Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2019, 05:01 PM

Default Daughter stole my phone I think... again...

So I'm running on day 3 without my personal phone. Been using just my work phone now. It just hasn't shown up, like I'd hoped. I have a 4yr old daughter who has stolen my phone in the past once, I found it in a box of LEGO eventuaully. No luck this time. She swears she didn't take it this time. Kind of believe her. Should I call it quits on my plan and cancel my contract now? I'm grandfathered into a contract that doesn't exist anymore. Any new contract would cost a lot more.... currently at about $100/month. New prices are insane.
It was a Samsung S6. Work phone is a Samsung A5. I'm also eligible for a work phone upgrade. Iphone 7 or a Samsung A8 are free. Higher models I have to pay some of it.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 07-06-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:17 PM

Have you taken a metal detector to the back yard yet?
Old 07-06-2019, 05:21 PM

I know this info is coming late for that phone, but be sure to put in an app to locate your next phone, or your current one if you manage to find it again.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:29 PM

I lost mine yesterday while working out in the ‘back forty’ - fortunately my buddy came over and kept calling it until we heard it ring under a pile of brush I’d been throwing together.

We never had this problem when phones had rotary dials and were screwed to the wall like they’re supposed to be!
Old 07-06-2019, 07:38 PM

Why would you lose the contract? Hey a new phone, and get a new sim. Tell the provider you lost it. Why would you think your plan is tied to your phone?
Old 07-06-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
Why would you lose the contract? Hey a new phone, and get a new sim. Tell the provider you lost it. Why would you think your plan is tied to your phone?
Because i'm still on a plan they no longer offer. I've held off upgrading my phone for that reason. It's going to cost an extra 50ish dollars a month. I might just cancel. Still have my work cell. Just can't say or do anything fun on this one, as it's monitored. I'll add, it's always set to silent for work purposes, so super tough to track it down now. Probably dead battery as well.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 07-06-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:04 PM

I'm suddenly reminded of the things I'd find in my work boots when my son was a toddler.....
Old 07-06-2019, 08:27 PM

Just buy a good used phone and keep your deal. They will give you a new sim card. I bought a used s9+ for $400 over a year ago, best phone I have ever had. Check Facebook market place and for sale forums. There are deals to be found. I have a couple spares if you need 1 in the meantime. S7+, note 4, note 3, iPhone

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-06-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Because i'm still on a plan they no longer offer. I've held off upgrading my phone for that reason. It's going to cost an extra 50ish dollars a month. I might just cancel. Still have my work cell. Just can't say or do anything fun on this one, as it's monitored. I'll add, it's always set to silent for work purposes, so super tough to track it down now. Probably dead battery as well.
That doesn't sound right. I would suggest you looking into it. I was on the grandfathered plan for years, changed 3 phones. Unless you REALLY have to finance new phone, then yes, you are SOL. Otherwise buy an unlocked phone, get a new sim and move on. Yes, you are looking for several hundreds out of the pocket, but if you don't chase latest and greatest, Costco sells decent unlocked phones for few hundreds new. Amazon; straight from the manufacturer for non-mainstream phone brands; if you are in Edmonton, Omegacell sells unlocked phones.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:39 PM

A few weeks ago a package from Costco arrived in the mail addressed to my wife, she was expecting some Stampede tickets (that or Stampede bucks?) but this was not an envelope. Inside was a new Samsung Galaxy 10, she checked if she'd been billed for it and had not. It took some investigation by her but she managed to get a shipping label sent out where it was being sent to down to the Calgary Stampede office for someone there. This seemed odd as one would imagine they'd want their own shipping depot to re-inspect it prior to sending it on to anyone else. I think she spent about 2 or 3 hours getting it back to them when a lot of people would simply have kept the thing once they found they hadn't been billed for it. She didn't even break the Samsung sticker sealing the box. I might be off on the exact model, but online it came up as a $1300 phone.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:22 PM

Default Been There

Might be a stretch here since it's been 3 days already and the battery may have died but...

I cant remember aIl the specifics but if you have a Google account/Gmail and if your phone is paired with it you can locate your phone (if the phone location is activated), force it to ring for 5min at a time and see battery life remaining.

Just Google "locate my phone". It will either pull your phone automatically or you may have to do some initial verification setup.

This past Christmas, we suspect our 1 year old.. or maybe the 3 year old tossed my wife's phone into a garbage bag. Location wasn't activated but I was able to force it to ring and vibrate and we found it in a bag in the dumpster. Luckily the bag was up top.

