Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-10-2009, 11:33 PM

Default ever heard of a 458x2?

I'm a sucker for the odd and unusual, especially when it involves big bores. Today, at the Calgary show, I found a .458x2" that I had never heard of before. I wont confess how much I had to shell out for it, but it did come with the loading dies and case forming dies, the rings and bases and a promise that the brass he left behind would be mailed out. It is based on a remington 600 action, making it all of about 61/2 lbs. without a scope. (I think this one's gonna hurt!)
Has anyone out there had any experience with this calibre, or any advice for loads. I'll do the usual internet research but would like any information that could be offered.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:02 AM

I know that the 458X2" American was designed by Frank Barnes as an all all around North American big game cartridge for places like Alaska.
I first saw it in cartridges of the World, so you can likely find data there, and for sure the Barnes manual.
I danged near bought one a few years back for an old fella in Edmonton(I think) ,it was in the firearms trader , but by the time I decided to, it ws gone!
Wonder if it was the same one?
Cat
Old 04-11-2009, 06:22 AM
Banned

It is essentially a belted .45-70 and, as such, with appropriate loads, is a fine Grizzly defence tool. The recoil with a piece that light will be substantial and you might want to load lighter practice ammo to begin with.

I would look at H-322, H-4198 and maybe H-335 for powders and you can make brass from .300 Win., .338Win. and any of the other cases based on the original H&H design, the Win. Mags are easiest due to a lack of body taper.

I have a .458WM, in an older Browning Safari LE and it weighs about 10 lbs+, scoped; the recoil with full ,house 400 grs. is NOT bad and although some genius put a pos muzzle brake on it, I am having it customized with a 4+1 mag, Micky stock, Recknagel irons and Lapour 3-pos. safety or maybe a Satterlee.

There IS a place in North American hunting for these big boomers and the north BC coast is it; my buddy is nuts to get a big Grizzly with his Martini 9.3x64 and I will back him with this .458WM....if, I ever get the project finished......