Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 01:21 PM

Default Got a $690 ticket today!

I’m so pssed I have no words! Was driving to work this morning on a Henday, in a right lane, doing under 110 km/hr... Was following a big rig about 100 meters behind, minding my own business.... then the big rig decided to get into the next left lane and I saw a police vehicle with the lights on on a shoulder of the road on my right. I tried to change the lane, tried to get into the lane on my left but the traffic was too heavy and nobody would let me in, so I tried slowing down before passing the cops.... too late! Cop went after me and pulled me over for passing an emergency vehicle with the lights on.... I was supposed to slow down to 60km/hr but I didn’t have time and slowed down to 99...
After explaining this to the officer, that my view was obstructed by a semi and other drivers wouldn’t let me change the lane, he still gives me a ticket. I was pssed and drove away without even looking at it. Later I did and I couldn’t believe my eyes! $690!!!! WTF!!!
I’m going to fight this ticket in court. BUT... There is no court date written on my ticket!
Had anybody experienced this kind of a situation before and do you have any tips on how to fight that?
Old 07-07-2019, 01:23 PM

What was preventing you from applying your brakes and slowing down to 60?
Old 07-07-2019, 01:25 PM

Why not just slow down to 60, even if the other drivers wouldn't let you in ??

Ever stood on the side of the road while having a car passing you at 99kmh just feet away??

I'd guess no.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:29 PM

Its a tough crowd here today, No Symphathy LOL,
Thats a BIG Ticket
Old 07-07-2019, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post

Ever stood on the side of the road while having a car passing you at 99kmh just feet away??

I'd guess no.
And get plowed into from the rear by the next guy behind you and possibly take out the officer standing on the shoulder of the road.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:32 PM

They should give way more guys the same ticket, you were obviously far too close to the semi if you couldn't see around him and there is no way I believe you didn't have time to slow down to 60. That an there is no place on the Henday that has a 110 speed limit.

They should also give tickets to the idiots that slow to 60 in the second lane over because they don't know the law. Fighting it is your right but I doubt you are going to win.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:35 PM

Try $780. Failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk.
I never even saw him. Had to hit the binders in the middle of an intersection and risk being T-boned. My A-pillar perfectly blocked him from view as i pulled out from the stop sign. Cops right behind me. Didn't fight it, because it happenened. But there was really nothing I could do. I couldn't see him. The timing kept him in a blind spot behind my A-pillar. It was circumstantial

Last edited by bloopbloob; 07-07-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I’m so pssed I have no words! Was driving to work this morning on a Henday, in a right lane, doing under 110 km/hr... Was following a big rig about 100 meters behind, minding my own business.... then the big rig decided to get into the next left lane and I saw a police vehicle with the lights on on a shoulder of the road on my right. I tried to change the lane, tried to get into the lane on my left but the traffic was too heavy and nobody would let me in, so I tried slowing down before passing the cops.... too late! Cop went after me and pulled me over for passing an emergency vehicle with the lights on.... I was supposed to slow down to 60km/hr but I didn’t have time and slowed down to 99...
After explaining this to the officer, that my view was obstructed by a semi and other drivers wouldn’t let me change the lane, he still gives me a ticket. I was pssed and drove away without even looking at it. Later I did and I couldn’t believe my eyes! $690!!!! WTF!!!
I’m going to fight this ticket in court. BUT... There is no court date written on my ticket!
Had anybody experienced this kind of a situation before and do you have any tips on how to fight that?
Was it a yellow copy of the Province of Alberta Violation Ticket, part 3 offence notice? if it was, the court date should be about half way down. Or, if it was a City of Edmonton Violation Ticket, then I can't help you there. If it turns out that there is no court date listed, I can't see how it would go through the system.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:40 PM

"I didn't have time and slowed down to 99"

So you slowed down to the speed limit...

$690 is rough but it doesn't sound like you tried very hard to slow down. Good luck fighting that one, maybe have a chance if you had slowed down to 79 or something like that.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:48 PM

I've seen lots of people passing emerg vehicles on the QE2 and not slowing down, most have no idea or just don't care, hope it works out for you ... that's a big number.

D.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
And get plowed into from the rear by the next guy behind you and possibly take out the officer standing on the shoulder of the road.
Possibly and I've almost had that happen from deer running out in front of me on the hi way. Guys follow too close and won't pass. Put my vehicle halfway in the ditch one time to avoid getting rear ended on the hi way.The reality is its your responsibility to control your vehicle speed and distance from vehicle in front of you.

I was able to come to a complete stop following a police car on the hi way with a distance of 150 to 200m the other day . He braked suddenly pulled over and put lights on, pulled a u turn to catch a speeding car. I had room to stop, I payed attention to my rear view mirror and the guy behind me was paying attention too. The truck pulling the trailer behind him had some trouble stopping as quickly but had control. Happened a few days ago.

