Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Now that you just ran down the POS Husky saws I guess someone forgot to tell you that Jonsered are also made by Husky. Many are just rebranded Huskies and some exclusive to Jonsered.
:
Because two companies are owned by the same outfit says nothing about the quality of one compared to another. Husqvarnas are made in America, while Jonsereds are still made in Sweden.
And there is a definite difference in quality as far as im concerned.
I definitely wont be crying lol.
Ive had two Husqvarnas in the last 6 yrs, after approx 10hrs on them both would leak all the bar oil out into the case, not a few drops, not a small amount. All of the bar oil left in the saw would be in the case. Called the local rep and he told me all chainsaws do that due to the auto oiler on the bars. This blew me away. So I looked into it and the Jonsered rep assured me this wouldnt happen. And it hasnt.....YET.
I personally know of 5 Husqvarnas purchased in the last year that leak bar oil like I described.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:47 AM

Stihl all the way, I would like to buy a new one but my old 290 wont die. Maybe I will give it to my neffew and get a new 291.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:13 AM

if your doing a lot of trash type cutting on fallen timber id consider a big box store el cheapo that will be 'disposed' of after.
embedded dirt in the bark from being drug behind a tractor shortens chain life dramatically.
if your bucking up timber that has been standing id go better.
then again i hate the work that chainsaws represent and if cant get the skidsteer grapples on it it probably doesnt need moving

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-31-2016, 10:01 AM

Default Saw

I bought a still ms 290 about 7 years ago and have never been disappointed. Little more jam than the 170 but it is a little bigger. Reliability is important to me. You can't cut if you can't start it

Food for thought
Gretz
Old 01-31-2016, 11:53 AM
Banned

Dolmar... Or Makita, they own the Dolmar name now and all Makita saws are rebranded Dolmars.

My Makita DCS-5121 blasts thru anything I throw at it... Just keep your chain sharp.

50cc / adj. carb / 18" bar / 13 lbs
Old 02-01-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
I too purchased the Stihl 170 for my wife a couple years ago and it starts without hesitation and runs very strong. It's been used it for quad trail clearing and fire wood bucking up spruce and birch. Have had zero issues with it what so ever. I've heard many a compliment on it as others have noticed how light, durable and easy starting it is.... wait a second... sounds like I own the company or sell them ...NOT! Just know it's a great saw!

She's cut through some damn tough jungle with it...even trees bigger than she or the saw should have been asked to attempt.

Account for some new chains as they can make a HUGE difference! There's nothing like a sharp chain ... or so she tells me!
Here's a picture of me with my quad and the load of wood my wife went and got for us with the little Stihl seen in the picture! Damn she's a good woman![IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-01-2016, 08:31 PM

Just buy a Husky 550XP put a 20" bar on it and you will be a very happy camper for years to come
Old 02-21-2016, 09:39 PM

husky! never let me down
Old 02-21-2016, 09:55 PM

A few buddies and I all run stihl ms290s, not one of them has let us down in years. Awesome saws. I can't compare them to the other brands recommended in this thread, as I've not owned anything but stihl and poulan (lol), but thrilled none the less.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:10 PM

I just recently bought an older Stihl 032AV from a member here .
Great price .
Starts well , lots of power and a 20" bar .
It's all I will ever need in a saw !
Cat
Old 02-21-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalhunter View Post
Haha, husky guy myself, but I'll put up with harder starts for something with actual cutting power.

272XP 36" bar
x 2 , love my Husky . Think its a 475 ?
Old 02-22-2016, 07:05 AM

i have a husky and a stihl , huskys easier to start but the stihl is by far a better saw , and the husky leaks all the bar oil out when its not running which is really annoying.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:33 AM

Default Chainsaws!

Just to throw it out there...

I have a tiny little "crappy" Poulan from Princess Auto. Think I paid $75 new. It's been running strong for 4 years, I use it for everything from felling trees for firewood to running a "freehand" chainsaw mill. Has never failed me, starts reliably, and doesn't leak.

Hell, it even runs well on cheap gas.

Edit: Older photo, taken by a buddy before distracted driving days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wood.jpg (64.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 02-22-2016, 09:41 AM

I run two old husky 61's. One was 300 year husky jubilee saw in 1985. Both still going strong after 3 log cabins, ran sawmill, hunted for 30 years and ran wood business. I would never consider another saw.