Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2015, 08:32 AM

Default Does Canada still want Harper?

Excellent editorial article from today's Edmonton Sun. Read what each of the party leaders say. One is an obvious capable leader in tumultuous times.

Also, for those of you who aren't sure what riding you're in or who the candidate's are the elections Canada website can narrow it down for you.

OTTAWA - You could call any general election an historic one but this time it’s really true.

The 42nd general election campaign that Prime Minister Stephen Harper launched under sunshine Sunday morning from the steps of Rideau Hall will be the longest in modern history — voting day is 11 weeks away on October 19 — and the most expensive in history — the bill could be well over $750 million when all is said and done.

And it’s bound to produce an historic result.

The incumbent could win his fourth election, a feat matched only by Pierre Trudeau, William Lyon Mackenzie King, Wilfrid Laurier and John A. Macdonald.

The official opposition could move across the floor of the House of Commons and on to the government benches, where Thomas Mulcair would form the first NDP government in the country’s history.

Or Justin Trudeau could return to the home he grew up in at 24 Sussex Drive and be the first son of any prime minister to follow his dad into the country’s highest office.

But back to the incumbent, for the heart of this election begins with a ballot question about Harper.

Does the country want more of him? Or does it want a change? Every voter will first have to answer that question before any other considerations.

Harper is already the sixth longest-serving prime minister in our history and second only to the Old Man himself, Macdonald, among conservative-minded leaders.

If he is the victor on October 19, he will slip by Jean Chretien’s mark this spring to be fifth all time.

Canada — and the world — is a very different place from the one that saw Harper first assume office on a cold, winter morning back in early 2006.

The Bloc Quebecois, for example, has pretty much disappeared along with 50 years of sniping between Ottawa and Quebec City over the national unity file. Harper can take some credit for that.

On his watch, Canada and the rest of the world were plunged into the worst fiscal crisis since the Great Depression.

Harper tossed ideology overboard (much to the chagrin of some in his base) to do the right thing — run up a huge deficit to kickstart the economy — and Canada came out of recession faster than any G7 peer.

Now Canada faces new economic headwinds, caused mostly by a rapid drop in oil prices.

Harper and the other leaders will spend much of the campaign sparring over the right prescriptions, right now, for our ailing economy.

Meanwhile, there are many dangers in the world and Canadian forces are on the front lines, battling ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq, or providing training to Ukrainian forces who are resisting Russian aggression.

“This is an election about leadership on the big issues, the issues that affect us all: Our economy, and our nation’s security,” Harper told reporters gathered outside Rideau Hall. “It is an election about who will protect our economy, in a period of ongoing global instability, and secure Canada’s future prosperity. And it is an election about who is best-equipped to make the tough calls to keep our country safe.”

Harper was alone among the three leaders Monday to make foreign policy and national security a key pillar of his campaign and, though he did not mention his opponents by name, he took some veiled shots at them.

“Now is not the time for political correctness, inexperienced governance or an ideological unwillingness to act,” he said, a clear reference to the decision by both the NDP and Liberals to vote against the combat mission in Syria and Iraq and his government’s anti-terrorism measures.

“Now is the time to face those who threaten us with moral clarity, strength, and resolve,” Harper added.

The side of Harper’s campaign bus sells his campaign in just four words: “Safer Canada. Stronger Economy.”

That’s his ballot proposition and you’ll hear a lot about it in the next 11 weeks.

Mulcair started this election marathon from the very same spot that Jack Layton started the NDP engines in the 2011 campaign, on the banks of the Ottawa River, with the Parliament Buildings behind him.

“Harper has the worst job creation record of any prime minister since the Second World War,” Mulcair said as he listed a long litany of Harper’s perceived sins on everything from climate change to dealing with aboriginal issues.

Mulcair looked nervous and tentative. Perhaps polls showing him as the frontrunner right now explain that and his decision to refuse to take questions from reporters.

