Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-02-2020, 08:34 AM

Default Rattling tips

Found a pair of sheds yesterday and was thinking about giving rattling a try

My thinking is, the temperature is dropping again this weekend, does should come into estrous, good time for rattling

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I dont claim to be infallible by any means
Old 11-02-2020, 08:40 AM

Default perfect time

I rattled in 3 young bucks last night. Once they came out I watched them spar for 10 minutes. Too bad that between the 3 of them would have only scored 170
Old 11-02-2020, 08:47 AM

I'm cool with that. This is my second season and hopefully my first successful one. Any spiker that gets in my scope, I'm having a crack at him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattery1 View Post
I rattled in 3 young bucks last night. Once they came out I watched them spar for 10 minutes. Too bad that between the 3 of them would have only scored 170

Last edited by MaxxiD; 11-02-2020 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Quoted myself
Old 11-02-2020, 08:57 AM

Let the spiker grow up and wait for a bigger one there will be a bigger one around especially if the temp starts to drop
Old 11-02-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Let the spiker grow up and wait for a bigger one there will be a bigger one around especially if the temp starts to drop
Not how I wanted this post to go haha, but all good, I'll see what I can do 👍
Old 11-02-2020, 09:09 AM

Rattle every 15mins or so, dont over do it, sit and wait, you will be rewarded
Old 11-02-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
Rattle every 15mins or so, dont over do it, sit and wait, you will be rewarded
Awesome. Thank you so much for the advice. I will do exactly that
Old 11-02-2020, 09:29 AM

Good advice,short 5 min sets. Try to be realistic, add in breaking sticks and rustling leaves. Don't fall into a rhythm, keep it sporatic. Sit for 20 min and watch. Repeat rattling.
in my mind a trophy is not graded by the size of its rack. But by the experience and journey it took to harvest. Rattling in your first legal buck is every bit as much a trophy even if it's a fork horn if your focus is to harvest A buck. There will be years ahead to get a big one. Focus on what will make it memorable for you. All the best filling your tag
Old 11-02-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Good advice, 15 min sets. Try to be realistic, add in breaking sticks and rustling leaves. Don't fall into a rhythm, keep it sporatic. Sit for 30 min and watch.
in my mind a trophy is not graded by the size of its rack. But by the experience and journey it took to harvest. Rattling in your first legal buck is every bit as much a trophy even if it's a fork horn if your focus is to harvest A buck. There will be years ahead to get a big one. Focus on what will make it memorable for you. All the best filling your tag
Thanks, I really appreciate the advice, mantra and well wishes. Best of luck to you also
Old 11-02-2020, 09:35 AM

Make sure you keep you gun handy, they can pop out quietly and might not give you much time if they spot you.

Also they may try to wind you, so pick your setup wisely.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:40 AM

In anyone's experience, will bucks rattle into an open Field or cut block or do you need to do it in the trees?
Old 11-02-2020, 09:45 AM

alot of great advice there, I was in the same boat as you last year, I rattled in my first buck ever, he tried to wind me but could not help himself when I grunted at him and he poped out at 19 yards. The rut is truly a magical time and if you are successful you will remember it forever!
Old 11-02-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindoutside View Post
In anyone's experience, will bucks rattle into an open Field or cut block or do you need to do it in the trees?
I would park my rear end against a tree at the farthest end of the field with the wind in my favor.

What i mean is, if its a west wind, id sit about 100 yds from the east end of the field, on the north or south side, depending on where the most probable feed was. That way, you have the advantage of wind for that whole field.

Short 5 min rattle sessions with about15- 20 minutes between sessions. Start early and keep it up until sunset. Be patient.

Id be out there at 2 pm and plan on sitting until its over.

If you are in your spot before sunset, better yet but its a long day without having to peel down to relieve yourself

Last edited by huntinstuff; 11-02-2020 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:59 AM

Great advice from everyone. I'm super excited to try this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes
Old 11-02-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxiD View Post
Great advice from everyone. I'm super excited to try this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes
Yes. Good luck. Let us know!
Old 11-02-2020, 10:31 AM

Default Not just rattling

I always like to include some buck and doe grunts before, during and after the rattling sequences, grunt tubes work well but be conservative in their use.

I have used scent pads as well and they definitely do work, hang a few in the branches nearby. Be aware of the wind direction.

If you are setting up in bush make sure you have a few shooting lanes...slash them in (I use a machete) as a shot in or thru dense underbrush is difficult. Often a deer will try to wind you and will circle you crossing these lanes.

I find rattling is less effective in strong winds, the sound does not carry well. I would set in one spot for 2 hrs max, if they don't come in by then they won't be coming. I'll usually plan for 2 locations a few miles apart

Since you'll be sitting, make sure you have something to break up your outline, a blind is best but tough to relocate. One of my favorite spots has a bunch of willows (slashed from the shooting lanes) woven into a barbed wire fence...super effective.

