Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-29-2012, 10:56 AM

Default Questions about cabins and the land they lie on.

Hey so I hope this is in the right category. I'm 22 and had back surgery on Monday from a accident a few years ago. My dad has been here helping me. I'm so thankful for him being here for me. He's retiring in the next few years. I want to get him a lil cabin so he can go enjoy nature for what it is, spend a month or two a year.

From what I understand. To build a cabin You need a trappers license and buy a line. Even if he has no desire to trap?. What would you suggest to go about this? Thanks

Old 03-29-2012, 02:42 PM

Sorry to put a damper on things, but if you want a little trapper's cabin, you pretty much are going to have to be trapper, which means taking the trapping course, getting a license, finding a trapline you can afford and trapping it! Traplines in Alberta can be very pricey so if all you want is a cabin, perhaps you can look for cabins or lots for sale near a lake or something like that.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 03-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Banned

Find yourself a farmer and/or deeded land, treed, beside a lake or river front and negotiate a lease and then do your thing. Wish you luck and i believe this is the way for you to go.....
Old 03-29-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
sorry to put a damper on things, but if you want a little trapper's cabin, you pretty much are going to have to be trapper, which means taking the trapping course, getting a license, finding a trapline you can afford and trapping it! Traplines in alberta can be very pricey so if all you want is a cabin, perhaps you can look for cabins or lots for sale near a lake or something like that.
x2 !!!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:18 PM

Default operation trapline

I had a retired friend buy a trap line last year and we repaired the out cabin on it last fall and started a new main cabin a couple of weeks ago, for exactly that reason a place to spend a couple months a year in the hills.
Now who do you see taking this away from him ?
There is a line with a couple of great log houses on it that is owned by 5 or 6 retired guys and they have had it for about 10 or 12 years now. That line has more tree stands and blinds then traps.
The fact is if you have the money you can pretty much do what you like is how I see it.
They do a bit of trapping but truly its only for fun and a way to get out.
I have spoken to a older fellow about his line and for a price its for sale to anyone with cash in hand....
In most cases a line sells for a lot less then most lake lots ... and a lot more private.
If in fact this isnt possible how is it happening right now on many lines???
sst
Old 03-29-2012, 09:51 PM

If anyone has a complaint about cabins being used inappropriately I recommend they call ASRD and register a complaint. It's their job to enforce the regulartions. Non-compliant citizens are not trappers so it isn't a trapper or ATA problem. There are any number or laws or regulations you can abuse if you want to, some with little chance of being caught, bit of a measure of a person I'd same.

At the same time I'm sympathetic to anyone who has such a passion for the outdoors that they risk tens of thousands of dollars on the gamble that it won't be taken away from them eventually. In this province there are not many opportunities to have a cabin in the woods and maybe that's not right either.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:29 PM

Default cabins

Brian, I know what your saying but truly who is going to police this?
As you know many of the lines in Alberta are not trapped to their full potential
and plane and simple there isn't anybody that can do much about it.
Like I said these lines "that I speak of" are being trapped, but on a casual or short time basis. Shoot a couple of wolves and catch a few martin to show the friends and kids.
So Unless there is a quota put on lines who's to say that people do or don't trap sufficiently enough to keep their line. Abuse of privileges is very tough to prove beyond a shadow of doubt in any type of operation including trapping. The ASRD's hands are tied with lack of personnel and reprisal for their actions. Times have changed, I would like to see how far anyone would get trying to take away a line from someone who paid say $70,000. The lawsuit would blow your mind... remember it must be proven beyond a shadow of doubt.
And NO I'm not painting all trappers with a common brush but what I see is shameful when I look back to the younger years I spent on a line with a fellow trying to earn a living to support his family.
Plain and simple Now a day "Money talks" like it or not.
So to the fellow who started this thread you bet you can get a cabin in the woods but it may take you some time to pay for it.
Good luck.
SST