Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
And your beliefs will always be respected....
Cat
Old 02-03-2012, 09:16 AM

Since becoming a Mason it has never ceased to amaze me what the opinions are about the organization. Evidence of that is seen right here in this thread and after many years as a member I still haven't figured it out. Tell someone that you are a Mason and you get every diametrically opposed opinion imaginable. I can only guess that if you told someone that you were a member of the Kiwanis or Rotary you might a get a 'that's nice', end of discussion.

What I like to do when faced with negativity is ask the other person what they think of Shriners. Typically the answer is that they do great things for the community, especially children. I then ask them, 'did you know you have to be a Mason to become a Shriner'? 'Oh'

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 02-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
My attitude is that when you agree to live and act by certain principles that you should follow them. Ask one to be one has been a tenant of the craft forever and if a few selected people break with that tradition then all the worse for them and all they are hurting is their own lodge.

But on the other hand most of the guys I have heard come off with statements like " I was asked but I am too awsome to better myself so I declined" were not in fact asked at all and when pushed were maybe talked to by a drunk friend who had went to 1 meeting and was now showing off for whatever reason.

Besides the original question was are there any masons on the board. You sir are not a mason and have no masonic ties so why would you feel you had to post on this thread?
My dad is a mason grand master the whole
Deal. Never once has asked me to
Join and never answers my questions just says you will have to
Come to see for your self. I may never
Get the chacnce to go with him maybe a
Life long regret
Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Simply that some people were under the impression that the masons had a lot of members that thought of themselves as the elite of society,people that thought that they were better than the rest of society. Given that the masons that I knew personally were for the most part, down to earth people, and some very good friends of the family were shriners, I didn't give it much thought at the time.
Many of the worlds elite are masons.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Many of the worlds elite are masons.
But not BECAUSE they were masons...
Old 02-03-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecutter View Post
I was goign to say the same thing!
Thse people would likely have or are the same as if they were not masons, and not all masons were what we like to remember as fine people, either.
One such from the FBI really stands out for me.......
Cat
Old 02-03-2012, 10:39 AM

Gopher...

my dad was a mason, then a shriner. he answered my queries much as your father.

he "sort" of hinted that i may want to join & he said he would be proud to "sponsor" me.
but i was young and too "cool" to join a club... plus i thought the peter lorrie hats were not cool at all.

he passed away a few years ago , so i never got to be in the masons with him or learn what they were all about.

it's something i have always regretted, even tho i tease masons endlessly.

they're good folks in my eyes... they do a lot for their communities and don't make a big noise about it.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecutter View Post
Must be something in beer the though
Old 02-03-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhead View Post
Gopher...

my dad was a mason, then a shriner. he answered my queries much as your father.

he "sort" of hinted that i may want to join & he said he would be proud to "sponsor" me.
but i was young and too "cool" to join a club... plus i thought the peter lorrie hats were not cool at all.

he passed away a few years ago , so i never got to be in the masons with him or learn what they were all about.

it's something i have always regretted, even tho i tease masons endlessly.

they're good folks in my eyes... they do a lot for their communities and don't make a big noise about it.
Masons are not ALL bad, I mean, they even let YOU hang around with them sometimes!!

When I finally had "the talk" with my father, he told me who to contact in the town I was in - that man wasn't, but he did know a Mason or two.
When I asked my father how come he didn't mention this stuff before, he said
" Well, you weren't ready, and YOU didn't ask"!!
Cat
Old 02-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
oh sorry, K of C, not KFC
Not a problem. Your buddies from the KKK were booted off here over a year ago. They used to get confused with the KFC thing too.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
oh sorry, K of C, not KFC
I read that wrong too,,
I thought he signed off as JFKFC

and cult is just short for culture,, some cultures are nuts and arrogant and no more than a guise to give boost to their ego while admonishing society,, some like koolaid wrap-up parties and some like to dress up as knights and fight battles with swords made from toilet paper tubes, some cultures make great yogurt.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:45 AM

Anyone here a member of red deer #12 or kenilworth #29? If so, shoot me a pm, id be interested in talking to you and perhaps answer some of my questions. Thanx
Old 02-03-2012, 11:49 AM

Mostly what I heard of masons and with Nibiru coming, masons are digging like groundhogs (ie Denver airport). Aperrantly a tinfoil won't work with Nibiru you'll need a iron helmet to keep your brain form frying as Nibru is all mercury. Oh with a mass 5x bigger than earth and Nibiru orbit to pass between earth and the moon somtime this year WTSHTF masons will be glad they dug. Since I am not a mason I'll have to win the lotto max tonite and spend half on a hole in the ground!!

P.s. sorry guys nothing on the tv last night, I found myself on the weird side of YouTube!!

Nibiru is an interesting therory though!!
Old 02-03-2012, 01:05 PM

ive got to say ive always been interested in freemasonry but its hard to tell what you hear is fact and what is fiction, i do gather freemasons do a lot of charity work which is bery commendable but ive never known a mason well enough to look into it more.... maybe one day!
Old 02-03-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
Besides talk of politics and religion are expressly forbidden in Lodge.
Interesting,,not understanding the religious scenario found me not following through with pledge years ago. Grandfather was, but passed on before I was mature enough to discuss anything at all related.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Banned

a repost from another thread.

