Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-12-2016, 09:33 AM

Default Climbing stands

Hello all,

New to archery as of last year and I am looking in purchasing a climbing stand for this year as I generally hunt public land ( would not want to leave anything out).

After research, I am having a difficult time distinguishing major differences between brands and models. I understand that weight can be a big issues- but is a couple of pounds really that big of a deal in the whole scheme of things? The one i am leaning most towards is the Assualt hand climber combo

http://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.c...bo__ASHCC.aspx

Any of have any reviews?

What do you guys/gals prefer and why? Brands?

Cheers in advance.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:51 AM

Climbing stands are definitely the way to go when bow hunting in my opinion. They are easy to move if you figure out your in the wrong spot, and prevent things from going missing if left in the woods. Also, it prevents others from easily seeing where you might hunt as they can leave discrete sing behind when your done.

In terms of my preference in a climbing stand, I like ones with a sling style seat (not a hard rest) and ones with a safety bar around the seating portion of the stand. I like the sling style seat as I find it more comfortable than a solid seat when doing all day or long hours sits and generally warmer in colder conditions. As for the safety bar, I like it as it provides an extra piece of comfort when in the stand and I like it when climbing to rest against. I find I can typically climb a tree much quieter, quickly, and safely with a safety bar stand than one without.

As for weight, it plays a bigger role than you may originally think. Especially if you are long hauling it into your hunting area on a regular basis. A few pounds extra can make a lot of difference when your already trying to carry a bow, gear, and anything else you may be packing with you.

The most important thing when choosing a climbing stand though is both comfort and how quite they are. A noisy stand can spell big issues, especially when your trying to sneak in or out of somewhere in the dark. Also, remember your going to be backing it in and out all the time so something with a narrower frame on your back with make walking through the woods quietly easier (you won't have it getting caught on branches or banging into things).

I use a Summit Viper, but that is just my preference. I have never used a lone wolf before, but my Uncle loves his and wouldn't exchange it for anything else.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:40 AM

Keep in mind that a climbing stand cant be used anywhere...here near Wainwright you would be hard pressed to find a tree for a climbing stand ...let alone a portable anymore...years of severe drought, caterpillars, fire, etc took its toll on mature trees.

Ladder stands work well here, but a little more work...and will work most everywhere stands are used...just a thought if you cant afford a lot of stands...plus you can get two ladder stands for price of one climber..

Not knocking climbers they absolutely have their place ...I own several myself

Neil
Old 04-12-2016, 08:45 PM

I have a Lone Wolf Assault climber and my wife just got me a Hawk Warbird LT for Christmas. I haven't actually used the Warbird yet, so I can't really comment on how good or bad it is. But it does seem like it's a nice tree stand. Looks super comfortable and doesn't way a ton.
I have been on many hunts with my Lone Wolf tree stand. I will say that it's not the most comfortable tree stand out there with the solid seat as mentioned above. One good thing is that you don't have to worry about falling asleep! But this year I spent 6 hours in it before I shot my buck and let's just say there were a few times that I contemplated getting down and walking around because I wasn't very comfortable. But the fact that it's a bit of a production to get up and down the tree, I refrained. I think that with this tree stand it's definitely harder to climb a tree than with the Warbird because it doesn't have that safety bar to sit on. But the plus side to it is that it's very well built. It's nice to carry because the seat and base fit together very well and don't move around. Which is more than I can say for the Warbird. I would tend to think that the Lone Wolf might be easier to bow hunt out of, and perhaps the Warbird for rifle... we'll see.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:42 AM

I have a Summit viper. Its super comfortable and find it to be really stable in the tree, all important things. I use mine to bowhunt elk, moose , deer.

They can be effective, But can be a massive PAIN IN THE BUTT. noisy ( for some reason deer don't really care about the sounds) cumbersome , difficult if you are using a pack. Trees can be hard to find that are suitable without hacking off a ton of limbs.

All in all they are a useful item to have and use especially if you need or want to call a audible on stands in season.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:49 AM

Default Climbing stands

I miss my old loggy bayou because it was comfy and quiet but a couple seasons ago I ordered an "X" stand. Very light for hiking in and that's what we do with climbers so I guess it makes sense to have a light one. If you don't have far to hike and can make a couple of trips then weight doesn't matter too much.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:22 PM

I have the assault hand climber and think if you're hiking in more than 1/2 mile it is the way to go. As others have said the pluses are that it s light, quiet to carry and use and packs up pretty compact for traveling.

It isn't the most comfortable but I have sat in it for around six hours at a time before I couldn't take it anymore. lol You can improve on this by purchasing the foot rests (I haven't installed mine yet) and if you search archery talk I think guys have made theirs more comfortable and lighter by using a seat made up of mesh. I haven't tried that either as at the end of last season I bought the upgraded seat.

This wouldn't be a good climber for rifle hunting as there is no rest for your gun but for bow hunting, especially if you have to hike in a ways on crown land it is one of the best.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 04-13-2016, 05:04 PM

I have the warbird, I'm 6'4" 260... I climbed an 8" tree, no issues. Very easy to climb with. I carry bow, backpack camera gear and the stand. 22lbs to carry, not the lightest but had a Lone Wolf and it was a bit harder to climb with. Harvested my mule deer with it this year. Will never go back to any other stand. Just to easy to set up on travel routes. Seat is two straps, seriously, how comfortable can it really be. I found sit stand, sit stand.

Great way to hunt. Can't convince enough people to go this route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneOutdoors View Post
I have the warbird, I'm 6'4" 260... I climbed an 8" tree, no issues. Very easy to climb with. I carry bow, backpack camera gear and the stand. 22lbs to carry, not the lightest but had a Lone Wolf and it was a bit harder to climb with. Harvested my mule deer with it this year. Will never go back to any other stand. Just to easy to set up on travel routes. Seat is two straps, seriously, how comfortable can it really be. I found sit stand, sit stand.

Great way to hunt. Can't convince enough people to go this route.

So you do like the seat? Or does more of a net seat work better
Old 04-14-2016, 12:24 PM

I think the seat is fine. I take a pad and sit with it, and or use my jacket for comfort. I don't think a seat makes it breaks a day in the woods. Limited movement, scan areas before standing. I've never shot my bow sitting down in the stand, has a climbing rail so you need to be standing anyways.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:54 PM

I sit all day in November so comfort is very important to me