Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-23-2017, 10:43 AM

Sorry you read into my post wrong Kurk.

I said nothing about your 13 year old shooting your rifle.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Sorry you read into my post wrong Kurk.

I said nothing about your 13 year old shooting your rifle.
It is time you stopped criticizing other people reading comprehension.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:

Funny how your talking about a 5 pound rifle even though you posted the rifle your picking up "will" be 4 1/2 lbs, then when you have the link it seems that a spin in direction pops up.

Don
Right here Don. You failed to pick up on the fact I was talking about 2 different Rifles.

Like I said, read up on Melvin Forbes, it'll help you with understanding recoil a lot better than what your calculator is doing.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
No spin my friend, just following what the stats say.

Don
Felt recoil Don. That is what matters. No calculator in the world can figure it out. And neither will you until you actually shoulder a well built rifle.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-23-2017, 11:18 AM

I'll take full fault.

My interpretation of a 5 lb AI 280 is not the same as a 4 1/2 lb Creedmoor.

Don
Old 08-23-2017, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'll take full fault.

My interpretation of a 5 lb AI 280 is not the same as a 4 1/2 lb Creedmoor.

Don
Mine either, the 280 will have more felt recoil, thus my reason for saying the recoil from the Creedmoor will be nothing and using the 280 and my son as an example of it..... because I know from experience.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Banned

Recoil? Try my 9lb 458 Lott throwing a 500 gr bullet. That's recoil.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Recoil? Try my 9lb 458 Lott throwing a 500 gr bullet. That's recoil.

What is your typical wind and drop at 1000 yards? Juuuuuust kidding

Nice gun
Old 08-23-2017, 05:43 PM

At realistic hunting distances there is not much difference in wind, but a massive difference in energy on target.... not much difference in drop either. The little guns recoil are represented in the lack of energy compared to bigger calibers

Last edited by Nyksta; 08-23-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post

At realistic hunting distances there is not much difference in wind, but a massive difference in energy on target.... not much difference in drop either. The little guns recoil are represented in the lack of energy compared to bigger calibers
At realistic hunting distances, how much energy is required???

By looking at your chart you can clearly see how the 6.5's and 7mm's outperform the 30cal bullets. Prime example is the 280 vs the 30-06.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:40 PM

30 cal isn't going anywhere. Although you certainly don't need a .308 to shoot 1000 yards, or a .30 magnum (pick your poison) to hunt big game. I do look forward to putting together a .260 one of these years, have dies/brass/bullets already so now I'm committed!
Old 08-23-2017, 10:25 PM

Looking at ballistics tables can drive a person nuts. Comparing how much one caliber drops to another or wind drift.

Hunting is generally 300yards and under. Just about any of the popular calibers are so close to each other that with a 200yard zero you would be in the kill area.

All of the advantages of premium bullets are shared, correct stock fit for recoil can be applied to any caliber. There really isn't much that can't be used for one caliber to give an advantage to another caliber within reason of course. A large caliber magnum is still going to kick in a hunting rifle.

The thing is what difference does it make if a 308 drops 6 inches more than a 6.5 creedmore at 500 yards? If one is dropping 45 inches and the other 51 inches they both drop. If the shooter can't judge the distance or read the wind they won't make the shot. It's not like a rifle is zero at 100 and goes out to 500 yards without adjustments.

I was at the range last year and a younger guy was out there. He was hooked on long range target shooting and excited about it. Wasn't using an expensive rifle or scope. He wasn't sure if he was going to like it so he didn't want to spend much to start. Shooting a 308 Mossberg. He was doing some handloads and ran out , shooting 1000yards and more. He had some left over norc steel cases surplus ammo to shoot. That's the ammo he learned on, didn't want to invest much. Said he had shot about two cases of it, that a lot of shooting. Hadn't shot it in a while, asked me to spot for him at 850 yards steel target( I had a spotting scope). His rangefinder and kestrasl were worth more than the rifle and scope. He looked in his notepad of what info he collected for that cheap ammo. He hit the target in the center first shot, continued to hit it. He put the time and effort into knowing what the ammo and rifle would do. Not match ammo, cheap steel cases ammo with poor ballistics. He only started shooting the previous year.

From my own experience once you go past 300 yards it more about practise, keeping track of conditions, reading the wind more than caliber. Really need to actually get out there and shoot. Not look at ballistics. I won't hunt past 300 yards but I will shoot targets past that. I had fun with my 308 and a 6 inch gong at 500 yards a while ago. Read the wind correct get hits, don't miss.