Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
I'm pretty sure Chuck likes Leupold, for sure he likes their mounts and rings.
hey, don't put words in the guys mouth, nobody knows what he likes

he's got thick skin, no doubt about that
Old 11-19-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
hey TJ.....you remember how predictable i am on an issue or two? i pointed out a predictable response for you the other day, but i think the hands down winner for a guaranteed response has to be chuck on this one. any short mag sucks, leupold is garbage, and model 70s are the only good gun ever built. lolololol.

and dont get all bent outta shape chuck. it isnt meant as a sleight or a cheap shot. just an observation.
An observation that is almost completely false.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-19-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
hey, don't put words in the guys mouth, nobody knows what he likes

he's got thick skin, no doubt about that
I wasn't or didn't mean to if I did. I don't think it would take much searching to find Chuck's thoughts on Leupold and I too have a fond spot for Model 70s.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:36 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
hey TJ.....you remember how predictable i am on an issue or two? i pointed out a predictable response for you the other day, but i think the hands down winner for a guaranteed response has to be chuck on this one. any short mag sucks, leupold is garbage, and model 70s are the only good gun ever built. lolololol.

and dont get all bent outta shape chuck. it isnt meant as a sleight or a cheap shot. just an observation.
Don't drag me into this one ISB.....if I recall, Chuck appreciates quality Leupold optics and many brands of quality rifles. One of the problems with putting words in other people's mouths is that they are rarely correct.... I will agree that the 270WSM seems to be a bit of a hot button for him though but I'd never be so bold as to speculate as to his personal feelings about them

Last edited by sheephunter; 11-19-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
My feelings as well. The .270 wsm balisticly fits into a pretty much imaginary gap.
I own guns that shoot .264" bullets,and .284" bullets,yet I have no desire to own a gun that shoots the .277" bullets.The .264" bullets are available with higher BCs,and the .284" bullets offer a better selection of available bullets.That just doesn't leave me any reason to own a 270 of any designation.

But if you do like the .277" bullets,go with the 270win if you are more conservative,and with the 270wsm if you are into the short fat cartridge hype.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:04 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
But if you do like the .277" bullets,go with the 270win if you are more conservative,and with the 270wsm if you are into the short fat cartridge hype.
Why would you have to be into the hype to shoot one. Why not shoot one for the attributes they actually have? Not everyone that shoots one is blinded by marketing hype. Some of us just shoot them for what they are....a good solid .277 offering.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Why would you have to be into the hype to shoot one. Why not shoot one for the attributes they actually have? Not everyone that shoots one is blinded by marketing hype. Some of us just shoot them for what they are....a good solid .277 offering.
exactly, they are more, some guys know how to utilize the 'more' too, and if don't want to reload you can go a long ways with this one without going too crazy on recoil of big 30 cals

agree, many will buy it on hype and really not need or ever use the extra zing....but searching over factory ammo choices with a ballistic eye....its one of the most capable and versatile going....
Old 11-19-2010, 10:20 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
exactly, they are more, some guys know how to utilize the 'more' too, and if don't want to reload you can go a long ways with this one without going too crazy on recoil of big 30 cals

agree, many will buy it on hype and really not need or ever use the extra zing....but searching over factory ammo choices with a ballistic eye....its one of the most capable and versatile going....
Truthfully Stinky I don't even need that justification. I just wanted a new sheep rifle and the .270WSM seemed a good fit. I have no illusions as to what it can and can't do...I just wanted to try one. Sure there are lots of ballistically superior choices but I wanted to give this new comer a try. I can't believe how frightened a few posters on this board are that I acually chose the .270WSM knowing full well it's limitations. I'm fine with it......it's not the most uber cartridge out there but it's not the worst either. Just a good fit for this rifle........it's okay guys, I actually bought it without believing the hype...
Old 11-19-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Why would you have to be into the hype to shoot one.
You don't have to buy into the hype,but most of the WSM buyers certainly did,because of the B.S. adds that Winchester and Browning ran to promote the WSM familiy of cartridges.I never bought into the hype that the WSM line of cartridges brought any significant advantage over the existing cartridges.The "supposed" accuracy advantage,along with some "supposed" advantage resulting by the slightly shorter action,or the claims of significant reduction in recoil,were nothing more than marketing hype,meant to promote the new cartridges.

Not everyone bought in to the marketing hype,but the majority of WSM owners that I have met certainly did.Spending as much time as I do at the local range,I couldn't help but overhear one WSM owner after another bragging up their new rifles to anyone that would listen.However,most quieted down quite a bit when they couldn't outshoot the people at the range that were using their "obsolete" old school magnums,or non magnums.

I guess that I shouldn't complain though,since I did pocket some expense money from some of those people,after proving to them that accuracy is not always decided by the cartridge being used.Some of then still don't understand how my long,high capacity magnums outshot them so badly,but at least they stopped reciting the B.S. from the Winchester and Browning adds.

As for your reason for buying the 270WSM,it sounds like you bought one based on your own interpretation of the merits of the cartridge,rather than because of the marketing hype,so I guess that makes you one of a small minority of WSM owners.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:59 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
You don't have to buy into the hype,but most of the WSM buyers certainly did,because of the B.S. adds that Winchester and Browning ran to promote the WSM familiy of cartridges.I never bought into the hype that the WSM line of cartridges brought any significant advantage over the existing cartridges.The "supposed" accuracy advantage,along with some "supposed" advantage resulting by the slightly shorter action,or the claims of significant reduction in recoil,were nothing more than marketing hype,meant to promote the new cartridges.