Trudeau, meanwhile was in Vancouver, happy, as he said, to be out of the Ottawa bubble.

“Canadians want change. Real change. And Stephen Harper’s plan has failed our country,” Trudeau told reporters before marching in that city’s Pride Parade. “This election is about people with bills to pay.”

His party begins this race in third place. The Liberals have lost seats and lost votes in every election since 2000.

Liberals believe they have a shot at government — and they do, even if it is a long shot — but Trudeau must, at the very least, reverse this decade of decline with some serious electoral gains.

And so we’re off. Be sure to pay attention because bad governments are elected by good citizens who don’t vote.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/08/0...ll-want-harper
Old 08-03-2015, 08:47 AM

yes
Old 08-03-2015, 08:51 AM

Not that we want Harper so much as there are no other viable choices. Trudeau has no experience and has well portrayed he's poor decision making skills and Mulclair well, he's just too extreme for me and a lot of others...
Old 08-03-2015, 09:05 AM

Oh goody.... 77 days to make up my mind.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Banned

Can't blame Harper for the oil crisis.
Business is supposed to create jobs, not Governments. Government created jobs don't create wealth and are only a drain on the taxpayer.

Angry Tom is just that ..Angry Tom, He has no clue how to run his own finances let alone how to run a country (I think he would foul his own pants if he actually won the election)

The nimwit promises "change"!.....Now where did i heard that before? .....Oh yea... Obama said that and how did that work out!!!
Old 08-03-2015, 09:21 AM

I will be voting for who is in my opinion one of the lesser of the 3 evils. So I will stick with the government I have now.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
Not that we want Harper so much as there are no other viable choices. Trudeau has no experience and has well portrayed he's poor decision making skills and Mulclair well, he's just too extreme for me and a lot of others...
x2 in the whole country these are the best 2 they could find to run for there parties. If thats the case most will prob stick with what they know which is Harper maybe a minority though.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:26 AM

harper kept us from troubled waters in 08
Old 08-03-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
harper kept us from troubled waters in 08
So that at least makes him yesterday's man.

One third for the Cons, one third for the Libs and one third for the ND's.

To answer OP's question - two thirds of Canadian's want to dump Harper.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Banned

Great choices. Politics at it's finest.

A fear monger. A complete dolt. A self entitled idiot.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Great choices. Politics at it's finest.

A fear monger. A complete dolt. A self entitled idiot.
I hope the protest votes don't go to the green party.

Many heads will explode, if we wake up on October 20 to Prime Minister May.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
I hope the protest votes don't go to the green party.

Many heads will explode, if we wake up on October 20 to Prime Minister May.
Wouldn't that be a hoot. I'm sure her head would explode as well.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:15 AM

Default Actually!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison View Post
Can't blame Harper for the oil crisis.
Business is supposed to create jobs, not Governments. Government created jobs don't create wealth and are only a drain on the taxpayer.

Angry Tom is just that ..Angry Tom, He has no clue how to run his own finances let alone how to run a country (I think he would foul his own pants if he actually won the election)

The nimwit promises "change"!.....Now where did i heard that before? .....Oh yea... Obama said that and how did that work out!!!
The Government does provide jobs and that’s through the Bank of Canada, you know the one - We own it! Its "WE" who own and its main goal was built during the great depression to provide 0% loans for infrastructure of roads, buildings and manufacturing for our resources. It is the fail safe for all Canadians as it is not a private bank.

Being defeated is optional!
Old 08-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
So that at least makes him yesterday's man.

One third for the Cons, one third for the Libs and one third for the ND's.

