Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2013, 11:23 AM

Default Garage organization- does it EVER end???

Almost every wall is used, equipment against, bolt bin, shelves, cupboards, etc. I cleared up a little space today and put up a salvaged piece of slat board which I think will work well, but man it never ends!

You can't just throw it all out, stuff accumulates, you buy more, sell some, use it, but the walls are shrinking!
I have a seacan full of stuff, 2 mini barns and my shop is jammed.
Sure there are a few jerry cans that are empty, but can't just toss them, there is no gas station here. I have all the power tools; table saws, chop and cut off saws from building the house and garage that don't get much use, but they need to be stored somewhere. Lawn machines get 1 mini barn, seacan holds the big riding mower and JD with FEL, tires, etc.

Do you guys use floor to ceiling cupboards and a step to access it, or attic access, or???

Does anyone use high shelving in their garages? Is it handy or just another place for things to get lost and grow cobwebs?

And, I STILL can not find my big crescent wrench

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 08-29-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Garage organization- does it EVER end???
No.

Build a bigger garage.......?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:31 AM

I hear (from my wife ) that some people park cars in their garages. Don't see how that is possible.

I am completely out of wall space. The guy who built the place put a window in the garage; what a waste. That would be another 3 feet of shelving.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Banned

Sounds like my garage,the wife is always on me to get rid of stuff but what to get rid OF?The minute I get rid of something I need it the next day.And despite the messy look,I know exactly where to lay my hands on whatever it is I need.Must be a guy thing filing system.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:43 AM

Ken...if you ever get that figured out i have a shop at home that could use some love and attention..we built a mezzanine in it a few years ago...and all that did was free up some space in the shop to put more stuff i don't need into it...it is a never ending battle no matter what size of garage/shop a person has...so i have come to realize that "size" really doesn't matter after all.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 08-29-2013, 11:43 AM

I just did this, have to find some more hooks and it will help a lot, at least will keep clutter off my welding/workbench. 32 hooks used, thinking another 40 and I will be good.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-29-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I just did this, have to find some more hooks and it will help a lot, at least will keep clutter off my welding/workbench. 32 hooks used, thinking another 40 and I will be good.

That doesn't look like a garage - it looks more like a small town FLAPS store.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:23 PM

you need more seacans
Old 08-29-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
you need more seacans
lol 3 more!
2 high 2 wide 20' apart with a roof over! Use the forklift for accessing the top seacans, perfect!!!

Does anyone know where I can find more slat wall pegs? PA doesn't seem to have them in the catalog.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
That doesn't look like a garage - it looks more like a small town FLAPS store.
LMAO HAHA!! no doubt! my garage is packed too though always am looking for new ways of organization. sigh.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:49 PM

My garage is more of a shop, wife thought she can park in it, boy was she wrong, the garage to me is not a collecting room it's a working room, stop piling your Christmas decorations in it, I don't want it
Old 08-31-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:

If you call that cluttered, you're just a Newbie at the game. No pic but my pegboard covers about 24 ft. of the garage wall and you have to lift things to see whats there. Couple of garden sheds and am building a new shop so we can HOPEFULLY get vehicles inout of the weather.

Grizz
Old 08-31-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I see scads of unrealized storage space in your garage Ken. You need to mount wall cupboards in many spots, which would allow you to still pull a quad, etc tight to the wall beneath them. You could pick a couple of spots for full height shelving, and have some storage type wheeled workbenches that can hold stuff and be moved around as you please (think of those neat wheeled medical records racks that are like filing cabinets on train tracks) That slot wall is underutilized, most of the stuff stored there is infrequently used and could be more efficiently stored in a plastic tub or drawer with a label; slot wall to me is for frequently used tools and little parts bins.
I'm liking some of the garage storage options that have come around in recent years, like the Gladiator garage works stuff and similar at Lowes and other stores. I've also done ceiling storage where I suspended a sheet of plywood 8" from the ceiling hung by 6 pieces of 3/8" threaded rod; I'd put lineal stuff in it like baseboard moldings, tubing, etc. I hung a light from the bottom of it even; with your ceiling height in there you could make some rather spacious ones. Obviously weight is a consideration you'd account for, but for the sake of others I'll note not to get carried away with how much weight you suspend from the ceiling.
That's an old picture, thinking about 4 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
If you call that cluttered, you're just a Newbie at the game. No pic but my pegboard covers about 24 ft. of the garage wall and you have to lift things to see whats there. Couple of garden sheds and am building a new shop so we can HOPEFULLY get vehicles inout of the weather Grizz
I just put the slat wall up that day. I went to Rona to get more pegs, $3.00 each

The very nice lady at the till told me if I found it cheaper online they would match it, 10 seconds later on my phone I had them at .77c. Not bad.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 AM

The estate sales these old guys have are always so awesome.

I plan on serious downsizing before I get to the point where I can no longer handle all my stuff.

Really, how much stuff do you really need? There is a point where it becomes a big problem and a huge time waster.

Maybe a little downsizing is in order. Ask yourself - do I really need three of everything? That old car or truck that I was going to restore should go because it's already sat around for 15 0r 20 years. It will likely never get done, and besides that, you could probably buy a better one that somebody else has already fixed up.

