Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-05-2012, 03:17 AM

Default Reminder

From an e-mail sent out by the LFGA.

City Council Meeting UPDATE

Thank you for all of your support!!! We are building a great community.
Some points to remember when attending the City Council Meeting:
No noise... the Mayor may stop the proceedings if there is a lot of noise
Our values are tolerance, understanding and cooperation.

The Council Meeting starts at 1:30 PM and all of presentations and documentation that will be provided is on our website at www.lfga.org under the title LATEST NEWS. So you can look over the information that City Council will be viewing. There is parking to the South and to the North of City Hall.

We will update the website once the decision is made by City Council so you may wish to check the website LATEST NEWS page for the result.

Please forward this message to your friends and encourage them to subscribe to our email news
Old 03-05-2012, 04:53 PM

Default What happened

I had a job that I could not get away from to come to the meeting, I am sorry for not coming but whats the deal did our precious range make it through the meeting????????
Old 03-05-2012, 05:05 PM

I'm still at work and I've been checking this thread whenever I have a minute to spare. I'd love a few details...

I'm blocked from viewing CGN at work. Any idea if there's discussion over there?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
I had a job that I could not get away from to come to the meeting, I am sorry for not coming but whats the deal did our precious range make it through the meeting????????
They put the decision on hold for another 2 weeks! Most of the council members seem to be leaning towards our side. The police did a horrible job with their presentation which helps us.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki610 View Post
They put the decision on hold for another 2 weeks! Most of the council members seem to be leaning towards our side. The police did a horrible job with their presentation which helps us.
I read the LFGA presentation earlier, but I just got a look at the police one now. It really is awful. I would have loved to see it given in person...
Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 PM

Alderman Ellis and Mayor Dodic needed "more time" to consider the information provided, AND for the LFGA to make the range "safer" - what a tool.

The subject was Tabled until the 19th. So no range until then.

By my count, unless there is a drastic change the range will reopen. Aldermen Coffman and Parker voted against the motion to Table. Mearns, Parker and Iwaskiw (along with Coffman and Parker) were pretty clear that they will be voting to reopen the range, but voted to table as a courtesy to Ellis and Dodic.

Overall I was impressed by the Aldermen's interest and questions.

The presentation by the LRPS was nothing short of embarrassing. His performance made me seriously concerned about the quality of staff at the City Police. I am sure that most of the officers are capable and professional, but the fact Inspector Catonio doesn't even know if an SKS is required to be registered (I loved how everyone in the chamber answered unanimously
"yes"), or whether it will be required to be registered after the registry dies.

Oh! And my favorite part: when asked about "prohibited" firearms he stated: "well, there prohibited... so nobody is supposed to have those."

Had to bite my tongue for 3 hours!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepyrofish View Post
I read the LFGA presentation earlier, but I just got a look at the police one now. It really is awful. I would have loved to see it given in person...
No, you really wouldn't have. As I said, it was embarrassing.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:19 PM

LOL....awesome.

Another case of poeple in power with no clue about what they are making decisions on....

Any link to where a guy can read each of these presentations? I hope it turns out well for you guys down South.

LC
Old 03-05-2012, 05:19 PM

The cop couldn't answer council's question as to whether SKS's had to be registered (we all helped him with that one) one council member asked if they had used the registry to find out how many SKS were owned by landowners around the city, of course they haven't!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
LOL....awesome.

Another case of poeple in power with no clue about what they are making decisions on....

Any link to where a guy can read each of these presentations? I hope it turns out well for you guys down South.

LC
See them all here.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Alderman Ellis and Mayor Dodic needed "more time" to consider the information provided, AND for the LFGA to make the range "safer" - what a tool.

By my count, unless there is a drastic change the range will reopen. Aldermen Coffman and Parker voted against the motion to Table. Mearns, Parker and Iwaskiw (along with Coffman and Parker) were pretty clear that they will be voting to reopen the range, but voted to table as a courtesy to Ellis and Dodic.

The presentation by the LRPS was nothing short of embarrassing. His performance made me seriously concerned about the quality of staff at the City Police. I am sure that most of the officers are capable and professional, but the fact Inspector Catonio doesn't even know if an SKS is required to be registered (I loved how everyone in the chamber answered unanimously
"yes"), or whether it will be required to be registered after the registry dies.

