Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-05-2014, 08:45 PM

Default Fletching glue troubles.

I normally have a system.. i buy new arrows until enough of the fletching is damaged and toss them aside and get another half dozen and do the same. When I get enough I refletch them all.

I am using a right hand helical bohning fletch jig and blazers.

For the glue I have bohning fletch tite. When I finish an arrow I put a dab of glue on the tip and back of the vane for good measure..

NOW my problem has been fletches literally falling off! They seem fine after I put them on! I went out for a day and normally I keep my bow slung on my back when I am walking in the rougher stuff. And after a day of hiking around chasing ruffies most of the arrows in my quiver are missing the cock vane (which I keep pointed upwards in the quiver... bit of OCD)

Any suggestions?
Old 10-06-2014, 08:10 AM

The best I've used is the glue from AAE, have there soap kit too, but Comet and a scotch brite pad will work the same. Lepage Gel control works okay too. Key is a clean surface and moisture in the air as that is the activator for the glue .
Old 10-06-2014, 08:20 AM

Pends on the arrow brand and surface...the Bohning fletch tite or Platnium will bond like fusion on some arrows but wont on others...

For example the CX arrows prepped and cleaned the same as Eastons will have a huge differance in success...the CX will fuse where as the Easton will peel off with ease...so with many Easton shafts a Cyanoacrylate glue works best...Cyanoacrylate being a fast set Super Glue type glue!

Neil
Old 10-06-2014, 08:49 AM

i had the same issues, i started using carbon express expressbond and have not had any issues at all
Old 10-06-2014, 08:52 AM

Bohning glue is garbage. Go buy Goat Tuff and dont worry about it ever again.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:54 AM

I mentioned everything but my arrows. I am using carbon mayhem 350s

The price of all these glues I may as well pick them up and try them all out.

I did half dozen last night.. tried ruffing the shaft up with 220g so hopefully they will last for one outing.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:04 AM

I use bohning wraps on my arrows. Then use bohning platinum to affix the blazers to arrows. Vanes stay on great!
Old 10-06-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
I use bohning wraps on my arrows. Then use bohning platinum to affix the blazers to arrows. Vanes stay on great!
That is another excellent and easy way to bond vanes...however some may need to re-tune bow slightly as it does add significant weight to the back of the arrow which may in turn effect some arrow flight...

Neil
Old 10-06-2014, 11:28 AM

How durable are wraps?
I have considered wraps before.. more for just visabibility than anything
Old 10-06-2014, 11:33 AM

They are very durable and most likely outlast your vanes...if care is taken you can refletch on them also...but they remove easily to replace if needed...

Neil
Old 10-06-2014, 04:47 PM

Default glue

I have found that the Boning glue works good for the first 5-6 months the tube is open then it does not work so good after that. I now use Lepage Ultra Gel, you can get it at Crapy tire or Home Depot, it works really good.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeP View Post
I have found that the Boning glue works good for the first 5-6 months the tube is open then it does not work so good after that. I now use Lepage Ultra Gel, you can get it at Crapy tire or Home Depot, it works really good.
Also a big Factor with Bohning type glues is if they were frozen...an issue in canada...even delivered to distributor in good shape if large courier trucks deliver to dealer frozen it can make glue alomost useless...

Neil
Old 10-12-2014, 04:34 PM

Decided I am going to try arrow wraps... anyone know a good way to stick these buggers on? Found them online. Pretty bad*****
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1413153280412.jpg (43.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 10-13-2014, 08:13 AM

my wraps are just peel off and roll on the arrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKl24Ooi3ko
Old 10-13-2014, 11:37 AM

Default Fletching glue troubles.

Once I roll the arrow wrap on then I rub the wrap briskly with a wine cork. Then I use super glue gel to glue my fletchings on. Shot a bunch through the grass and dirt and I have yet to see a vane rip off. I've even shot a vane straight through the middle by accident and it didn't rip off.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:48 PM

I find that cleaning the shafts with Isopropyl alcohol first works really well. I have a couple Bitzenburger Jigs and I make sure when I place the fletching clip onto the shaft, I use quite a bit of pressure at first so that I get all the bubbles out of the glue, and good contact all the way along.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
I find that cleaning the shafts with Isopropyl alcohol first works really well. I have a couple Bitzenburger Jigs and I make sure when I place the fletching clip onto the shaft, I use quite a bit of pressure at first so that I get all the bubbles out of the glue, and good contact all the way along.

some UFI on Isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol

Denatured alcohol – found in bottles at the hardware store or the drug store – is also ethanol. But it has been poisoned to keep people from drinking it...

Iso-propyl is basically the same thing but is the one most commonly found in drug stores and known as rubbing alcohol...

Regadless but the one with the higest alcohol rating sush as 99%...means less water and additives..

Avoid any with perfumed oils...any oil will defeat its purpose and vanes wont stick.

Back in the day Acetone was not recommened for carbon arrows...things change and many brands even recommend Acetone for cleaning arrows...just never soak carbon arrows in acetone...it will eventually eat them...

We used to soak aliminum arrow nock ends to remove nocks and/or glue on nock end swaged arrows

Neil
Old 10-21-2016, 08:39 PM

Good to know
Old 10-22-2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Bohning glue is garbage. Go buy Goat Tuff and dont worry about it ever again.
I've been using fletch tite for going on 20 or so years combined with acetone wipe down as Neil suggests and have never ever had a bonding problem. I use a bitz and a jojan. Works good for both. Just saying.

Great to have you back BTW Neil!