I'd rather spend time fishing right now than worrying about lack of wall space for another cupboard or worrying about the organization of the bolt bins.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Banned

No.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Almost every wall is used, equipment against, bolt bin, shelves, cupboards, etc. I cleared up a little space today and put up a salvaged piece of slat board which I think will work well, but man it never ends!

You can't just throw it all out, stuff accumulates, you buy more, sell some, use it, but the walls are shrinking!
I have a seacan full of stuff, 2 mini barns and my shop is jammed.
Sure there are a few jerry cans that are empty, but can't just toss them, there is no gas station here. I have all the power tools; table saws, chop and cut off saws from building the house and garage that don't get much use, but they need to be stored somewhere. Lawn machines get 1 mini barn, seacan holds the big riding mower and JD with FEL, tires, etc.

Do you guys use floor to ceiling cupboards and a step to access it, or attic access, or???

Does anyone use high shelving in their garages? Is it handy or just another place for things to get lost and grow cobwebs?

And, I STILL can not find my big crescent wrench

Yes. it does end.
When you move to a place with no garage.
Course then its endless shed cleaning and sorting....
Old 10-15-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Yes. it does end.
When you move to a place with no garage.
Course then its endless shed cleaning and sorting....
God I hope the day never comes that I have to move and find a new home for all my sh... I mean stuff. I haven't done a binge cleaning on my shop in a year or two. This spring I managed to push the crap to the side enough to work on the boat, got that out and had to pull out all the goose decoys and blinds to get them ready. Maybe when the season is done and I put away all the goose hunting stuff I can clean the shop up a little bit...

Yeah right, who am I kidding, gonna need to pull out all the icefishing gear soon and start getting that ready...
Old 10-15-2013, 11:57 AM

I am just wondering Ken,after all this time, have you found that damned cresent wrench yet?
Old 10-15-2013, 12:52 PM

Default garage

Ken I would be happy with your set up !

I'm suffering bad, just moved from a place where I had built a 30' x 60' shop plus a garage to a place with a dbl. attached garage !!! I had to struggle through moments of shear panic yesterday while winterizing the RV and boat! None of my toys have ever seen snow !! OMG I am so not ready for winter !!!

If you need a crescent wrench let me know, I may need somewhere to store one until spring.

S
Old 10-15-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd7mmultra View Post
I am just wondering Ken,after all this time, have you found that damned cresent wrench yet?

Either I lent it to someone (very likely) or someone took it. I have bought a couple replacements, but none can replace the one that is gone, it was perfect.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:12 PM

ken the Mrs hid your cresent wrench.Mine will get up in the middle of the night and move my tools.I havent caught her at it yet.But that must be the answer.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Banned

your right ken. it never ends. you can't throw away tools, equipement or parts just cause you haven't used them in awhile and it just keeps piling up. christmas decorations alone take up one shelf in one storage shed but what can you do?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
....you can't throw away tools, equipement or parts just cause you haven't used them in awhile....
As soon as you throw it away, you'll need it tomorrow.

Don't ask me how I know.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:40 AM

My neighbor installed a pulley ceiling shelf, wow did that ever free up his space....sorry is this is a repeat site.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=garag...1BAu2DM:&vet=1

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:26 AM

I can't remember exactly how it goes, but my dad says something along the lines of "Most people use their garage to store stuff that's not valuable enough to keep in the house but to valuable to throw away, so they can keep their second most expensive possession outside".

Mine is reasonably clean, but I had a heart to heart with myself last month and started going though my garage again. If it's not a tool, and I haven't used it in several years, out it goes. Those old bricks, plumbing parts, sawhorses, scrap wood, etc. that's been sitting there for years likely isn't going to be used in the next several years. In all likelihood, if I need a plumbing part for example, I'm going to the store to spend $5 on a new part vs going out to the garage to sort through boxes for 30 minutes to see if I have one that will fit anyways.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:41 AM

Talking

Trochu- I agree to a point

The last time I used my mitre saw for anything other than bird houses was in 2006 when I built my garage. Same with the table saw, air nailer and coil nailer. So- framing hammer, level, square, etc are all stored away.

I had thought many times I should sell all the word working tools, I will never need them again!!

I just in the last couple weeks shingled the house and garage, and completely redid the deck.

Now I REALLY want them gone, but I know they will be put back in storage until the next time I need them. It is difficult to get rid of any tools for a guy lol

Old 07-09-2019, 11:42 AM

I hear ya Ken. I've got brand new woodworking tools still in the box, never even opened yet, and other stuff as well that was just 'too good of a deal to pass up on!'.....and some I got 15 or even 20 years ago! I've got a mortising jig for my drill press I've never used. A Milwaukee portable band saw that I tested once, brand new with extra blades, taking up space. 4 or 5 grinders (deWalt and Milwaukee)....I use two of them. I'm not even sure what all. All my tile tools I used when I built my house...sitting now. Tile cutter, wet saw....what a bunch of very useful and unused stuff! My dad's old impact from his tire shop. Still sitting. I've got two table saws, two miter saws, a bandsaw that hasn't been used in 15 years, planer, jointer....never mind all the air nailers (framing, 16 and 18g, staplers, coil roofing nailer)....if I ever build again I'm set! But will I? Probably not.....

Even my Miller 185 Mig is all nicely covered, under my stairs. Probably has less than 5 hours on it.

Tools are hard to get rid of, because someday you 'might' need them....

Maybe I should list some for sale...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone