Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-04-2016, 03:09 PM

Default Heads up SPFGA Archery Range

Just got this email, please respect the archery targets

Sherwood Park Fish and Game Association

Archery Section

This email is to advise we are having difficulty at the archery range with a few individuals using broadheads or practice broadheads on the butts and the 3D targets. The butts and 3D targets are designed to stop arrows with field points. Broadheads make large cuts while field points make small punctures.
Broadheads are designed to cut a large wound so the animal will bleed to death quickly. The blades are very sharp and cut whatever they hit to the diameter of the blades. In Alberta, the minimum diameter for the cutting is 7/8” to be a legal broadhead one can use for hunting. Some of the broadheads on the market today can cut up to 2” in diameter whether they have two, three or four blades.

The cuts are expressed as inches in diameter because the arrow is rotating as the broadhead cuts its way through whatever it hits.
Field points are designed to make small round punctures in whatever they hit. Target butts are designed to stop arrows by friction. The material in the butt separates as the arrow enters and eventually provides enough resistance to stop the arrow. Once the arrow is removed, the separation closes to leave a slight mark. Eventually, when enough arrows have been shot at the material, it will pulverize and lose its ability to stop the arrows. This is much the same for the 3D targets however; some manufactures have been able to come up with a type of foam which will actually seal the puncture to extend the life of the 3D target.
Neither the butts nor the 3D targets can stand up the cutting action of the broadhead or even a practice broadhead. The cutting action severs the butt material or 3D foam for up to a 2” diameter and after a few shots, chunks will be cut out destroying it. With the rotating of the arrow, pulling the broadhead out of the butt or 3D target can be so difficult the offender may have to cut away material to retrieve the broadhead leaving a large hole in the target.

Unfortunately, we are seeing premature deterioration of the butts because of the broadhead cuts and those having to cut holes to retrieve their broadheads. We were concerned that someone may use broadheads on the 3D targets so in late August a number were removed. Fourteen 3D targets were left out for archers to enjoy with the hopes our signage about no broadheads or practice broadheads would be sufficient to protect them. We were wrong and a number of those left out were shot with broadheads between August 29 and September 11. All the 3D targets have now been removed and will not be put out again until next spring. We are very sorry that this has had to happen however; the 3D animals are an expensive investment for the club and we want them to last a long time. It is too bad a few have to spoil it for the majority.

I am going to recommend to the club executive that the restrictions for the use of broadheads or practice broadheads be included in the range orientation; that the archery range be put on a regular visit schedule by the range officers and any individual caught using broadheads or practice broadheads on the butts or 3D targets be permanently expelled from the Sherwood Park Fish and Game and the club look to recover damages. I have been in contact with the RCMP for assistance and any further information fellow archers can provide in solving this problem would be greatly appreciated. To those SPFGA members that are guilty of using broadheads or practice broadheads, PLEASE STOP!. You are hurting your fellow archers and costing the Sherwood Park Fish and Game money.
SPFGA.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:01 PM

I'm not familiar with the range, but with a range officer potentially being present, why not have a clause stating if an individual is found with broadheads in his/her quiver while shooting, a suspension may be instituted? I wouldn't see a point in having broadheads with me when I am at an "Only Field Point" range.

Too bad such a good thing was spoiled.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:36 PM

Broadheads are allowed IF you bring your own target and only shoot them into that.

No reason for anyone to have Broadheads on the 3D range.

LC
Old 10-06-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
I'm not familiar with the range, but with a range officer potentially being present, why not have a clause stating if an individual is found with broadheads in his/her quiver while shooting, a suspension may be instituted? I wouldn't see a point in having broadheads with me when I am at an "Only Field Point" range.

Too bad such a good thing was spoiled.
The range officers only make rounds of the archery range when they can. They are also responsible for closely watching the gun ranges. Unfortunately, said individuals are using the broadheads when no one is around. That problem has been solved on the target range with the addition of trail cameras to record any and all activity including the parking lot. Our range at this point is not a field point only range as we have a broadhead pit and most of our members bring their own broadhead target to shoot at. We are really hoping that said individuals with a lack of common sense will stop using broadheads where they know they shouldn't as this will come to be an absolute ban on their use at the range.