Originally Posted by catnthehat
The Masons donate over $1.5 million dollars each day to various charities, and none of it is openly advertised outside of the Masonic organization.
Cat

brother cat,,, you know the stairs to that chamber, well in that chamber is the box of good measure,,, sadly the box of good measure will be holding cat for the duration of the next meeting after which you will be required to sing the final libretto from gilbert and sullivans operetta "the hms pinafore". the lodge meeting (after the box of good measure meeting) we will expect you to bring two loaves of banana bread (and less walnuts this time as they are hell on my dentures) and a cadbury bar for brother lewis as you know his aversion to bananas even in a loafed cube form. have you knitted the mittens from your last punishment of devulging our secrets?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:40 PM

AF&AM of Edmonton No. 7
Old 02-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
I read that wrong too,,
I thought he signed off as JFKFC

and cult is just short for culture,, some cultures are nuts and arrogant and no more than a guise to give boost to their ego while admonishing society,, some like koolaid wrap-up parties and some like to dress up as knights and fight battles with swords made from toilet paper tubes, some cultures make great yogurt.
You forgot the part about the goat. I had to look after one for seven days.

And live snakes when you can find them.

Toilet paper fights?
Old 02-05-2012, 05:44 PM

As the son of a Northern Irish Catholic joining the Mason's was never something I contemplated. As this stage in history I don't believe the Mason's are any more of a cult than Rotary.

I have an interesting note about the Mason's though, they have an organization for young women called Daughters of Job. in Alberta they have a scholarship program which they have trouble finding young ladies for.

Here in Devon, an older guy who my daughter used to serve and chat with in the IGA approached her about her future plans last summer and said he might be able to help her. He invited her out to his house, I went with her and Erin had a phone interview with two women and she ended up being the recipient of a $3,000 scholarship from the Daughters of Job.

Apparently like many Service club type organizations they are having trouble finding younger members, Erin didn't have to join. He picked her because she was so friendly and helpful to him over the three years she had worked in the local grocery store.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1960 View Post
What I like to do when faced with negativity is ask the other person what they think of Shriners. Typically the answer is that they do great things for the community, especially children. I then ask them, 'did you know you have to be a Mason to become a Shriner'? 'Oh'
That's a good point...
Old 02-05-2012, 05:59 PM

My father was a K C for years in Quebec and never shared any of their "secrets" just like I will not share any of ours with my family until they join. Does keeping a secret make an organization, brotherhood or an individual evil? If so, we're all as such. We all have secrets because we want to keep some things private and other things public. That's all....
Old 02-05-2012, 07:33 PM

My father has been a Mason for many years. I think if I have the title correct he was Worshipful Master (sorry to all Masons if I have it wrong).

When I teasingly questioned him about the Worshipful (or whatever the term was), he said it didn't mean he was the one venerated - it meant that one was acknowledging their personal Creator (or equivalent).

My dear step-mother has been a member of the Order of the Eastern Star for many years as well.

From what I know of both organizations they value honesty, helping family, hard-work, and anonymous philanthropy - ideals that sum up my parents' characters to a T.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
My father has been a Mason for many years. I think if I have the title correct he was Worshipful Master (sorry to all Masons if I have it wrong).
The worshipful Master directs and rules the lodge for a year, and is elected by the lodge members.
Please say "hello" from myself and my son as members of Ft. McMurray Lodge 195 to him for me!
Cat
Old 02-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The worshipful Master directs and rules the lodge for a year, and is elected by the lodge members.
Please say "hello" from myself and my son as members of Ft. McMurray Lodge 195 to him for me!
Cat
looks like we need to fine you with the bucking of next years firewood for that,,, a-gain!

want me to put a pillow in the box of good measure???
Old 02-05-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
looks like we need to fine you with the bucking of next years firewood for that,,, a-gain!

want me to put a pillow in the box of good measure???
Nah, I'll just pull up a chunk of cordwood and settle in the night!
Cat
Old 02-05-2012, 10:43 PM

W.M. Whitecourt #153
For those who still beleive we are a group who rule the world, or influence world politics, I have belonged for 15 yrs and been to many annual general meetings.That is the meeting for all lodges in Alberta, and I guarantee you we could not organize a rock fight in a gravel pit, little lone rule the wold.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:55 PM

Interesting reading
http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/symbology/1o5.htm
Old 02-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris007can View Post
W.M. Whitecourt #153
For those who still beleive we are a group who rule the world, or influence world politics, I have belonged for 15 yrs and been to many annual general meetings.That is the meeting for all lodges in Alberta, and I guarantee you we could not organize a rock fight in a gravel pit, little lone rule the wold.
ok,,, i like that you don't want to rule the wold ,, my worry is the world.

what gets me is shriners never have any problem finding parking,,, that alone is enough to scare the beeejeekers out of me
Old 02-05-2012, 11:45 PM

This is quite an interesting thread, glad I finally decided to click on it and read through.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:42 AM

The big difference between the Freemasons & the Knights of Columbus is that the Freemasons are "dirty rotten protestants"!!!!! I have close friends in both organizations. Each does a whole pile of good for their neighbours and communities in general. From my perspective they are religiously based, with one organization comprised of Protestants, while the other Catholics. Each organization has members who have risen to very powerful positions in both government & business. The most successful have been those who have toiled anonymously to make their respective communities better places to live, expecting only personal satisfaction in a job well done.