Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 07:48 AM

Default Autobahn

It is mentioned here and often inferred that there is no speed limit on a Autobahn.
I was under the impression that the word Autobahn is just a German word for Highway? There definitely are speed limits on some Autobahns....
Maybe I have something wrong?
Old 11-15-2018, 08:05 AM

It's really not that hard to look up..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn
Old 11-15-2018, 08:07 AM

Strictly speaking about the German Autobahn, yes and yes.
There are speed limits set up in certain stretches of them, due to various reasons, such as construction zones, high traffic areas, etc... But once you pass the speed sign with the lines through it, no limit.
The picture attached may explain it a bit better.
The nice things with the Autobahn and my numerous experiences on it is that there is a very small number of idiots behind the wheel, people actually know how to drive and stay out of the left lane unless actually passing, usually at a high rate of speed. Wish it was like that here too, but the way driving licences are handed out like candy, makes one shudder... sorry little side tracked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg signs1.JPG (54.0 KB, 123 views)
Old 11-15-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
It's really not that hard to look up..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn
When posting something there is always a chance I could be wrong and someone on this forum knows more than I or is better educated on the subject matter.
Wikipedia is far from perfect and many errors are routinely found so it may not be a great idea to use it for a single source to answer all queries. I also would believe many people on this forum have lived in or visited Germany in the past that may have first hand info.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:07 AM

Autobahn is the German word for highway. And Tacomama is spot on. No limit is only in Germany, doesn't apply to Austria or Swiss Autobahn. They have max speeds but still call it Autobahn. Probably more countries like Liechtenstein or so call it Autobahn as well.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 11-15-2018, 09:07 AM

Portions of the autobahns have speed limits and portions do not, at least in Germany where I have driven them. If we pretended the QE2 was an autobahn, there would be a speed limit though the portion near Red Deer, Leduc and Airdrie.

LC
Old 11-15-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
When posting something there is always a chance I could be wrong and someone on this forum knows more than I or is better educated on the subject matter.
Wikipedia is far from perfect and many errors are routinely found so it may not be a great idea to use it for a single source to answer all queries. I also would believe many people on this forum have lived in or visited Germany in the past that may have first hand info.
Oh I get that, my point was a simple google search (which would probably take less time than this post) would've given you the correct answer even if you don't like wiki.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
Strictly speaking about the German Autobahn, yes and yes.
There are speed limits set up in certain stretches of them, due to various reasons, such as construction zones, high traffic areas, etc... But once you pass the speed sign with the lines through it, no limit.
The picture attached may explain it a bit better.
The nice things with the Autobahn and my numerous experiences on it is that there is a very small number of idiots behind the wheel, people actually know how to drive and stay out of the left lane unless actually passing, usually at a high rate of speed. Wish it was like that here too, but the way driving licences are handed out like candy, makes one shudder... sorry little side tracked.
On numerous trips to Germany on business over the past 10 years, I've probably driven close to 18,000 to 20,000 Km on the A-bahns (plus a fair bit on the secondary highways).

What has been posted thus far, per above, is pretty much spot on - especially about the quality of the driving there. In all those years and over all those Km's, I never once encountered a "left-lane bandit". I've overtaken lots of police vehicles crawling along at only 160 (in an appropriate lane for that speed, second or third from the left/passing lane). Trucks pretty much stay completely in the R/H lane, unless passing, whereupon they immediately get back into the far right lane. There are stretches of low speed limits (typically 120 kph) in construction zones, or through urban/built-up areas, but the majority of the paved surfaces are no limit. Of course, the realization of all concerned that at those speeds, if an accident does occur, all that's left is a smear on the pavement.

One thing though, is somewhat amusing - the cops won't snag you for speeding in an uncontrolled zone, but they'll pull you over in a heartbeat for left-lane banditry. Also, passing on the right is verboten, and they'll pinch you pretty quick for that too.

Finally, from experience. If you're zipping along at 180+, and coming up on a patrol car, don't slow down as a first instinct.....it just makes the police wonder what you're up to.

O.N.G.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:15 PM

The Autobahn was built by Hitler for rapid troop deployment. A technical wonder of it's day. That and the Volkswagen survive.

Grizz
Old 11-15-2018, 03:31 PM

Scary moment for me.

Me and a tour bus load of 65 high school kids on the A-bahn....

I notice we are passing a really tripped out Porsche ......

I walk up shuddering bus and three drivers got a big grin on

We’re doin I dunno 150-160

Sheesh.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-15-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNewGuy View Post
On numerous trips to Germany on business over the past 10 years, I've probably driven close to 18,000 to 20,000 Km on the A-bahns (plus a fair bit on the secondary highways).

