throat?

My good friend The Bit Runner has kindly lent me his back up bow. A Switchback. Never shot one yet, but if it doesn't rain here today, I'll put a few arrows through it.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:31 AM

Default new bow

hey hoochie,jimbo has a used guardian in calgary,seen it the other day.about 650.oo ready to shoot.i have one and wouldnt ever change.quietest bow you will ever shoot.mine is set at 65 lbs,285 ft per sec around 65 ft lbs of kinetic. thats jimbos archery in cal.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Hoochie Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain View Post
hey hoochie,jimbo has a used guardian in calgary,seen it the other day.about 650.oo ready to shoot.i have one and wouldnt ever change.quietest bow you will ever shoot.mine is set at 65 lbs,285 ft per sec around 65 ft lbs of kinetic. thats jimbos archery in cal.
He's on my list of calls to make today, as are a few others.
Thanks for the tips.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:15 AM

Default champion bow parts

HI HOOCHI WHAT TYPE OF CHAMPION BOW DO YOU HAVE I HAVA A SUPPLIER THAT HAS SOME CHAMPION PARTS IN STOCK HE WAS THE CANADIAN DISTIBUTOR FOR CHAMPION BOWS. SEND ME AN EMAIL AT caaa@shaw.ca I WILL SEE IF I CAN SET YOU UP WITH SOME LIMBS AND PRICES
Old 08-12-2008, 11:10 AM

Default Limbs

Hoochie,

Jim at Pipestone Creek in Millet should have the parts you need or should I say the parts Mamma would like you to get. I bought my Champion there.

Zak
Old 08-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Hoochie Papa

Zak, you got a number I can get a hold of him at? The one I have doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 08-12-2008, 12:25 PM

I believe the number for pipestone creek archery is (780) 387-5006..
Old 08-12-2008, 02:43 PM

Yup, snap has the right number. Jim has got my bow there right now, and wednesday before the calling seminar I'll be there trying out a few bows. I don't remember seeing any champions there, but I was never looking for one while I was there. The new bows I was looking at were Kodiaks, and APA, and they were just as pricey as a new Bowtech. Gonna give them a go, if I don't like them I'll be at Jim Bows this weekend, I know he'll have something I like...
Old 08-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Hoochie Papa

Tried Pipestone and no-go.

Gonna bite it and go brand new. Don't know where to go close by to try some out. I can't rip back to Calgary.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:09 PM

If i was a guy posting on here i would say " oh gee you'll never find parts for a champion bow anywhere !" With the hope your wife wouldn't mind as much if you got a new bow. Then at least you tried, wink , wink. You would have a new bow preferably a pse x force by next week shooting better than ever before. But hopfully you make it for opener no matter new or old bow. And yes pouting does work but makes you less of a man.lol hunters edge in g.p. has bowteck and pse i would call them. service is awsome and if any problems refund or work is done quick.jmo