I've found deer will break cover if motivated...the first deer I rattled in (about 30 yrs ago) walked about 40 yds into a field following a draw, he was literally standing in the wide open when I shot him.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:46 AM

Rattling works best if you do it near rub and scrape lines. Rattling in random locations is not near as effective
Old 11-02-2020, 12:49 PM

Cut off the brow tines. Your knuckles will thank you.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:24 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
hard yes on that one.....I got a little fella this morning all worked up....I get into my area and let it settle for 30 minutes or so....I like to give soft grunts first and wait...10-20 minutes I will take one antler and rub the brush and the ground as if a deer was working some brush with his antlers and pawing at the ground...a few grunt..wait...10 ish minutes and then get into the rattling....light for a 30 sec's....wait....grunt a bit.....rub brush/ground...wait and then rattle but a little more aggressive...I also through in a few buck wheezes...hard inhale through your nose....also got a doe bleat that I will randomly use too...I just go with the feel....I accidently dropped my antlers once getting settled in....150 inch whitey busted in right to the 10 yard mark...never even had the chance to cock the hammer on the Hawkins.....busted.....ohhh just have fun its all part of the journey....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-02-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
I use mule deer or blacktail antlers they are way more comfortable and I don’t bang up my knuckles at all. My present set of rattling antlers is a small 4pt mule deer antler combined with a 3pt blacktail antler
Old 11-02-2020, 05:03 PM

Screw the size of the horns. You rattle one in, pop it. Someone said it is about the memories That's the truth. Everyone on this forum has shot spikers if they have hunted long enough. If they say they haven't then they are pizz poor hunters or pizz poor liars. Take your pick. LOL.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Screw the size of the horns. You rattle one in, pop it. Someone said it is about the memories That's the truth. Everyone on this forum has shot spikers if they have hunted long enough. If they say they haven't then they are pizz poor hunters or pizz poor liars. Take your pick. LOL.
Hey when I get hungry a spiker may go down not going to lie lol
Old 11-02-2020, 07:01 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I use mule deer or blacktail antlers they are way more comfortable and I don’t bang up my knuckles at all. My present set of rattling antlers is a small 4pt mule deer antler combined with a 3pt blacktail antler
So a fella's girlfriend calls me and says I can have the antlers off a buck her boyfriend shot....I went over and she pointed to the shed so in I went and cut off the 140 class antlers off the buck that's hanging...throw them in a vice...cut off the brow tines...drill a hole in each antler and use some para cord he had laying around...held them in my hand...hmmm...used some of his electrical tape and army green duct tape...to wrap the antler base area up...she come in and says wow they look great...I thank her and said tell your ol'man thanks eh....two hours later I get a call....he was made as I cut off the antlers off the biggest buck to date he had ever shot and was going to get a European mount done...the intended antlers he offered were laying in the corner of the shed....oooops.....these are my only set of rattling antlers...30 years ago this took place....wonder if he is over it....heard they split up so entire later....

Rattling tips....ensure you know what antlers you can hack off or use for your new set of rattling antlers....might save a friendship or getting a black eye....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-02-2020, 09:23 PM

I have found rattling always works best in the start of the rut which is the second week of nov-At least in the zones where i hunt.You will have alot of small bucks come in end of october.Remember rattling is meant to be two bucks engaging so make sure to pound the ground and trees all around you.Alot of bucks i have had come in stiff legged and head turned and others come in cautiously really following the wind so keep checking all directions.A grunt tube is good to use with a rattling sequence as well.Over time you will find out what works best for you.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
hard yes on that one.....I got a little fella this morning all worked up....I get into my area and let it settle for 30 minutes or so....I like to give soft grunts first and wait...10-20 minutes I will take one antler and rub the brush and the ground as if a deer was working some brush with his antlers and pawing at the ground...a few grunt..wait...10 ish minutes and then get into the rattling....light for a 30 sec's....wait....grunt a bit.....rub brush/ground...wait and then rattle but a little more aggressive...I also through in a few buck wheezes...hard inhale through your nose....also got a doe bleat that I will randomly use too...I just go with the feel....I accidently dropped my antlers once getting settled in....150 inch whitey busted in right to the 10 yard mark...never even had the chance to cock the hammer on the Hawkins.....busted.....ohhh just have fun its all part of the journey....
Cannot agree more with this!
Old 11-03-2020, 06:19 AM

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG_A0PNA...d=ltnjiyr6ixf6
Old 11-03-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Hey when I get hungry a spiker may go down not going to lie lol
Absolutely!
Old 11-03-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
alot of great advice there, I was in the same boat as you last year, I rattled in my first buck ever, he tried to wind me but could not help himself when I grunted at him and he poped out at 19 yards. The rut is truly a magical time and if you are successful you will remember it forever!
Last November I Put my back to a burn pile in a wheat field and rattled a 4x4 and a doe to 10 feet. Snuck up behind me. We were all very surprised.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
I always like to include some buck and doe grunts before, during and after the rattling sequences, grunt tubes work well but be conservative in their use.

I have used scent pads as well and they definitely do work, hang a few in the branches nearby. Be aware of the wind direction.

If you are setting up in bush make sure you have a few shooting lanes...slash them in (I use a machete) as a shot in or thru dense underbrush is difficult. Often a deer will try to wind you and will circle you crossing these lanes.

I find rattling is less effective in strong winds, the sound does not carry well. I would set in one spot for 2 hrs max, if they don't come in by then they won't be coming. I'll usually plan for 2 locations a few miles apart

Since you'll be sitting, make sure you have something to break up your outline, a blind is best but tough to relocate. One of my favorite spots has a bunch of willows (slashed from the shooting lanes) woven into a barbed wire fence...super effective.

I've found deer will break cover if motivated...the first deer I rattled in (about 30 yrs ago) walked about 40 yds into a field following a draw, he was literally standing in the wide open when I shot him.
Great advice here, exactly what I was looking for. Now to put it to work!
Old 11-03-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
Last November I Put my back to a burn pile in a wheat field and rattled a 4x4 and a doe to 10 feet. Snuck up behind me. We were all very surprised.
Yup! The strangest things can happen.

Old friend of mine was lying on a brush pile, hunting moose, and a cow moose came up behind him and started muzzling his legs. He lay verrrrrry still...

When she walked away, he figured that, since she let him get away unscathed, he would return the favor.