Oh! And my favorite part: when asked about "prohibited" firearms he stated: "well, there prohibited... so nobody is supposed to have those."

ARE YOU F'ING KIDDING ME, What kind of dumb@zz response is this!!! this is worse then one of the aldermen called me darren after I used my name more then 5 times and my email has my name in it. I am dumbfounded on what to say about that. i just dont understand, it must be a sick joke. I would like to add there is a range west of coalhurst, that has extreme fully auto coming from it lol. And by extreme, we were out training out dogs and in that hour we were out there I would say about 20,000 rounds or more was expended
Old 03-05-2012, 06:04 PM

Sounds like the Global news crew ignored everything after the police report, pretty one sided reporting!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:15 PM

It was good that the "facts" presented by the Lethbridge City Police Service didn't seem to hold up to council's scrutiny-surprise! A lot of support from our members and others-the place was overflowing out into the foyer.
Finally a big pat on the back for Mr Friesen and Mr Blakely, range operator and president of the LFGA respectively. Very professional, thanks!
Very educational, I know which mayor I won't be voting for next time, he can keep warm with the firearms registry recycled paper.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevpack View Post
It was good that the "facts" presented by the Lethbridge City Police Service didn't seem to hold up to council's scrutiny-surprise! A lot of support from our members and others-the place was overflowing out into the foyer.
Finally a big pat on the back for Mr Friesen and Mr Blakely, range operator and president of the LFGA respectively. Very professional, thanks!
Very educational, I know which mayor I won't be voting for next time, he can keep warm with the firearms registry recycled paper.
Geez im still reeling about the champ they had to represent the city police. and for the certain 2 that need two more weeks to figure it out, Im sorry you were beat up alot when you were younger but dont take it out on us!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
has extreme fully auto coming from it
Thats extreme
Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMarty911 View Post
Thats extreme
hahaha, hey you must forgive me, the cops in my home town only had there pistols and a shotty, Iv never heard autofire before so you must forgive me
Old 03-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:

X2 on that. My fav was the part about the golf course and golf balls...and when they questioned beck about who was all present at the closure meeting ...RFLO oh and the smoking gun, the Found bullet and the rifle that was at the range that was suppose to have shot it !!!! Did the LPS match the bullet rifling marks to rifling in the barrel for evidence NNNOOO they did not!!! Wtf!!!even the inspector said it was a bad investigation!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki610 View Post
Sounds like the Global news crew ignored everything after the police report, pretty one sided reporting!
To be fair, I had a discussion with a Global employee yesterday, and he stated that because of their production schedule, they tape the evening news at 3:30'ish. They wanted to get comments ahead of the presentations (which they did from the City management guy) but Rick and Al had no comment until after the meeting. I notice the global guy was gone long before the Aldermen started asking questions.

I will be watching the late news to see how they do with more material.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
hahaha, hey you must forgive me, the cops in my home town only had there pistols and a shotty, Iv never heard autofire before so you must forgive me
Darren, what range are you talking about?

Lol.

But really, where was this? Out by Kipp? There used to be a DND range out there, but I wasn't sure if it was still in use. I doubt is was any police service running full auto.

I have seen a few short burst MP5 exercises, but they are not common.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevpack View Post
x2Even when the BS was gettin 10 ft deep..you kept coool
Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Darren, what range are you talking about?

Lol.

But really, where was this? Out by Kipp? There used to be a DND range out there, but I wasn't sure if it was still in use. I doubt is was any police service running full auto.

I have seen a few short burst MP5 exercises, but they are not common.
Whitecourt, the range doesnt actually reach 100yrds to the backstop so you can just think about how much I love the range we have here. I love it
Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Whitecourt, the range doesnt actually reach 100yrds to the backstop so you can just think about how much I love the range we have here. I love it
Hahahahaha. Not your old range, but where you heard the full-auto!?!?

Or are you just messing with me because of the Darren thing?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:59 PM

A couple of things that really stuck out in my mind today was a question from Alderman Iwaskiw directed to Mr. Beck in relation to the police training range and the bullets that were found behind thier training facility in west Lethbridge. She asked him if they were considering closing that range down also, apparantly west Lethbridge residents are not as valuable as north side residence.

