Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Banned

Default The needy

OK, heres another stupid post ,
Its all very well and to say , give the wild meat to the needy when culling or from Govt programs such as subsistance Licences.
BUT, one thing a lot of us are missing, is the fact that a lot of the drop in centres , food banks , and the needy starving poor soul that live in shacks is this .
They will NOT accept wild game because its not inspected , also some of thease people will not even taste a bit of Bambi , ohhhhh no , never will they do that , even when starving ,lots of anti hunters in the poor community too .
They want BEEF , inspected BEEF , to them wild game is garbage , not a treat like we hunters think.
When Govt says they give culled meat to the needy , maybe , but in most cases its given to the zoo for the lions and other meat eaters , the same place where road kills go.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:01 PM

I really do not think its the needy not willing to eat wild game, but the organization that would be handing it out. It's because of a animal being dieseased and people getting sick from it then all s__ breaks out and lawsuits and all. Its call covering your A__. Sad but true.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
OK, heres another stupid post ,

............................x2
Old 12-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Sharpedge

Default Wild meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
I really do not think its the needy not willing to eat wild game, but the organization that would be handing it out. It's because of a animal being dieseased and people getting sick from it then all s__ breaks out and lawsuits and all. Its call covering your A__. Sad but true.
Honda450

That's about as good a description of a dose of bad guts from bad meat that I've read in a long time. FOTFLMAO

Sharpedge
Old 12-15-2007, 05:30 PM

Don't know what you trying to put down sharpedge? And don't understand all those letters either.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:54 PM

I am gonna take a guess
Flat On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off.......??
Old 12-15-2007, 07:28 PM

Default some facts

Some points and FACTS.
Well first off, if you are commenting on my post about using the meat then I meant giving the meat to the individuals that come into a SRD office and want a tag to feed themselves. I would assume that the individual would eat wild meat if they want a tag to kill a deer/elk/moose.
Second point, all meat that goes into these programs is inspected in the field and then is tested. Probably more than most wild game animals.
Third point is that all the meat that is donated to the hunters who care program does go to families that want the meat as does the majority of the meat from the culls. I personnally have handed out bags of meat from the last cull in 234. It does not go to zoos.
Also most road kills are just pulled off the road and left on site now.

I will agree that I have been in contact with several food banks/churches over donating meat and have heard that the families they look after do not like wild meat. To those groups I will not support. I am sorry but my family only eats wild meat and if that is not good enough for a needy family then they do not need my help.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Poached Meat

Say someone gets caught with a freezer full of wild meat or fish that has been poached. Where does that stuff go?
Old 12-15-2007, 08:02 PM

Any ideas why the hunters who care program hasn't moved further south in the province yet?
Old 12-15-2007, 08:03 PM

Bigbuck could almost gaurentee you it don't go to a food bank or soup kitchen.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:38 PM

Default Subsistence

Quote:
Its all very well and to say , give the wild meat to the needy when culling or from Govt programs such as subsistance Licences
If the animal was taken on a subsistence license, the needy already have the animal. Hey Bud......only needy people get subsistence tags.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Banned

Default Sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
If the animal was taken on a subsistence license, the needy already have the animal. Hey Bud......only needy people get subsistence tags.
SIGH , here we go again , I KNOW only needy get that license , what l was referring to was the Govt culling program where they SAY they give the meat to the needy , MAYBE they just tell us that , and then it goes to the zoo.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Sharpedge

Default I put down nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Don't know what you trying to put down sharpedge? And don't understand all those letters either.
Dear honda450,

I never intend to put down anybody; least of all anyone on this forum. It's just that I found your disguised wording to be quite funny. If you have lost your sense of humour that's fine. I'll try to retain mine. After all: Isn't laughter supposed to be the best medicine?

And I thank Cam-hunter for his kind and accurate interpretation of the "letters" for you too. Sorry.

Sincerely,

Sharpedge
Old 12-15-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck$ View Post
Say someone gets caught with a freezer full of wild meat or fish that has been poached. Where does that stuff go?
That meat will go into a freezer for evidence until the said party goes to trial and by that time the meat is no longer good or thrown out. I have been told that from a fish and wildlife officer directly!!!!
Old 12-16-2007, 11:48 AM

I think the intent of this is so that people who already harvest meat to feed their familys will not be poaching anymore when it is off season.

Through the typicle Goverment try to make it look like were doing something downtown for the needy added the extra bit about food for the poor.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:30 PM

BUD, tough to win, eh?

Guys, if you stop taking grudges from other threads to toss in a guys face, ya might get a decent read. If the guy is constantly on the defensive, of course you are going to get non-productive posts. Sheeze.

BUD I'll agree with ya. DEPENDING on the area, road kills will go to zoos. Saves them money, and some day, with a couple of Buds (beers, don't get excited ), I have a great Tiger vs. road kill story............

There's lots of people out there that would love the meat. Call some of your local charities to find out. This year, with a freezer full of elk, our family didn't 'need' the buck I arrowed in the end of November. Since this particular deer was quite special to me (first archery buck), my wife and I decided to do something special with it. We made a few calls and eventually (45 minutes) were referred to a family that needed it. Pretty easy.

Tree
Old 12-17-2007, 04:54 PM

I feel this new law to allow subsistence hunters to hunt year round out of season is reckless. During hunting season i am aware that the woods will be full of hunters. If I enjoy cross county ski I can choose not to ski during the hunting season or I wear a blaze orange toque.

Don't seem right to allow big game hunting out of season for safety reasons when many other people may choose to do other sports like snow shoeing, cross country skiing and hiking in wooded areas.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:23 PM

Heres something to ponder...........just for the heck of it I did a search on percentage of people in AB that live at or below the poverty line. It came up as being 10.5% in 2004. I then did a search on population of AB. It came up as 3413464 people in 2006. So if you take 10.5% x 3413464 = 358,413 peoples that could potentially benifit from this " new " plan and hunt year round. I would think there would be more fuss made of this. The IMHA was supposedly going to give 30000 people this right. 30000 vs 358,413..............good thinking by our gov't. Teds the man.