Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-22-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Smokestick gets a goat tag - un-believable!!

So I'm driving home from work today (was supposed to be there 12 days, was there for 23, and was supposed to leave for sheep yesterday ), and my buddy phones me, says he got drawn for goat... I'm like, no fricken way, there's no chance that 2 people I know get drawn for goat the same year...

I got my sister to go into his RELM, and sure enough, he got it!!!!! Congratulations smokestick!!! He got drawn for area F - Rockslide. He's a good buddy/hunting partner, he's been in the Willmore with me a few times... he was with me last year, I shot my NT sheep about 1km from the zone he got drawn for goat in...

Oh by the way he's Gunslinger and Monstermuleys uncle...

I just put in a good hitch at work I think I'll take the next 6-7 weeks off, got a sheep hunt with my brother coming up and then get to go along on 2 Alberta goat hunts!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:04 PM

rocks unreal eh this is smokesticks other nephew,i am stuck here in mexico evacuated to town due to the hurricane that just passed over us,i never new that he got drawn untill i read your post,cant wait to talk to him now
Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 PM

The unreal thing is I got to go along with an aquaintence last year who got drawn, and now know 2 people this year who got drawn...3 goat hunts in two years...what are the odds, I feel like I won the lottery...
Old 08-23-2007, 09:10 AM

Rocks, if you could continue your trend of knowing people who draw goat tags, I'd be more than happy to invite you along on a goat hunt down south here when I draw my tag.

Keep the luck goin. You could be the most successful non-goat hunter in Alberta.

Was your friend successful last year? If so, any pics to post?

Cheers
Old 08-23-2007, 03:15 PM

Talking goat tag

Heeeee yaaaaa- cant believe i got the draw- i really didnt think id see that draw in my lifetime. Always put in for it with my two sons hoping that one day one of my boys would get the draw but finally a little luck came my way. My packhorses and my riding horse are shoe'd up and are actually being used by monstermuley for a few days while hes after his ram. They'll be in shape when i get home and head out for the goat. I so damn happy that i had to have a few last night so im not in very good shape today fellas but im gunna spend the next 10 days to get somewhat in shape- i have my pack here at work in southern sask and will be doing some walking now. I was really bummed out listening to everyones trips coming up and me not being able to go this yr but with this draw being a once in a lifetime thing that bills are just gunna have to pile up cause im going HUNTING
Old 08-23-2007, 03:23 PM

Thumbs up

Hey sheepslam: Good to see ya survived another storm down there. When ya gunna be back bud because theres always room for another rider here. Get your ram tag and lets go buddy. Let me know so i can get your horse shoed . I hear your cousins are headed out for dahls right away and slinger got his stone all ready this yr. Havent heard from the boys so im just catching up on the news like u are on AO here. Rocks you and toe have a good trip there after the rams and get back soon cause were headed out for goat buddy.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:26 PM

Lucky Ba%$#*
Good on you Smokestick. You will have to post pics and a story for us when you get back.

Good Luck!

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 08-23-2007, 03:34 PM

Thumbs up

Yes i sure will there Rockymtmn and im really hoping to be successfull because the chances of me ever getting to go on a hunt like this again are very slight so im really pumped up . I'll be taking lots of vidio as well as still pics so hopefully i have some to post here for everyone in a couple of weeks.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:42 PM

What are the dates again?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 08-23-2007, 03:52 PM

Default congratulations

uncle dad and i are sitting here reading this and congratulations buddy, get in shape and go get a dandy buddy, dad says he will come and skin it for ya. yeee haaaaaa
Old 08-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Congratulations Smokestick. Let us know how your hunt turns out.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:36 PM

congratulations on the goat draw old man. i was the first person to open the draw application and only to find that smokestick got one of the rarest draws. gunslinger and monster-muley might be a little nervous. big or small, its a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:00 PM

Im at work and dont have any regulations here and im out of province so cant go to town and get any but if my memory serves me right i think the season opens sept 10th. Yes i will there Rob for sure and again hopefully have some pics to put up here.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:41 PM

Hey buddy here's your zone, across the valley:

It's a little rougher up close than on google earth, hope your legs are good LOL...

Slopes: my buddy last year never got his goat, he only had 7 days, day ride out, day ride back, we were socked in for a couple days and couldn't hunt up high, he passed up a small billy and never got close enough to a good one.

Hope to see one or two down this year though.

Sheepslam you should get back here and come along...
Old 08-23-2007, 11:19 PM

Oh boy, do I ever have to get into the Wilmore sometime.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 08-25-2007, 03:47 PM

I was drawn in area F in 2004 and could tell you a couple of real good spots where there are most likly goats. Found them on the last day of my hunt!!

Beautiful rugged country in that area

PM me if interested

Barbwire
Old 08-26-2007, 10:48 AM

Goats, sheep...you guys are insane. Nice pic there Mark, no wonder I can never catch up with ya.....you are; "The Goat Whisperer". Good luck guys.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:28 PM

Your gonna need a case of Red Bull for that zone. Best of luck to ya, there just may be a book goat or 2 in that country.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Your gonna need a case of Red Bull for that zone.

Nice!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:38 AM

hey there fellers,just got into mexico city here from a month of work and hurricanes,i can not wait to come along however it conflicts with my elk hunt but what the hay,i can hunt them there to and sheep as well,sorry i havent been replying,hurricane dean really dampered our communication down here,be home tonight then we can talk some more,yahooooooooooooooo it hunting time
Old 08-29-2007, 09:48 AM

Congrats Smokestick! It is nice to see people actually get drawn! I was beginning to wonder.... ;-) So there is still hope.

Frans