Try to fight it but I doubt you will win.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:56 PM

That sucks, but your day could have been worse.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:58 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

100meters behind a semi and you didn't see the cop car.....minding your own business means paying attention too....just saying.

On another note thanks for sharing.....just got back from a road trip, 3000 clicks all through Montana, banf and jasper etc and well I have to say people are crazy!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-07-2019, 01:59 PM
Banned

That sucks, I’m glad it wasn’t me.

Thanks for posting.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
What was preventing you from applying your brakes and slowing down to 60?
Time and the distance.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
Was it a yellow copy of the Province of Alberta Violation Ticket, part 3 offence notice? if it was, the court date should be about half way down. Or, if it was a City of Edmonton Violation Ticket, then I can't help you there. If it turns out that there is no court date listed, I can't see how it would go through the system.
Yes it is a yellow copy, but the court date portion of it isn’t filled out.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes it is a yellow copy, but the court date portion of it isn’t filled out.
That sounds like a ticket that a cop screwed up on. A long time ago I had a speeding ticket like that with no court date on it and I didn’t have to pay the ticket of lose any demerits. It pays to know a lawyer.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:21 PM

If there is no court date when does the ticket have to get paid before a warrant is issued ?
Old 07-07-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post

I'd guess no.
As I mentioned before, by the time I saw the cops from behind the semi and me trying to change the lane- it was too late. I didn’t want to hit the breaks hard to cause the vehicle skidding either. I guess I should’ve done that!
Old 07-07-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
If there is no court date when does the ticket have to get paid before a warrant is issued ?
That’s exactly the question that I have.... if I wait for a year and then show up at the court house after they send me a court document saying that I was convicted in my absence - do I fight it then or before?
Old 07-07-2019, 02:45 PM

sounds like a crappy day sorry for your luck , hopefully they reduce the ticket for you so it doesn't sting as bad
Old 07-07-2019, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
That’s exactly the question that I have.... if I wait for a year and then show up at the court house after they send me a court document saying that I was convicted in my absence - do I fight it then or before?
If there is no court date you can’t be convicted.

Keep the ticket filed in a safe place and don’t worry about paying it. You have the right to fight it whether or not you’re guilty, it’s the police officers obligation to give you a court date to plead your case.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I think the cop was giving you a scary warning contact the prosecutor for more information

http://clg.ab.ca/programs-services/d...raffic-ticket/

The prosecutor might just throw it out
Old 07-07-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

Keep the ticket filed in a safe place and don’t worry about paying it. You have the right to fight it whether or not you’re guilty, it’s the police officers obligation to give you a court date to plead your case.
How sure are you about that? It does sounds like a good reason but one can never know... What if they gonna come back to me with like “Well it is your responsibility to find out the date etc”?
Old 07-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

I agree. An incomplete ticket is his idea of a stern warning.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:47 PM

Not feeling too bad for ya, bud, sorry. 100m is too close at 110km/hr, and 110km/hr is over the limit. If you had stayed 5 seconds back like we're taught when we're 16, and had you been going the speed limit, you would have been much more able to slow aggressively to the 60km/hr. And if the guy behind you can't figure it out, it's his ticket.

Still if you want to fight the ticket I'd be interested in knowing how the officer knew your speed. Obviously 100kph is faster than 60kph, but so is 76kph, and that's a heck of a different ticket.

I'd lose my job if I got a ticket like that, and I don't even drive commercially, so I can be a more cautious than your average bear.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
As I mentioned before, by the time I saw the cops from behind the semi and me trying to change the lane- it was too late. I didn’t want to hit the breaks hard to cause the vehicle skidding either. I guess I should’ve done that!
At least if you got rear-ended it's the next guy's fault. The laws can be stupid on some of these things but that's the logic that they're written with. Gotta drive with that in mind. Never worry about slamming your brakes if you have a good reason to. I got a red light camera ticket (0.1s after the light) for the same reason, trying not to get rear-ended.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:53 PM

i broke the law , i got caught , i got a ticket . how can that be ??? doesnt everyone know i'm special ???

are you the same guy that was complaining about getting a ticket for parking in a fire lane last year ?
Old 07-07-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
i broke the law , i got caught , i got a ticket . how can that be ??? doesnt everyone know i'm special ???

are you the same guy that was complaining about getting a ticket for parking in a fire lane last year ?
Nope, wasn’t me. But thanks for the cheers!
Old 07-07-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
At least if you got rear-ended it's the next guy's fault. The laws can be stupid on some of these things but that's the logic that they're written with. Gotta drive with that in mind. Never worry about slamming your brakes if you have a good reason to. I got a red light camera ticket (0.1s after the light) for the same reason, trying not to get rear-ended.
Sorry pal but I would rather get a ticket than get rear ended at 100km/h! Are you nuts? I was driving my wife’s car, there were large trucks and suvs all over the road. I would be dead or badly injured.
Closed Thread