Not everyone bought in to the marketing hype,but the majority of WSM owners that I have met certainly did.Spending as much time as I do at the local range,I couldn't help but overhear one WSM owner after another bragging up their new rifles to anyone that would listen.However,most quieted down quite a bit when they couldn't outshoot the people at the range that were using their "obsolete" old school magnums,or non magnums.

I guess that I shouldn't complain though,since I did pocket some expense money from some of those people,after proving to them that accuracy is not always decided by the cartridge being used.Some of then still don't understand how my long,high capacity magnums outshot them so badly,but at least they stopped reciting the B.S. from the Winchester and Browning adds.

As for your reason for buying the 270WSM,it sounds like you bought one based on your own interpretation of the merits of the cartridge,rather than because of the marketing hype,so I guess that makes you one of a small minority of WSM owners.
Gee, you really don't think much of most gun owners do you...lol I've seen some that bought into the hype and lots of others that just bought one based on their needs and how the cartridge fit in. Guess I know a few more savvy shooters than you do

Last edited by sheephunter; 11-19-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Gee, you really don't think much of most gun owners do you..
I think a lot of some gun owners,and very little of others,just like with non gun owners.

Quote:
Guess I know a few more savvy shooters than you do
Probably not,the regulars that I often shoot with at the range,tend to be quite knowledgeable shooters.They know enough not to buy into the hype,in fact,the Cat often shoots open sights and blackpowder guns.

The people that buy into the hype tend to be the people that only appear at the range from mid summer until hunting season is under way.They usually only come out once or twice to attempt to sight in a gun,but they are never seen practicing,or shooting from field positions.I see them once or twice,a year,but the fact is,I don't know them,other than having to put up with them once or twice per year.I use the term "put up with",because these are the people that don't know the range rules,and tend to be the ones that aren't overly safety conscious.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Probably not
Classic!

-Billy Molls
Old 11-19-2010, 01:41 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I think a lot of some gun owners,and very little of others,just like with non gun owners.

Probably not,the regulars that I often shoot with at the range,tend to be quite knowledgeable shooters.They know enough not to buy into the hype,in fact,the Cat often shoots open sights and blackpowder guns.

The people that buy into the hype tend to be the people that only appear at the range from mid summer until hunting season is under way.They usually only come out once or twice to attempt to sight in a gun,but they are never seen practicing,or shooting from field positions.I see them once or twice,a year,but the fact is,I don't know them,other than having to put up with them once or twice per year.I use the term "put up with",because these are the people that don't know the range rules,and tend to be the ones that aren't overly safety conscious.
LOL...you are wound pretty tight elk...it's good to laugh at ourselves occasionally....it's what seperates us from the animals..... I'm headed out to chase some whitetails...with my recoiless, super short, uber magnum.....chat later
Old 11-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Banned

this post just to see if we can push this rediculous topic into 6 pages

crap...not quite
Old 11-19-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Classic!
That is one word for it. I can think of others.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Classic!
Careful Chuck,you might offend some of those savvy shooters that he was referring to.In fact,you probably already have.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:05 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Careful Chuck,you might offend some of those savvy shooters that he was referring to.In fact,you probably already have.
Sarcasim really is lost on you isn't it? lol That whole laughing at yourself thing....... This thread reached the point of being rediculous long ago......kind of fun to send it out with a little humour.....apparently that's not likely to happen...okay, I'm really gone hunting now.

Last edited by sheephunter; 11-19-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:12 PM

wow
Old 11-19-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Sarcasim really is lost on you isn't it? lol That whole laughing at yourself thing...
I was being sarcastic myself,and I was laughing as I posted the statement,I just wasn't laughing at myself.I was laughing as I wondered just how long it would take you to see my post and respond,and how you would respond.Unfortunately your response was even weaker than I expected.By the way-that was also sarcasm.LOL.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:18 PM
sheephunter

LOL...somehow I can't imagine you laughing elk.....okay, honest, I'm out the door.

Dang Stinky, I tried...this is the longest Page 5 ever!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
LOL...somehow I can't imagine you laughing elk.....
Only because you don't know me.Myself and my hunting partners share a lot of laughs on our hunts,and I share many laughs at work with my crew.Unfortunately the printed words you see on a site like this don't show a persons expressions or emotions,so you really never get to know that person,until you actually meet them.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:28 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Only because you don't know me.Myself and my hunting partners share a lot of laughs on our hunts,and I share many laughs at work with my crew.Unfortunately the printed words you see on a site like this don't show a persons expressions or emotions,so you really never get to know that person,until you actually meet them.
I'm good thanks!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I'm good thanks!
But you are still here,you were supposed to be out the door nearly an hour ago.LOL.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:37 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
But you are still here,you were supposed to be out the door nearly an hour ago.LOL.
See, now that was funny and you have me laughing at myself.......maybe there is hope for you. Now I really am gone.

Longest Page 5 EVER!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Good grief. Oh, and I can almost guarantee I have more "modern" in my hunting firearm than what you have in yours.
OHHHHHHHHHHH palease tell us all how u got more "modern" u so personally biased its unbelievable ....

Last edited by Pines; 11-19-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Banned

Default ok

change IS very scary and uncertain to some people !! security is "a blanket" and a well known phrase and for a reason ..this is not aimed at anyone specific..

Last edited by Pines; 11-19-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:52 PM

C'mon now Elkhunter11, all you have to do is add a bunch of "LOL's" to your posts. Seems to be the ticket to saying anything.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Banned

come on page six!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 03:00 PM

Well this thread just gets more entertaining as the days go on... LOL

( one more post Sheepguide haha)
Old 11-19-2010, 03:01 PM

Neither are as good as the 340 weatherby