Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-24-2017, 04:12 PM

Default What age do your kids start flyfishing

Just a question outa curiosity and to hear some stories. My son is almost 2 and a half and he has been watching me fly fish this summer. It started with me holding his hand on the rod to show him how to do it but he started to pull my hands off and at first I didn't wanna let go cuz fly rods aren't cheap and I didnt wanna go swimming but my wife said just let him do it. So I backed off and to my amazement he was actually casting and getting the fly out a good 10-15'. Didn't get any fish on that time but a few weeks ago we were out on the river and I decided to let him try a spinning rod thinking maybe that would be easier but he just wanted to cast it like a fly rod. I tried to show him how to reel for a couple minutes then I just let him play with it. I had some nymphs and a bobber on so he could just drift it and play. Not long and he had a fish on. I tried to tell him to reel but but he didn't know how and by the time I came to help him it got off. I think I will keep him goin with a fly rod. He seams to be better with it. Anyways that's my story. Would love to hear some of yours. Nothing like your kids wanting to go fishing with you.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:08 PM

As much as we want our kids to be our fly-fishing buddies,,,, most kids under the age of 12 do not have sufficient motor skills developed yet to cast properly. Pushing them any earlier into casting can either develop bad habits that will be hard to undo later in life or cause too much frustration (in both dad and kid) that they could be turned off for good.

I have introduced many youngsters over the last 30 plus years to flyfishing (my own son, nephews, nieces, in laws, out laws, young cousins, friends of the family, interested neighbour kids etc.) and the ones who stuck with it didn't really start fly fishing until their early to mid teen years when they had the coordination and maturity (desire) to have decent success from the get go.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:00 AM

Just started my son last week at the age of 13. He's passionate about fishing but it was still a bit frustrating for both of us to start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 07-25-2017, 11:12 AM

I had my son catching cutthroat at 3 years old on the fly rod. But I've put it away and have boughten him a spinning rod. He can cast it easier and has better success and has more fun. He's almost 6 now. Might try it again next year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2017, 09:03 AM
Suspended User

I'm starting my 4 year old daughter now. Simple as putting a long chunk of yarn on the end of a short length of fly line. Don't need a lot. Out to the lawn and pick targets. I give her points toward a treat if she gets close enough. It's a game for now, I don't have any problems with teaching kids, just have to think in the right way.

The other thing to do, is tie a fly on the end of the closed face reel system. Put a bobber 6-8 feet up, and let them cast. Stop the bobber in flight, and the fly keeps going. Doesn't take long, and really works. I still use it myself.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:09 PM

Thanks for sharing guys
Old 07-31-2017, 09:02 PM

Default Currently Making a video on this subject

Hey There,

My kids both fly fish (and are pretty good at it). They started at ages 8 and 6. They both cast pretty well (mostly water load no double haul) and can hit the target water well. We go on an annual fly fishing trip and they always catch. I am currently putting a video together on how to successfully fly fish with kids. Should be ready in a week or so. Will let you know!

Kirby Coderre
aka Mid-Life Flysis
Old 07-31-2017, 09:22 PM

Kids are all different - I did the casting on the lawn thing with both my kids at ages 10 and 12. My 10 year old daughter had a good hand at it and seems to understand the rhythm and mechanics of it and can get a fly out there a long way. My son, with the same instructions, simply wasn't getting it.

Same instructions - different kids and different results.

The key is patience and practice. Because I wasn't a jerk, both kids really like to fish to this day and it very nice to still be able to take a 18 and 20 year old out to go fishing with dad. Most kids that age have better things to do I guess.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:59 PM

Hello there!
Started my boy and girl at around 6 , then decided to do fly fishing and caught my 6 years girl in the butt in a strong wind on Elbow river .
Then my fly fishing gear was stolen from the garage, they left me the reel and line though... by some punks and I still did not learn how to do fly fishing..