Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-01-2020, 09:54 AM

Default Some tips on how to jig open water lake trout

https://youtu.be/-mxY1dLHh2w

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2020, 09:56 AM

Also a technique I like using was putting a piece of Sucker belly on dropping it down to the bottom and reeling up at a steady pace you will catch just as many fish as trolling and probably more because you're spending more time in the water just a tip from 20 years of guiding in some of the best lake trout lakes in Northern Canada.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2020, 10:42 AM

Nothing to do with jigging but... If you want to catch more trolling move the lure vertically in the water column. Once I figured that out, if I got both rods set without hooking up on the first one down I would raise or lower the cannon ball about 20’ on the first then the second line. The last few trips I went to cold lake I don’t think I ever trolled more then 100m without a single or double header.
We had more double headers then singles by popping the second lure out of the clip after the first went off and cranking it up. It almost always got hit on the way in.
Obviously you need to be marking fish and be dragging something they’ll want to eat but if they’ve got lock jaw move it vertically.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:00 PM

they do look like fun fish, not really a lot of water deep enough around here to hold them, may have to add it to the bucket(notbrigade) list. only lakers Ive caught were on a fly under a bobber up above Canmore just after ice out. some of the whitefish I caught were even bigger so lots of room to move up

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-01-2020, 07:52 PM

Nice and simple.. always good to keep it simple. Good vid.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Simple....my dad said to me a long time ago....lake trout need not complicate things as they eat everything at all depths too.....I have been bored so moved out to deep water just to see what kicking around....down goes the jig....170 feet of water and then start the process....up a few cranks...jig....yup...fish on....ya just never know.....plus jigging free's up a hand so you can have lunch.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-02-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Nothing to do with jigging but... If you want to catch more trolling move the lure vertically in the water column. Once I figured that out, if I got both rods set without hooking up on the first one down I would raise or lower the cannon ball about 20’ on the first then the second line. The last few trips I went to cold lake I don’t think I ever trolled more then 100m without a single or double header.
We had more double headers then singles by popping the second lure out of the clip after the first went off and cranking it up. It almost always got hit on the way in.
Obviously you need to be marking fish and be dragging something they’ll want to eat but if they’ve got lock jaw move it vertically.
Coil.. I do the same thing when running dipsy's in the remote camps. Another note to trollers, do not run a straight line. a continuos zig zag makes the lures move up and down in the water column as well.
Whelen.. pretty tough to beat a good day of laker jigging for sure. Just wish more of my clients had the patience to enjoy it.

Osky