Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 08:44 AM

Default Protect the Bighorn

Hi guys,

I posted this in general discussion, but thought a few of my fellow fishermen would be interested as well. A friend of ours is helping petition the Alberta government to create and improve guidelines to protect the Bighorn backcountry from irresponsible industrial and recreational activity. If this is something you can get behind, please take a couple of minutes to sign this petition. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by sns2; 07-13-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:08 AM

I support responsible back country use. But i do not support protectionist ideals in closing or excluding back country use.
Will not sign this.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I support responsible back country use. But i do not support protectionist ideals in closing or excluding back country use.
Will not sign this.
X2. All about conservation but sure as hell not the plans Phillips has in place. Already ruined/ruining the castle.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:56 AM

Thanks for posting the link here.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Will not sign this.
X2!
Old 07-13-2017, 12:34 PM

This is important. I read and signed it.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:52 PM

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Will not sign this.
This ^

More Y2Y influenced garbage.

Look at the bottom of the website. Anyone who supports this organization does not have the best interests of outdoorsmen and true conservationists at heart.

Do some research on who these folks really are, and what they really want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (15.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 07-13-2017, 01:15 PM

From the web page..."The Bighorn also includes many sites that are important to different Indigenous nations because of their cultural, spiritual, and livelihood values"

Although I mostly fly-fish, I also hunt. This Y2Y off-chute, wants you to believe that they support hunting in these proposed protection areas, when in fact they want the hunting opportunities solely for indigenous people.

I don't have a problem with indigenous people hunting, just don't exclude everyone else in the province who pays taxes and wants the same opportunities.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
This ^

More Y2Y influenced garbage.

Look at the bottom of the website. Anyone who supports this organization does not have the best interests of outdoorsmen and true conservationists at heart.

Do some research on who these folks really are, and what they really want.
It's easier for some fools to jump on and sign than do any research.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
From the web page..."The Bighorn also includes many sites that are important to different Indigenous nations because of their cultural, spiritual, and livelihood values"

Although I mostly fly-fish, I also hunt. This Y2Y off-chute, wants you to believe that they support hunting in these proposed protection areas, when in fact they want the hunting opportunities solely for indigenous people.

I don't have a problem with indigenous people hunting, just don't exclude everyone else in the province who pays taxes and wants the same opportunities.
Not only that, they also want to reduce access as much as possible. Some people don't have quads or horses (like myself) but if you can't back-country camp, how is a person able to get to lakes to fish or a place to hunt that's 20km from the road without camping?

They get their start with a nice website like this, and then highlight some legitimate environmental concerns to get their toe in, and then next thing you know you have another Castle, Bob's Creek, Bow Valley(soon to come), etc.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:52 PM

Honestly I read this and I don't even know what they are trying to do....goal is not clear and there is no way in hell I am signing.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:23 PM

Any petitions posted on this forum should be approved by admin to stay on the safe side. It will only take a few minutes and a pm. After doing some research, the goals of this group are somewhat nebulous, however, it is clear from their Twitter account that they are opposed to the new shooting range in Leduc County. Be careful what you attach your name to boys.
Closed Thread