Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2020, 10:06 AM

This reminds me of my all time favourite video on YouTube.

Be forewarned, there is considerable cussing. But I think he makes his statement clear to his local govt that he doesn’t agree with the copper mine

https://youtu.be/Qj-u1aY_35o
Old 06-30-2020, 10:32 AM

Betting he made the "Special Handling " list with local law enforcement after that tirade. Has nothing to do with the Ram River proposal.

Grizz
Old 07-03-2020, 01:05 PM

Here is the government response
36238 signed Anderson (1).pdf
Old 07-03-2020, 05:39 PM

My main concerns are the destruction the mining process will have on the area and the lack of benefit to this wonderful province.
Huge cost low reward.
I am all for developing our resources, coal included, so long as it makes sense. This one seems really odd. We have existing coal mines getting shut down that could be developed further with less impact. We could have local companies and residents of Alberta gaining more from them too. Why seek to disrupt such a fragile ecosystem? Is there anything that will actually be done to change the plans or is it just full coal powered steam ahead?
Old 07-04-2020, 05:57 PM

Default minister

The letter says they did not extend the deep drill exploration permit past 2015. So does that mean the results were poor and no mine? The rest of the letter is usual political BS which usually means it will go ahead. No concrete answers.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:06 PM

That's what I thought until I checked the Ram Coal website and there still appears to be interest in the project. They have moved ahead with a feasibility study,
Old 07-06-2020, 06:31 AM

I along with many others were part of the presentations that resulted in the East Slope
Policy. . Our preparation took hours reading background information so we could present a reasonable case for protection of the land base.
I feel betrayed that some Govt can arbitrarily overturn the work we and a host of others have done to develop and maintain a land use policy for over 45 years.
Certainly, the Policy didn’t foresee the land use today but largely it worked.
This has to be the most ill conceived idea that this govt has done.

Regards,

Don
Old 07-06-2020, 10:17 AM

The Ram area was taken away from me given to the guides. ALL OF IT.

Cue all the posers in designer chest waders. The likes of me who want a fish to bring home are probably long gone now.

Last edited by threeforthree; 07-06-2020 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Clean up
Old 07-06-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamlinguine View Post
The Ram area was taken away from me given to the guides. ALL OF IT. So I hope the mine goes through. Giant middle finger to all you @#$%^ers.

Cue all the posers in designer chest waders. Greedy pigs. The likes of me who want a fish to bring home are probably long gone now.
What are you talking about? The Ram was not given to anyone. Guides? Anyone can fish it...it's public land.

If you are talking about the reg changes making it C&R....considering how badly that place gets worked and how slow the fish grow, combined with flooding and other man made factors that reg change was long over due.

J
Old 07-06-2020, 10:44 AM

Hit'n the sauce kinda early!

I regularly fish the NRR, in shorts and wading shoes, in the fall I''l put on my neoprene waders. I've never been bother by guides or anyone for that matter. Yes often there are other fishermen, but I or they just move on. Mostly I fish it in the late fall and I have it all to myself. Well except for the cattle and ranchers chasing the cattle.

I've sent my later off to the guberment, still waiting for a a response though.

If they do allow this mining it will not be good for the entire area. 35 years ago the place was wild and pristine, not so much anymore.

BW

Last edited by threeforthree; 07-06-2020 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Clean up
Old 07-06-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Hit'n the sauce kinda early!

I regularly fish the NRR, in shorts and wading shoes, in the fall I''l put on my neoprene waders. I've never been bother by guides or anyone for that matter. Yes often there are other fishermen, but I or they just move on. Mostly I fish it in the late fall and I have it all to myself. Well except for the cattle and ranchers chasing the cattle.

I've sent my later off to the guberment, still waiting for a a response though.

If they do allow this mining it will not be good for the entire area. 35 years ago the place was wild and pristine, not so much anymore.

BW
My initial post was cue the hillbilly accents. But all the respect to you... if you poach a few of the dead ones for the dinner table. I don't have the guts so I have to stay away. Unless you're using one of those fish hammocks there is no frickin way to release those things without doing major damage. I have never seen trout so hard to release, they kick up such a fuss.

A mine probably would be OK. I have confidence in environmental regulation. It wont destroy the snoots playground unfortunately.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokey75 View Post
What are you talking about? The Ram was not given to anyone. Guides? Anyone can fish it...it's public land.

If you are talking about the reg changes making it C&R....considering how badly that place gets worked and how slow the fish grow, combined with flooding and other man made factors that reg change was long over due.

J
I always caught fish there, just not at the road head. I had a lot of beautiful and meaningful days there working the river and taking home a couple suitable fish. I miss that compared to meaningless casting out of the car and watching dead ones float away.

I haven't been below the falls for maybe 4 years. I wonder what the fishing and the populations are like now.