I should add that you can use an app like Fing to see what devices are connected to your home WiFi. That assumes the phone is on and connected to the WiFi in the first place. At least you then know it is somewhere within your WiFi range.

Unfortunately 3 days have passed... good luck.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:22 AM

If the location is turned on in the menu, you should be able to locate it. 3 days might not be too long if it is just on standby. My phone new (not sure about now) would last a week on a fresh charge, if I didn't mess around with it too much.

Some of the basic phones are really inexpensive, and make a good spare. Picked a basic flip phone for about $80 when I had to send mine in for warranty.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 07-07-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Buy the new phone outright and just have your existing plan transfered to the new phone. They can only change the deal if you finance the phone on a monthly pay plan of some sort, as long as you are just moving from one to another that you own outright they can't change you existing plan.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:10 PM

The Earth is 510 million sq km

You have it narrowed down to about 4000 sq ft

You can find that phone my brother. You can do it. Its there, waiting.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Lmao
Old 07-07-2019, 02:00 PM

I feel your pain, I have a 2 and a 5 year old running around, lots of things go missing without any other explanation. On the flip side many things get found randomly that you haven’t seen in years, fun when they are things that are dangerous and you have company.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:16 PM

Have you flipped the cushions on your couch? It’s amazing where slippery phones can slide and hide.

BW
Old 07-07-2019, 02:42 PM

Feel your pain , got a 5 and 1 year olds , car keys ... Phone ... Remotes .... Wallet .... Lol
Old 07-07-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I feel your pain, I have a 2 and a 5 year old running around, lots of things go missing without any other explanation. On the flip side many things get found randomly that you haven’t seen in years, fun when they are things that are dangerous and you have company.
Lol, yeah recently found an old slice of pizza in the couch looking for keys.... kids.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:58 PM

$100/month that price is insane. Don't know who your plan is with but time for a new one.

Quote:
So I'm running on day 3 without my personal phone. Been using just my work phone now. It just hasn't shown up, like I'd hoped. I have a 4yr old daughter who has stolen my phone in the past once, I found it in a box of LEGO eventuaully. No luck this time. She swears she didn't take it this time. Kind of believe her. Should I call it quits on my plan and cancel my contract now? I'm grandfathered into a contract that doesn't exist anymore. Any new contract would cost a lot more.... currently at about $100/month. New prices are insane.
It was a Samsung S6. Work phone is a Samsung A5. I'm also eligible for a work phone upgrade. Iphone 7 or a Samsung A8 are free. Higher models I have to pay some of it.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

And it's always the last place you look. Go figure.

No if you can figure out where you'll be last, and put that first, you're ahead of the game! And when you figure out how to do that...Winning!

Pureblood!
Old 07-07-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
And it's always the last place you look. Go figure.

That's because only a moron would keep looking once they've found it
Old 07-07-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
That's because only a moron would keep looking once they've found it
That's a concept lost on many, though!

Pureblood!
Old 07-08-2019, 08:40 AM

I got a price from Virgin when I was at Costco. 2 year deal, locked in (I brought my own phone) for $60 a month unlimited North America calling and texting with 6 GIG of data. Pretty good deal
Old 07-08-2019, 09:38 AM

OMG No way to find out what's happening in the world. Might have to look where your walking instead of distracted walking using the monkey thumbs and looking down
Old 07-08-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Time Rut Outdoors View Post
$100/month that price is insane. Don't know who your plan is with but time for a new one.
That’s what I’m thinking. Can easily cut that by a third!

BW
Old 07-08-2019, 09:53 AM

Just picked up new phones for my wife and MIL at London Drugs. Koodo - unlimited Canada talk and text, 5 GB data, VM, call display - $65 a month, other is same but 2G of data at $55 a month. Added a new Samsung A8 at the same time, added $20 a month for 24 months. It was cheaper to do it on a TAB plan than to buy the pone outright ($240 on Tab, $499 to buy outright) and you can pay off the balance on the phone after 90 days. Got $150 back in London Drug Gift card on each phone.

You are still $15 a month cheaper than your current plan and you have a brand new phone.

Last edited by Dean2; 07-08-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:18 AM

I don't think the OP is worried about his payment plan. But to pay for something you can't use or have? Would be a concern for sure. If lost somewhere, hope he has it locked. I-Phone find my phone. Still haven't found it yet. 2 yrs. later
Old 07-08-2019, 10:24 AM

Someone told me to put app's on my phone I did and still waiting for the chicken wing app-e-tizer to show up.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:45 AM

you can always go into your dsl modem and see if its still connected to the wifi that way you know that the battery is still good and its close by then use the find my phone app