Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 AM

Default Going for Gold

So I've had quite a few people want me to guide them in somewhere for a chance at catching Golden Trout, so I finally got off my butt to go check things out at Barnaby/Southfork Lakes, so I could get the lay of the land. Also added Castle Wildland Provincial Park to my guiding permit this year.

My wife Deb, Heavy_K, and I went in this past Saturday so that we could be ready to go for opening day (which was yesterday - Sunday). We were definitely shocked to see how busy it actually was (with at least 10 other people fishing - and quite a few people scrambling)! There were a couple of guys on Saturday poaching, and even had a fire during the fire ban (found their smouldering fire pit)! Unfortunately, I wasn't about to say anything, as one of the guys was packing a rifle ... SUPER disappointing to see all of the disrespect for such a beautiful area! Evidence of poaching, tons of garbage, fire pit scars everywhere! I'm glad the designation has changed to a Wildland Provincial Park. Maybe now it will get a little more attention (the good kind). The COs were up Sunday doing compliance checks. Too bad they weren't up there Saturday (unfortunately they can't be every where all the time).

Anyway...

Here is a view of Castle Ski resort from the hike in.

Lower Southfork Lake (Middle Lake if you count Barnaby as one of the Southfork Lakes)

Gold status achieved (here are some photos of the first few landed)!

All in all it was a great trip, albeit with EPIC wind and EXTREMELY picky fish.

Can't wait to get in there again!

Peter

-Confucius
Old 07-17-2017, 12:57 PM

I was up there several years ago with a buddy and had a great time. Nice to hear about it again.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:59 PM

Nice!....defiantly on the to do list!....
Old 07-17-2017, 04:05 PM

Those fish are amazing looking! That must have been a sight in person...
Congrats on reaching gold member status

On the downside, I really did not like hearing about the poaching, garbage and lack of respect. I usually think that is limited to the more common and easy to reach areas, e.g. NSR or Pigeon...doesn't make it any better there either...maybe worse because so many more see that crap (i.e. garbage). But it does bother me that you hiked in to see it. I'm sure you were expecting a more pristine experience as we would we all.
I don't have that litter bug gene in me. To the point of those little stickers on an apple that I pull them off and pocket them for later disposal. I just cannot understand that mentality of the litter and take. It is beyond me.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:26 PM

Great looking trout geez they are pretty. What kind of moron would leave garbage in an area like that. Nothing is sacred anymore.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:02 PM

i wouldnt think the officers would head up to those lakes......hope they do lots and catch anyone breaking the rules......

ive caught one and ate it !!!! noooo not in alberta...lol....i had a real tough time catching them tho......but there was one thing that worked amazing to catch them...tho i wont say just incase some poachers are reading this...lol

i think the lake i caught them in was called joes lake in WY....

happy
Old 07-19-2017, 07:07 PM

Nice pics thx for the post you know... our little athabows arent that differnt looking . Also on my todo list.