Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-09-2008, 09:17 AM

Default Target Shooting Questions

I built my target stand a few months ago and bought a black hole target.

I hope to hunt deer when I become proficient enough - a few questions:

1. At what height would you want the center of the target to be at?

2. I have been practising at 20, 30 and 40 yards - I have heard you shouldn't try shooting outside that...is that correct?

3. At about 30 yards my 6 arrow groups average 5" to 10" in diameter, typically with 4 or 5 of the six in the 5" to 6" range with one or two bad ones putting me at the 8" to 10" range - what should I be setting as my goal to feel comfortable hitting the field to hunt?

4. To avoid arrow damage - should I be shooting 3 arrow groups?

5. I am practicing with my field tips - do any of you have any concerns practicing with your broadheads (i have NAP Spitfires) I have heard they fly extremely close to my field tips - not sure if I should trust that or not?

6. I have a double bull matrix blind, does anyone practice from their blind? Should I be concerned about putting a lot of holes in my mesh/screen?

I am shooting a Diamond Black Ice, set up at 58# - About 20 years ago I had an old browning Cammaster - this new Bow seems to shoot like a dream, quiet and very smooth...technology sure has come a long way!

Thanks for any input - I never thought I would enjoy target shooting so much.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:37 PM

Here goes.

1. If you can change the vertical height of you target easily, I would practice 2'-3' for deer and 3' for bigger game.

2. I shoot 20-40 yards regularly. I practice 50 yards about 50% of the time. I think people say not to bother with the 50 so you don't pick up a bad habit...which would be taking a 50yr shot at an animal when you are still learning to shoot.
I say get good to 40, and then start on 50.

3. A 5" - 6" spread for hunting is great. That would easily cover the vitals of a deer. But tighter is always better isn't it?

4. If I have time I will shoot singles so I do not tire out too fast. I think about my shots more and shoot more accurately. I shoot 2's & 3's less frequently. Never shot more than 3.

5. Shooting more than 1 broad head at a time is a bad idea. Not only can you damage your blade but you can damage your fletching.

6. Practice from different positions is a good thing. Make yourself uncomfortable and shoot the target. Shoot from knees and so on.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by abrigger; 08-02-2008 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Can't spell.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:40 PM

as of Aug 1 I shoot from many different angles ranges and always BH. From the time the snow leaves till Aug I spend my time shooting field points at 20 30 40 and 50 yards I shoot 3 arrow rounds and will not except any thing bigger then a 1.5' to 2" group. The main thing is to pratice as much as you can (and in any position that you may hunt in) and have confidence in your setup ( bow,arows,BH,everything you use)shoot straight and have a good time in the field.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:21 PM

what ever you do dont go into the field without having first shot your broadheads to make sure they fly like field points, if they dont your SOL dont push your shots anyfarther than you are certain you can hit vitals and practice practice practice
Old 08-04-2008, 09:25 PM

Always sight in with Broadheads before hunting, especially at 40 yards or greater.

Have you 'tuned' your bow - example: paper test.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:09 PM

Default Thanks for the Info!

abrigger - thanks for the advice - I think I will start shooting singles, my first 2 arrows are always better my third!

I am very confident at 15 to 25 yards my typical pattern on 2 arrows is usually less than 3 inches (with the 3rd tired shot pushing that out to 5 or 6")

I think I need to sight in a bit better - I am consistently to the left of target when I am shooting 30 to 40 yards but it doesn't seem that noticeable or negligable at 25 yards.

BigRackLover - thanks - I googled the paper test and will definately try this. My arrows are sometimes in the target at slightly different orientations - but I was chocking that up to shooting error/bad technique - perhaps my knocking position could use some adjustment as well. They sold me the bow as "tuned" but I'm sure no two people would hold/shoot/aim the same way correct? I needed to change my sight position already as I was shooting consistenty about 7 to 8 " left of target - at 25 yards - as I mentioned it appears I have solved a bit of this - just may need a bit more slight adjustment.

I am hoping to get in to see Jim at Jimbows for a lesson - I'm sure it would be well worth the time and answer many of questions.

I will not be too upset if I do not hunt this year, I would like to be very confident before hunting deer. The target shooting is very enjoyable - a huge change from my old browning bow 20 years ago! In the area where I constructed my tree-stand it precludes me from shooting past 35 yards - so I want to get a bit more proficient at 30 to 40 yards before I venture out.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:05 PM

you still have a month to get ready for bow season from the sounds of it all you need is a few little adjustments and tweeks and you should be there. Best of luck to ya
Old 08-05-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpound View Post
I think I need to sight in a bit better - I am consistently to the left of target when I am shooting 30 to 40 yards but it doesn't seem that noticeable or negligable at 25 yards.
This sounds like an issue with your bow grip. To show yourself how important grip and eliminating left/right bow torque is, take a couple shots firmly gripping your bow with all five fingers and watch your arrows impact a foot different at 30 yards.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:09 PM

Get into see an expert and ensure the bow is tuned (Jimbo at Jim's bow will do just fine from what I here). Many small little things need to be in order for correct arrow flight. Everything makes a difference. Perhaps call Jim and set up an appointment/lesson on things your doing correct/wrong.

Other suggestion is to join a club (or go to a range on club shooting night) and ask other experienced archers to watch you (and your form) and to give suggestion. I'm sureyou'lll have no problems getting volunteers.

3" groups at 30 yards is "OK" but I'd want to be touching arrows by the time September 3rd comes around.