What has been posted thus far, per above, is pretty much spot on - especially about the quality of the driving there. In all those years and over all those Km's, I never once encountered a "left-lane bandit". I've overtaken lots of police vehicles crawling along at only 160 (in an appropriate lane for that speed, second or third from the left/passing lane). Trucks pretty much stay completely in the R/H lane, unless passing, whereupon they immediately get back into the far right lane. There are stretches of low speed limits (typically 120 kph) in construction zones, or through urban/built-up areas, but the majority of the paved surfaces are no limit. Of course, the realization of all concerned that at those speeds, if an accident does occur, all that's left is a smear on the pavement.

One thing though, is somewhat amusing - the cops won't snag you for speeding in an uncontrolled zone, but they'll pull you over in a heartbeat for left-lane banditry. Also, passing on the right is verboten, and they'll pinch you pretty quick for that too.

Finally, from experience. If you're zipping along at 180+, and coming up on a patrol car, don't slow down as a first instinct.....it just makes the police wonder what you're up to.

O.N.G.

I've only driven the Autobahn 3 times in Germany but was pleasantly surprised at how civilized it was. I kept it at 200 or under for the most part, the last time in a Mercedes wagon rental.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Scary moment for me.

Me and a tour bus load of 65 high school kids on the A-bahn....

I notice we are passing a really tripped out Porsche ......

I walk up shuddering bus and three drivers got a big grin on

We’re doin I dunno 150-160

Sheesh.
Passing a Porsche on autobahn with a school bus?? Awesome!! You lived to tell the tale! I would have been a grinning bus driver too...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-15-2018, 07:16 PM

Interesting observation that German police have found drivers dawdling in the left hand lane are more dangerous than high speed drivers.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:46 PM
Banned

I am German and now I’m thinking my lack of doing the speed limit and going twice over is actually a hereditary disposition. I’m gathering my case

Last edited by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^; 11-15-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:16 PM

Back when I lived in Germany...……….I recall 130km/h as a recommended speed and there were signs posted indicating that...……….although there was no limit. 130km/h is considered slow and those driving that speed have no business being in the left lanes...……...cars behind you will be flashing their bright lights on you to move over and you better move over fast because someone could be overtaking you at significant speed. Polizei highway patrol were driving Porsches at the time.

Driving in the Netherlands on equivalent highways I received a photo radar ticket in the mail. 120km/h was the speed limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx7Meo7w-pY
Old 11-15-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Portions of the autobahns have speed limits and portions do not, at least in Germany where I have driven them. If we pretended the QE2 was an autobahn, there would be a speed limit though the portion near Red Deer, Leduc and Airdrie.

LC
X2. Exactly how it works

I shipped my friend her Porsche to Genoa, Italy in August. She ripped around a lot, and fast, especially in Germany. All while sporting an Alberta plate!!
Old 11-15-2018, 09:04 PM

Default Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Passing a Porsche on autobahn with a school bus?? Awesome!! You lived to tell the tale! I would have been a grinning bus driver too...
It’s was a tour bus. But freaky non the less.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-16-2018, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Back when I lived in Germany...……….I recall 130km/h as a recommended speed and there were signs posted indicating that...……….although there was no limit. 130km/h is considered slow and those driving that speed have no business being in the left lanes...……...cars behind you will be flashing their bright lights on you to move over and you better move over fast because someone could be overtaking you at significant speed. Polizei highway patrol were driving Porsches at the time.

Driving in the Netherlands on equivalent highways I received a photo radar ticket in the mail. 120km/h was the speed limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx7Meo7w-pY
Awesome... the Netherlands can send you a photo radar ticket but Edmonton doesn't have the technology to give photo radar tickets to people with out of province license plates. Even though all the other cities in Canada with photo radar are able to.
I bet that lost revenue would pay for a lot of those empty bike lanes and maybe even some road repair.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Awesome... the Netherlands can send you a photo radar ticket but Edmonton doesn't have the technology to give photo radar tickets to people with out of province license plates. Even though all the other cities in Canada with photo radar are able to.
I bet that lost revenue would pay for a lot of those empty bike lanes and maybe even some road repair.
The car was a rental. Ticket sent to rental agency. Rental agency sent me the ticket in the mail...
Old 11-16-2018, 08:45 AM

My aunt lives in Germany. She had an S class Mercedes and would routinely
cruise at 250 km/hr.
My dad was on it a long time ago when he was still alive. He was passing some guy , so was in far left lane. He see's oncoming headlights. A " ghost-rider" ( as they called them) was going the wrong way full speed towards him. No choice but to swerve over. Said the guy just kept going.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:49 PM

Smile I can see the headlines.

Here we have a fine example of how some of our very own AO members would apply their driving techniques on the Autobahn, as discussed in other entitled driving threads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWD3Zi23rIs

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-17-2018, 09:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Spent some time over in Baden Baden and I tell ya you get the flash of light move over and hang on the wind from the passing vehicle is strong.....zoooooooooooom.......gone!

And then there are the 5 km of debris of a wreck........can't fix stupid.....

image.jpg

It's ok I was wearing my seatbelt and I have airbags too.....180km per hour gotta take my text .....I am a great driver.....don't worry......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...