The other one is that the LRPS had the prime chance in 2010 when they had a bullet strike a house, they were dispatched immediatly to that house and to the range were 2 people, one of them had the said rifle that shot this particular caliber found at the house. Yet the investigating officer at the range only took name and numbers. They could have matched the bullet to the gun, if it was infact the gun. What credibility does the LRPS have with this report to the city when the did not even investigate this instance properly. Was this another LRPS training event that didn't want to get reported .

Overall the meeting was very good I just hope that the Aldermen can see through the B.S. and stick to the facts that the Lethbridge Fish and Game presented.

Last edited by crawfy; 03-05-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:11 AM

Crawfy, I think there is some confusion about te LRPS range. It is situated in a very similar way as the LFGA; you shoot from west to east. Very little chance anything on the west side.

She later asked the right question: why is administration trying to close the handgun range at LFGA? Since the LRPS bullets left the range in 2005, there has been ZERO handgun bullets found outside the range (save 1 or 2 on the west side). IF the LFGA handgun range is unsafe, then how can the LRPS range be safe?

Beck (I think that is the city guys name) appeared dumb-struck that she would ask why the city is not trying to close the LRPS range; "that would be a separate discussion". Lol.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:18 AM

Oh, and I loved the question "Who made the decision?" <crickets> "...... Uh, it was an administration decision."

"So who made the decision?". <more crickets> "Okay, who wa in the room?" <awkward pause> "Was the mayor in the room? Was the city Solicitor in the room?"

"Well I was in the room, and I think he was in the room, and I don't know... Were you in the room?". As I said before, the whole thing was embarrassing.

Again, I am very impressed with most of our Aldermen (or Councillors?).
Old 03-06-2012, 11:08 AM

Default Not so sure . . .

I was glad to see that there was standing room only. That shows good support by the range users. The picture in todays Lethbridge Herald was a great one, it shows the great frequency of bullets that are shot outside of the range.

The presentation went longer than I expected, and I have to say that the verbal reports by Barry Beck from City of Lethbridge administration and the one by Colin Catonio of the police were not very strong. I do believe that Allan Friesen and Rick Blakely were quite good. There could be more emphasis on the possibility of shooters from across the river in the rural area, not so sure if the council fully understood that aspect. The councillors did ask quite a few questions, and some of them visited the range prior, so that was good on their part.

The "motion to table" will give them an opportunity to come up with other ways to make the range even safer. In the end, we will probably have to find another location for our range, and that will be the difficult (read . . . expensive) part. Hopefully it is not for quite a few years.

Still can't say for sure which way this will go, probably some sort of split vote.

Two of the alderman were not present-Wickersham and Mauro, I wonder if they will vote on this when it comes up again in two weeks time?

"It is not the shirt on the man, but rather the man in the shirt"
Old 03-06-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Crawfy, I think there is some confusion about te LRPS range. It is situated in a very similar way as the LFGA; you shoot from west to east. Very little chance anything on the west side.
Unfortunetly this is incorrect!!

On the LRPS range you shoot from east to west. The U of L is visible directly over the backstop.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 03-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
Unfortunetly this is incorrect!!

On the LRPS range you shoot from east to west. The U of L is visible directly over the backstop.
Seriously? I haven't seen that range for 7 years or so. I can't believe it faces the other way!

Well now I understand why they were hammering away at them about west side bullets.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:03 PM

For those like me that couldn't make it to the council meeting about the range. Starts about 4 minutes in.
http://meetings.lethbridge.ca/sirepu...doctype=AGENDA
Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 PM

I am confuse with the Lethbridge City and the LRPS and the issue they kept bringing up about the Liability. So if someone was to go and shoot someone or something in downtown Lethbridge is it the City who is liable or is it the Criminal who committed the crime? If I was driving on a city street and went through a stop sign and injured or killed someone is it the city that is liable for that or me?

God knows I would never like to see someone injured/killed but it seems to me that there is someone out there with the said caliber that is either very irresponsible or commiting a criminal offence.