To answer OP's question - two thirds of Canadian's want to dump Harper.
More than that didn't want the NDP and yet there they are, stuck the bottom of our boot.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-03-2015, 10:18 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Wouldn't that be a hoot. I'm sure her head would explode as well.
Looks like it has a good start now.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:26 AM

why not
Old 08-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
More than that didn't want the NDP and yet there they are, stuck the bottom of our boot.
Same goes for the last federal election Red, the majority didn't want Harper but yet...
Old 08-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Gone Hunting

While Harper has his faults, I have a hard time believing anyone can honestly look at the three of them and without bias, say Tommy or that other moron would do a better job....
Old 08-03-2015, 10:54 AM

Does anyone have any doubt that if left in power long enough, Harper would manipulate the rules to eliminate any threat from opposition? IMO that would compromise our democracy. Those we elected to government, are afraid to challenge him ... they don't even have the decency to answer questions ... just spew the lines the PMO says they can. An insult to Canadians. Period. No surprise the electorate has decided to do the job for them.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:54 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Same goes for the last federal election Red, the majority didn't want Harper but yet...
It just shows that sometimes the system works fine.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
It just shows that sometimes the system works fine.
Unless the NDP accomplish a win under the same terms right?
Old 08-03-2015, 11:02 AM
Gone Hunting

All you folks talking about wanting CHANGE.

What is it exactly you want changed and how is either one of the wannabes going to execute this CHANGE?

Be specific. Like you want more debt, or a gun registry brought back, or ignore ISIS threat or a weaker economy, or poorer performance than we had in the depression in 2008. A substitute drama teacher for PM, or a guy who hasn't had a job in like forever.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:03 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Unless the NDP accomplish a win under the same terms right?
Ah the beginning of knowledge

Very good young Jedi, catching on you are.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Does anyone have any doubt that if left in power long enough, Harper would manipulate the rules to eliminate any threat from opposition? IMO that would compromise our democracy. Those we elected to government, are afraid to challenge him ... they don't even have the decency to answer questions ... just spew the lines the PMO says they can. An insult to Canadians. Period. No surprise the electorate has decided to do the job for them.
Your take on Canadian politics scares me....angers me....confuses me...depresses me....etc

You're like a political 12 step program.

Given the choices.....Harper is still the man to beat.

Harper for PM
Old 08-03-2015, 11:55 AM

Arrow The alternatives are frightening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suka View Post

Does Canada still want Harper? . . .

Sometimes change is good ... but in this case, it would be a disaster!

Mac
Old 08-03-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:

What is it exactly you want changed and how is either one of the wannabes going to execute this CHANGE?

Be specific. Like you want more debt, or a gun registry brought back, or ignore ISIS threat or a weaker economy, or poorer performance than we had in the depression in 2008. A substitute drama teacher for PM, or a guy who hasn't had a job in like forever.
This^
Old 08-03-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxor View Post
Your take on Canadian politics scares me....angers me....confuses me...depresses me....etc

You're like a political 12 step program.

Given the choices.....Harper is still the man to beat.

Harper for PM
And you puzzle me... why would you get angry or depressed over someone else's opinion? I find it ironic, that people who come off as defenders of democracy, get angered by someone who informs themselves over the issues that matter to them, and exercises their right to vote differently. Please explain without going off on a tangent.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
And you puzzle me... why would you get angry or depressed over someone else's opinion.? I find it ironic, that people who come off as defenders of democracy, get angered by someone who informs themselves over the issues that matter to them, and exercises their right to vote differently. Please explain without going off on a tangent.
Because after all the AB election threads.....I know what his stance is.
Kind of like I have an idea of your stance.

Its going to be 77days of opinions on here.

But maybe you're right.....sitting back and letting folks speak their mind is the best way to gather information.

DIS GUN B GUD
Old 08-03-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Exactly why I'm going to hold my nose and vote for the Conservatives, best of a bad lot for us who care about this country.

Grizz
Old 08-03-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:

How about a government thats not corrupt to the core? That hasn't been selling out Canadians and our resources to big business. How about a government who actually stays out of business instead of one who is having a full blown attack on Unions? Harper made his bed, problem is theres no other viable candidate. Difficult choices for canadians and hopefully we end up with a minority government so that they're all held accountable.