Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-28-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Transporting a male elk

I have a question concerning how a male elk must be transported. The following is taken from the regs:

- in addition,
- the complete skull plate with horns or antlers intact must be retained with the carcass of the male antelope, "male elk" or male non-trophy sheep

Does this statement mean the antlers must be kept connected to the carcass (with the tag) or just "with" the carcass? And by "with" does that just mean same vehicle? same backpack?

Thanks,
WT
Old 08-28-2007, 04:30 PM

I know when you are transporting it the whole elk has to be there as well as the tag, the person that shot the animal and the gun that shot it, but if you have to quarter it to pack it out thats ok just as long as the whole animal is together in the same vehicle while transporting from hunting location to your house or the butchers.

AKA MAVERICK
Old 08-28-2007, 04:35 PM

The antlers must be connected to the skull plate of the Bull.....then those must accompany the rest of the tagged carcuss (not attached to). This must be the case until the meat is delivered to a place of processing or processed....

I would insure if your bringing the animal back from your hunt that everything is in one vehicle.....

But don't take my word for it....check the regs very closely....make sure you understand them....and if you have any questions....contact F & W.....
Old 08-28-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethalconnection View Post
I know when you are transporting it the whole elk has to be there as well as the tag, the person that shot the animal and the gun that shot it, but if you have to quarter it to pack it out thats ok just as long as the whole animal is together in the same vehicle while transporting from hunting location to your house or the butchers.
I don't think the gun has to be there because you can transport someones elses legal animal with the proper transport documants but the gun would not be present?

Cam
Old 08-28-2007, 04:51 PM
sheephunter

Ya, the regulations are a bit sketchy for backpacking in Alberta. If it takes several loads to get an animal out, I usually take the antlers, with skull plate intact, out in the first load with as much meat as I can. After that, I just keep carrying meat back to wherever the antlers are. It's never been an issue. I'm guessing whoever wrote the regulations regarding tagging, evidence of sex and transporting never figured hunters got more than 100 yards from a vehicle. I think as long as you do your best to follow the intent of the law that you shouldn't run into any problems. I'd truly like to see Fish and Wildlife take a more realistic look at these sections of the wildlife act so you don't feel like a criminal everytime you head out on a backpack hunt.

Last edited by sheephunter; 08-28-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:46 PM

Hmmm......I wondered about this question as well. Maybe if I was the "Hulk" I could carry the elk out on my back.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:41 AM

Default Transporting a Male Elk

Dont forget the scrotum attached to the quarter that is tagged.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Bull ELk

Never heard of having the rifle with you when transporting the animal. What if its hot out at camp and you need to get the meat to a cooler quickly, or you stop at home first, drop off your hunting equipment.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethalconnection View Post
I don't doubt you, because I don't know, but what about this situation:

I shoot an elk in the afternoon. I started from the road, and I'm a 30 minutes drive away from my cooler. I pack out two quarters before dark. Now I drive home to get this meat cooled. The next day, I leave the scoped rifle at home, take a slug-loaded shotty and I go pack out the rest.

Now how does this work? Where's the tag during all this? I don't have the gun I shot it with in the vehicle (which btw I doubt is a requirement).

Any thoughts?

Frans

Last edited by Frans; 08-29-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:54 PM

We just about lost a bull elk as we halved it and removed head to pack out when at truck we never left the scotum sack on 1/4 with tag. Warden said if we had just drug it to truck and were stopped on hiway he would have confiscated and gave a ticket for no evidence of sex on the tagged quarter. Said someone could shoot a cow and use the head from bull to make look like it was legal. But what if a guy has to bone out animal to pack out?