Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-11-2008, 10:58 AM

Default Elk Calling Seminar

Tonight! With Rocky Jacobsen

7p.m. Sherwood Park Archery Lanes

$10

Old 08-12-2008, 11:32 AM

Default Elk Calling Seminar

So who went? Did you learn anything? Worth the value?

All suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Hoochie Papa

I would have loved to go to that. I can make all the sounds, but it's what sound to make and when that I need improvement on.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:20 PM

It was definately worth the money! I thought the solo callind and hunting techniques were the best part, but that guy sure can call I just have a hard time using those mouth reeds. the last one that I bought, I ended up throwing out my window on the Yellowhead Drove me nuts....
Old 08-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Hoochie Papa

The seminar is in Whitecourt tonite, and at Pipestone Archery in Millet tomorrow night.
In millet, $15, and everyone gets a mouth reed.
I might make that one.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:19 PM

I was there, I like the way he explains what each call means. I've heard many Elk bugle, and all different tones and sounds, it's good to hear what they are all about!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:36 PM

I'll be going to the one at pipestone on wednesday. I own Rocky's bugle and its a sweet little unit, but it will be even sweeter when I know how to use it more effectively.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:40 PM

Thumbs up Rockie Seminar Whitecourt Aug 12

He's in Whitecourt tonight. I got to one a couple years back in Edson and was very impressed.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:04 PM

Any idea if he will be in the Calgary area at all?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:33 PM

Where abouts is Pipestone Archery I'm interested in going, also do know what time it all starts?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2008, 10:40 PM

I called Jim tonight ... here is the skinny:

Show up with your $15 bucks @ 6:30pm and you get a free reed call. The seminar start sharp at 7pm and goes for 1.5hrs.

Directions are:

From North (Edmonton) on Hwy 2:

1.25 miles west of Millet overpass on secondary 616, then south 2.75 miles on RR 255, on the west side of the road.

From South (Red Deer) on Hwy 2:

.25 mile west of the correction line overpass on Hwy2, then noth 2.25 miles on the west side of the road.

See yah tommorow.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:44 PM

Thanks for the info I think I will be there with my son,
Old 08-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Hoochie Papa

I'm gonna be there too. Should be lots of fun.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:15 PM

i'm leaving in about 15 min. hey gonna be able to pick on hoochie in person. that should be fun redneck vs wantabe cowboy..
Old 08-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Hoochie Papa

Should have let me know you were gonna be there. I would have let you know what I was wearing so you could pick me out. Heck, if you want, you can call me and I will tell you what I'm wearing now.

I had to skip out a little early cause my office phoned wondering how things were going at the rig. Missed the draw for door prizes, and you know I would have won something.

Sure learned a heck of a lot though. And realized I need WAY more practice.
Rocky can sure bugle though. I was ready to grab the APA off the wall and start slinging arrows.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoochie Papa View Post
I would have let you know what I was wearing so you could pick me out. Heck, if you want, you can call me and I will tell you what I'm wearing now.
Careful what you say there Hoochie. With Kev's 'woman troubles' of late, he may just take you up on that offer..............or invitation???????

Sorry I missed that seminar. If Rocky every does one in Calgary I'd love to attend as a newbie. Price is right for sure!

Tree
Old 08-14-2008, 10:58 AM

Had a great time learning from the man who actually makes the calls. Very easy guy to talk to after as well, more than willing to answer any questions that you had. He is done with the seminar's for this year, he said last nights was the last one, then he's going hunting. Definately going to try and catch him again next year if he comes around.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:52 PM

that was the best calling seminar i've been to man that guy could call. half ways expected to walk out and find a herd of elk in the yard.hoochie i was the big guy in the front row with the corner gas shirt.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Hoochie Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck posse View Post
that was the best calling seminar i've been to man that guy could call. half ways expected to walk out and find a herd of elk in the yard.hoochie i was the big guy in the front row with the corner gas shirt.
Ahhhh.... I noticed the "dog river" on the back. I was the guy near the back wearing the beige roper with the camo sleeves and shoulder. All by me self cause I have no friends.

I still can't figure out how that reeds stays put in his mouth. Mine falls every time I open my yap.

If I would have known so many AO'ers were there, I would have stood up and said something.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:47 PM

Default yuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Careful what you say there Hoochie. With Kev's 'woman troubles' of late, he may just take you up on that offer..............or invitation???????

Tree
Yeah, I was starting to get a little creeped out with all the "This is what I'm wearing, what will you be wearing?" And "You should call me" talk! LOL Had all the makings of a man-date! LOL
Old 08-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Hoochie Papa

Hey... I'm not saying I would ever do it, but it is nice to be asked.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoochie Papa View Post

I still can't figure out how that reeds stays put in his mouth. Mine falls every time I open my yap.
I think that means you have a big mouth...LOL I have the same problem, you need to get the larger sized reeds, they were the last three that he showed us, and I think one of them was the only triple reed he had there if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
hoochie i was the big guy in the front row with the corner gas shirt.
I chatted briefly with you when everything was done. We were just walking over to grab a beer and some snacks. I had the Corona hat on and black T shirt.

Last edited by Hunter Trav; 08-15-2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: quote tag was messed up