Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-22-2017, 12:00 PM

Default Think im hooked ...just Fly Fished with great success

Hey guys ,never been on this thread topic b4 and barely fishing in general.

Just tried my hand at fly fishing and wow ...is it fun .....

At the uncles stock pond (rainbow trout )with my 2 boys -3 and 5 ......the 3 year olds 2nd time fishing etc etc and he gave me some hell but back to the good things

My buddy who is a fly fisherman came up too ,with his rod ( im currently looking to get my own set up now). He gets to work with the fly while i supervise my 2 kids casting rods .... 5 year old Reese knows hows to cast so mainly helping Barrett . Ryan after a while hauls in a 4-5 ish pounder .. gets another soon ...lets me reel it up after a 10 minute fight ...about 8 ish pounds i estimate ,then lands another big one gives rod to reese but the fish broke the line ....and he gets another (4-5 pounder ) before he had to get to edmonton.... i had tried to fly fish but pretty frustrating learning the technique but he was coaching . Thunderstorms made us run back to cabin.

Next day -morning ,post nap, and after supper hit the pond ... figured it out .... malfunctions way way less just usually tangled up good here and there now( fishing line around rod ,not the floating line ) , figured out how to dance just the fly hitting water while getting it out there further and further etc etc. No luck in morning , even with big worms no luck with casting. Afternnon post nap as im starting to figure out techniques i do a pretty good 3 cast whips then let fly lay there ,asap a med size gorgeous rainbow jumps clear out of the water after it, bites / my heart leaps too , and promptly slips off ...grrrr . No luck . After supper though im getting pretty good with rod and line and reel etc etc . Hauled in a 7 pounder that took 10-11 mintues of fighting to get to net , and another 2- 4/5 ish pounders ,plus another biggun that slipped off .

Ryan and me dont really care to keep the fish ,just pics and the satisfaction ,but Reese is a little savage when it comes to eating his fish so he was upset the first day when we let them go . But when it was just me and the kids he made me keep the big one , then the medium once swalloed the hook so deep i had to remove its head to fish(hehe) it out . 3rd fishy put back .

My kid is stoked hes got fish to eat , Barretts meh ...happy to be back with mommy and im super excited to get doing some more fly fishing in near future ....hehe even ordered a River runs thru it ( havent seen since i was like 20 ) but its a good movie too.

Ill be paying more attention now to this thread and probably be picking some of your brains soon guys .... thanks in advance ..... just an awesome last 2 days with the kids and my friend . Thought it be good to share
Old 07-22-2017, 12:11 PM

Sounds like a great time was had by all!

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-26-2017, 01:03 PM

thanks for sharing!
Old 07-26-2017, 02:40 PM

That's what it's all about! Great to hear you had fun! Welcome to the (expensive) world of fly fishing!

Jeff
Old 07-26-2017, 03:06 PM

Hopefully you don't have an addictive personality type... you might be in trouble!
Old 07-26-2017, 03:33 PM

Remember these words...... "My worst fear is that my wife sells my fly fishing gear for what I told her I spent on it"
Old 07-26-2017, 03:56 PM

It took me a long time to find someone that could help teach me the finer points of fly fishing. Once I did, I began to appreciate the beauty, technique, and strategy that goes into it.

There is something incredibly rewarding about finding a new piece of water, reading it, choosing a fly, making the right cast, getting the right drift, and having a fish rise on your fly. I still love to fish my lakes for walleye and pike, but mountain streams have definitely taken a hold.

Sounds like you have been bit with the same bug now!

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 07-26-2017, 04:09 PM

Your success will be short lived as u will have many days of being skunked but the thrill will come more often u fish and u will learn more. First time I picked up a fly rod I caught fish to was a lucky day followed by many bad days that was 37 years ago and I'm still learning
Old 07-26-2017, 10:04 PM
Banned

I started fly fishing 2 weeks ago and after dozens of rainbows and grayling I'm hooked now have 2 rods and don't ever care to spin cast again lol
Old 07-27-2017, 06:13 AM
Banned

Thank you for the "fish story".