Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-14-2016, 05:06 PM

Default Advice needed with shooting my bow

So I'm consistently hitting a 5" pattern at 25 yards but am always 5" left of bulls eye. I have the pin set as far left as it will go. I am shooting right hand but I am left eye dominant so maybe that is a factor? Any advice will help. Thanx
Old 09-14-2016, 05:25 PM

Do you shoot with both eyes open?

What kind of rest and sight are you using?

LC
Old 09-14-2016, 05:30 PM
Banned

Get yourself a left handed bow, things will go much smoother for you. I have a really hard time shooting my sons left handed bow.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:34 PM

I am also right handed but left eye dominant. I started with a right hand bow, and then switched to left hand. It makes a world of difference....
Old 09-14-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Do you shoot with both eyes open?

What kind of rest and sight are you using?

LC
I can't keep focused with both eyes open. Probably cause I'm left eye Dom. I use a semi large peep sight and the rest has three small brushes one at 6 o'clock one at 3 and one at nine
Old 09-14-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Get yourself a left handed bow, things will go much smoother for you. I have a really hard time shooting my sons left handed bow.
I am considering this option. Maybe I could make a trade with someone on here.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg1 View Post
I am also right handed but left eye dominant. I started with a right hand bow, and then switched to left hand. It makes a world of difference....
Something to consider. I'm going to try shooting left and see how it goes.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:18 PM

I would find some one that knows a bit about tuning and take them out shooting with you. Somethings not right.
I wouldn't jump on the right hand left eye thing quite so fast (it could be) I am left eye Dom and shoot right handed no problem (6-8" group at 60yards on target.
It could be you rest centre shoot. If you are shooting right that far your rest could be to left. It could be a form. Or the way you release.
Best to try and find someone that could go shooting with you before you go dump some money on a new setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2016, 09:43 AM

tune the bow and give bare shaft tuning a go. I had a bow that was "tuned", could barely see the sight pin. I knew something wasn't right. Tried a bare shaft arrow and voila! Re-tuned and had many more options for moving the sight.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:23 PM

I have had sonewhat of the same issue with all the bows I've had, and am also right handed but left eye dominant and cannot shoot with both eyes open. Switching to LH won't work either as I get a kind of double image going, so I dropped the peep and went with an Anchor Sight. I had to shim my sight window slightly to get quite enough adjustment, but it works well now.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:01 PM

if you are closing your eye that shouldn't be the problem... maybe it how your looking through the peep ... I talked with one guy had the same problem so I put his sight back in line and I was hitting bang on him was to the left ... I think it was just the way he was looking through the peep made him go off...
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 09-21-2016, 09:00 AM

I'm left eye dominant and shoot my RH bow fine...keep my left eye closed
Old 09-25-2016, 08:15 AM

I made the switch to left hand due to being left eye dominant and it did take some time for my eyes to adjust and also the awkward feeling of shooting with the other hand. However after a solid month of shooting I was grouping so much better and really feel the advantages of shooting with both eyes open are totally worth making the switch. Just my 2cents.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
if you are closing your eye that shouldn't be the problem... maybe it how your looking through the peep ... I talked with one guy had the same problem so I put his sight back in line and I was hitting bang on him was to the left ... I think it was just the way he was looking through the peep made him go off...
I have this issue too, my peep has three strands of the string that holds it in place if one of those strands line up directly in line with my eye and I attempt to look around it well I am off target, I trained to see through it if it happens, maybe go to a peep held in place by two parts of the bow string.
Just a thought.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-25-2016, 01:17 PM

Sight pins all the way to the left and still shooting left is a sign to me that centre shot is not in tune. Have you even tried moving your rest to the right? Arrow fletching contacting your rest? If you're closing your left eye, I discount anything to do with eye dominance being a factor. I don't like your rest....but that's just me and my opinion. I prefer full-capture drop away rests.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:15 PM

Start from scratch. Set your centershot as per manufacturer specs. If youre not sure what the spec is just nock an arrow and it should line up with your stabilizer. Line your sight pins vertically over your arrow. Make sure your arrow is centred in the berger hole. Paper or bareshaft tune before sighting your bow.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:05 AM

Thanx for all the replies. I'm going to take the bow to Lane Archery in Lethbridge and see about tuning it.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroPhi View Post
Start from scratch. Set your centershot as per manufacturer specs. If youre not sure what the spec is just nock an arrow and it should line up with your stabilizer. Line your sight pins vertically over your arrow. Make sure your arrow is centred in the berger hole. Paper or bareshaft tune before sighting your bow.
Better to line up with the cam/string if going by eye. Not all stab setups are square to the bow riser...and some are offset on purpose.

LC
Old 09-28-2016, 06:58 PM

Default Shout out to Lane Archery Lethbridge

So I finally made time to take my bow to Lane Archery for a tune up. I explained to them my problem. He basically had a solution without even looking at the bow. We switched the rest to a wisker biscuit then they made some adjustments. I shot two arrows two inches apart at 10 yards. They were 6 " to the right now. So they adjusted my sight back to the right. I took two more shots at 20 yards and hit bullseye and 1.5" group. So I was there less than 1/2 hour and spent $60 bucks on the rest and now I'm confident again to go hunting. After some more practice with broad heads of course. So THANK YOU LANE ARCHERY for the great service and free advice!
Old 09-29-2016, 12:11 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Awesome!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-29-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
So I finally made time to take my bow to Lane Archery for a tune up. I explained to them my problem. He basically had a solution without even looking at the bow. We switched the rest to a wisker biscuit then they made some adjustments. I shot two arrows two inches apart at 10 yards. They were 6 " to the right now. So they adjusted my sight back to the right. I took two more shots at 20 yards and hit bullseye and 1.5" group. So I was there less than 1/2 hour and spent $60 bucks on the rest and now I'm confident again to go hunting. After some more practice with broad heads of course. So THANK YOU LANE ARCHERY for the great service and free advice!
It is great that you are getting better results, but I am confused on how a WB fixed the issue. Were they unable to properly adjust the center shot/berger hole alignment of your previous rest?
Old 09-29-2016, 07:23 AM

I must say that this has been an interesting and informative thread...great topic and discussion.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
It is great that you are getting better results, but I am confused on how a WB fixed the issue. Were they unable to properly adjust the center shot/berger hole alignment of your previous rest?
It sounds like the previous rest was a Hostage rest....they are goofy to try and tune with.

LC
Old 09-29-2016, 09:17 PM

Default Follow up

My original rest was octane hostage. I was wearing brushes off on the one side so I might have moved the rest over. They recommended the WB so I had the rest replaced and I think they adjusted it back to center. Then they we were able to move the sight back to the right making it more centered. Any ways I was more than happy with the service and could not believe I was hitting bullseye after only shooting one group . Now just gotta find some time to go look for some bugling elk.