Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat brennan View Post
I am surprised that so many people think our participation in WW2 was unnecessary as Germany would have left us alone. Incredibly naive, at best.
Certainly a sad commentary on their intelligence and our education system, though I guess teachers can only work with what they have.
My statement was about the WWI. WWII is something totally different. There were the Canadian participation necessary and crucial.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos View Post
My statement was about the WWI. WWII is something totally different. There were the Canadian participation necessary and crucial.
Kos, did you not take history in school...or did you just sleep through it?
From the 1890's onward Germany had aspirations to global domination. As Wilhelm II said in a speech in 1893 he forsaw the day when the sun would never set on the German Empire as it had been with Britian.
Weltpolitik...Germany's plan for a world empire https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weltpolitik
But you just go on believing in your pacifist drivel.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I don't recall Weltpolitik being covered at any grade in my schooling, and I excelled in social studies, and in particular history.

That being said, I believe you've misinterpreted the term, and it does not support the point you are trying to make.

Quote:
It's good you are able to bring this learning to everyone's attention, but it's a shame you have to be so aggressive in the delivery.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:11 AM

My belief is ww1 was europeon arguenent that get settled by war they done it for generations. France vs Britain, Spain vs Britain etc these wars would start over territory then there would be a looser and they would give up part of their empire. In WW 1 this is how it started a europeon agrguemnt which Canada had to join in cause we were part of British empire. The problem with WW 1 is this argument was fought with weapons that were not seen before and the scale of death and destruction was off the charts. After the war countries realized how destructive modern war is and is not a way to solve disputes.
The fear of war and the way grmany felt and was treated after being the looser of the First World War spawned the Nazis party led by Hiler. The Nazis party in ww2 was an evil that had to be stopped. They had advanced technology and finatical soldiers. If Germany defeated the soveit union eventually they would have attacked Canada directly and the world today would be very different place.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Abelard View Post
I don't recall Weltpolitik being covered at any grade in my schooling, and I excelled in social studies, and in particular history.

That being said, I believe you've misinterpreted the term, and it does not support the point you are trying to make.

It's good you are able to bring this learning to everyone's attention, but it's a shame you have to be so aggressive in the delivery.
First, my comments were aimed at KOS, not you, so what's your issue.
You're (and KOS) are entitled to your opinions...I'm just glad there were folk, such as my grandfather who was pilot in WWI and my father who was on a corvette and survived a torpedoing in WWII that fought so you could have your opinions, no matter how misguided.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:26 AM

What a poor and distasteful attempt at revisionist history. Even if it had some truth to it, which it doesn't, it's highly disrespectful.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:43 AM

I think some people need to go and review the war records from WW1 and see where the majority of families were originally from in Canada at the time. People were fighting for their families that were still in Europe along with numerous other reasons.
It would be like someone beating the pi$$ out of your cousins for no reason at all. Would you stand there and watch or would you step in and help?
Our veterans are heroes!
Old 11-14-2018, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I think some people need to go and review the war records from WW1 and see where the majority of families were originally from in Canada at the time. People were fighting for their families that were still in Europe along with numerous other reasons.
It would be like someone beating the pi$$ out of your cousins for no reason at all. Would you stand there and watch or would you step in and help?
Our veterans are heroes!
Great perspective!
Old 11-14-2018, 12:25 PM

I am not going to wade into this one, but before I was a mod, I sure as hell would have. And with fire in my nostrils.

Some people need to spend some time at a legion.

Some who have posted are super disrespectful.

Geez.

I better stop now.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:24 PM

An interesting view on Rememberance Day is not what I would call it. A pretty screwed up view of history and Canada’s part in it would be closer to how I would describe the OP’s acquaintance’s view.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but some opinions are best kept to themselves. Especially ones as disrespectful as this one. To be honest I’d be a bit embarrassed to repeat it and I can’t help but think the OP must think it has some merit otherwise I don’t see why he would repeat it either...

The AO forum is a pretty safe place but if a person was to voice that opinion in the wrong crowd he could be in for a world of hurt since it is a subject some feel very passionately about.

Last edited by Positrac; 11-14-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:32 PM

After reading this post all I can say is " NEVER FORGET" .
Old 11-15-2018, 07:07 PM

All our veterns deserve nothing but praise but all I can say about life is the sacrifices of the people that went to war in both world wars make them the greatest generation that ever lived. Millions of men dieing in over seas land so the evil would be stopped to allow us to live free today. There is very few men and women left alive of this era but hopefully we will not forget what they stood for.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I am not going to wade into this one, but before I was a mod, I sure as hell would have. And with fire in my nostrils.

Geez.

I better stop now.
You got that right. Stupidity and ignorance knows no bounds at times.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

Geez.

I better stop now.
I honestly don’t know how many of you are so restrained.

Op, here’s my take, there was no stranger, no conversation, you started this thread to troll, well done.

Always remember those that visit harm so you may safely sleep at night.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
From the 1890's onward Germany had aspirations to global domination. As Wilhelm II said in a speech in 1893 he forsaw the day when the sun would never set on the German Empire as it had been with Britian.
Weltpolitik...Germany's plan for a world empire https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weltpolitik
Actually, everybody was striving for a place in the sun, Britain, Germany, Russia, France, Austria plus a few more. Everybody had alliances including some secret ones to cover their backs. A war was expected and they all believed they'd come out ahead. When it came it was an an accident. The man who started it by assassinating the Austrian arch duke and his wife couldn't understand how a couple of pistol shots escalated to a world wide conflict.

Grizz
Old 11-15-2018, 08:57 PM

If you read Weltpolitik correctly.... it’s not world domination... but attain ‘their place in the sun’... to be legit among the great powers.

I show a 12 part series ( some parts) in my class sometimes. It’s all on YouTube....

It’s called The Great War and the Shaping of the Twentieth Century.

Very accurate.

I believe it isn’t appropriate to publicly voice ‘whether or nor we should have gone to war’
Simply because it’s disrespectful to those that sacrificed.
My wife’s great uncle was a ww1 vet.

The torch has been passed to us. We must be thoughtful and respectful.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-15-2018, 10:07 PM
Banned

Yes, many were looking 'for their place in the sun', but they were willing to do it in the more 'peaceful' (in their minds) manner of extending their influence in political and monetary ways...much as they still do today.
But the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, Wilhelm II close friend so angered the Kaiser that he pushed Austria-Hungary to attack Serbia.
In the Kaiser's personal memoirs he states that he didn't really want Germany itself involved in all out war, but his military leaders (Moltke and Falkenhayn) believed war between the major powers was inevitable and the sooner the better for the Germans.
Unfortunately, thought the Kaiser didn't want war his generals were more powerful than he realized and they refused to stop it.
And they did believe that Germany would prevail and extend their power (along with their allies) throughout the world.
Take it for what you will...but Germany was far more willing than, say England, France or America to extend their will through the use of force as opposed to political will.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Farmer View Post
Op, here’s my take, there was no stranger, no conversation, you started this thread to troll, well done.
You are very smart.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Abelard View Post
You are very smart.
I don’t know Mr. Purple Farmer so I can’t vouch for his IQ but I can say that there are many more members on here that share the same thoughts he had.

Now why don’t you go climb back under your bridge...
Old 11-16-2018, 08:43 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=235831

I’m no internet super sleuth but a quick search turned up this isnt the first thread that could be viewed as “anti-rememberance day” that the Troll has started.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:45 AM

Trolling in regards to Remembrance Day will get you suspended.

Closed.
Closed Thread