Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2011, 04:44 PM

Default Occupy City protests

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2202306/

Seeing signs that say down with capitalism...hmmm...are these kids so young that they did not see how well that worked with the Soviet Union?

Is there something wrong with working hard these days to MAKE money? Do they want it handed to them?

Did they even go to school long enough to learn what capitalism is?

Even capitalists can agree...if the Executive run the company into the ground...they should not get bonuses after the fact for getting government bailouts. A lot of capitalists feel too much shareholder value is going to inflated executive salaries. Most capitalists feels...getting paid good money for a hard days work is both fair and correct.

So what do these guys holding anti capitalism signs expect?
Old 10-15-2011, 04:52 PM

This morning they have been interviewing lots of these miscreants on the TV. Not one of them can give a reason for the protests. Most of them can't even put together a sentence, we may be doomed, it these twits are our future.

Jason Devine, Calgary East

Jason Devine is the Communist Party of Canada candidate in Calgary East. He is 30 years old, married, and has four boys. Jason was born and raised in Calgary and has lived here his entire life.

Jason is a full-time graduate student at the University of Calgary, currently working on his Master’s thesis in Canadian working-class history.

He is active in different social justice issues, such as the the anti-war movement, and has also been active in the anti-racist movement for many years.

http://www.votecommunist.ca/jason/

This guy is the organizer of the protest in Calgary. Enough said.

I've been following these protests most of the day. Reports I found claim no one showed in Red Deer. The people in Calgary are wondering why only 100 people showed up. It's pretty amusing really, people who are too useless to work are also too lazy to protest.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 10-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Gone Hunting

I've seen lots of coverage and interviews but have not heard a single plan to fix things. How do these protestors hope to change things? By flinging themselves to the ground and kicking and screaming?

OH!OH! I've let the plan out of the bag.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand

Last edited by Redfrog; 10-15-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:59 PM

While there may be a few people at these protests who hold down a job, the bulk of the attendees are career parasites scrabbling for more handouts. If these people took responsibility for their own success or failure instead of blaming others they'd all be in better positions, as would the nation as a whole. If I can work as much as I do and still be turning work away there's certainly opportunities for these people to earn.

Capitalism works when you are willing to.

I'll agree that some of these big corporation executive types are overrewarding themselves with the shareholders money; but before taking these protesters seriously; let's take a look at their investment portfolio's and see how much in losses they've suffered personally. If they haven't ante'd in, what's he fuss about?
Old 10-15-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I've seen lots of coverage and interviews but have not heard a single plan to fix things. How do these protestors hope to change thongs? By flinging themselves to the ground and kicking and screaming?

OH!OH! I've let the plan out of the bag.
Maybe their thongs are dirty, and the chafing is infecting something, thus resulting in their misplaced anger and overall dissatisfaction?
Old 10-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Gone Hunting

That would definitely do it.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-15-2011, 05:17 PM

What got my proverbial goat was the story last night about the homeless group allowed to camp in a no-camping area under the guise of participating in today's protest. And then being allowed to stay there till the end of October!! Did you see all the food they were showing off to that "reporter" (for lack of a better name...) ?? I am beginning to think Nenshi is nuts.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 10-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Got a kick out of the useless *** on CNN this morning , that was dumb enough to say he quit his job so he could come and join the protest?????......
Old 10-15-2011, 05:30 PM

something just occupied my toilet.....man i feel better
Old 10-15-2011, 06:08 PM

This thread is so 1969.....

ROTFLMFAO
Old 10-15-2011, 08:11 PM

Flea baggers.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:03 PM

In a big part of the world, the working population has been fcked over in a nasty way for a long time. A huge number of them have their backs to the wall now, and that is the driving energy of the protests.

Not too much different from what happened in Bahrain recently. Or Egypt. Or Libya.

This is what the main problems are:
http://www.businessinsider.com/here-...-about-2011-10
Old 10-15-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
something just occupied my toilet.....man i feel better
Old 10-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2202306/

Seeing signs that say down with capitalism...hmmm...are these kids so young that they did not see how well that worked with the Soviet Union?

Is there something wrong with working hard these days to MAKE money? Do they want it handed to them?

Did they even go to school long enough to learn what capitalism is?

Even capitalists can agree...if the Executive run the company into the ground...they should not get bonuses after the fact for getting government bailouts. A lot of capitalists feel too much shareholder value is going to inflated executive salaries. Most capitalists feels...getting paid good money for a hard days work is both fair and correct.

So what do these guys holding anti capitalism signs expect?

How many billions of dollars in bail outs should the tax payers saddle up for before it's clear that what was once a capitalist system is no longer?
Old 10-15-2011, 09:35 PM

How many Iphone 4s's do you think are there? An extra $100+/month in all these losers pockets would probably help them make some payments.

Get a hair cut and get a real job! ......you all know the rest
Old 10-15-2011, 09:35 PM

Are the Calgary riot police accepting any new or temporary members?

Its been a long time since I got in on a good old fashioned hippy skull thumping.

Way to long.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
How many billions of dollars in bail outs should the tax payers saddle up for before it's clear that what was once a capitalist system is no longer?
How many billions of dollars of Quantitative Easing (Inflation) which effectively reduces purchasing power and wages should tax payers saddle up for before it's clear that there are big problems?

Of course the protests aren't as well attended in Canada, and especially Alberta.

We are always a step behind the states.

If things here were at a crisis level like they are there, and if we had a larger population to draw from, the protests would be much more well attended.

I can understand why it is difficult to understand why these people are protesting, from the perspective of Alberta.

Alberta has LOTS of jobs, and LOTS of opportunity. It is among the wealthiest places IN HUMAN HISTORY and will continue to be one for some time to come.

Go to Detroit to make a living and see how long you can make those truck payments, regardless of how hard you work.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Are the Calgary riot police accepting any new or temporary members?

Its been a long time since I got in on a good old fashioned hippy skull thumping.

Way to long.
Probably about as long as its been since you read a book hunh?
Old 10-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallCoeff.435 View Post
In a big part of the world, the working population has been fcked over in a nasty way for a long time. A huge number of them have their backs to the wall now, and that is the driving energy of the protests.

Not too much different from what happened in Bahrain recently. Or Egypt. Or Libya.

This is what the main problems are:
http://www.businessinsider.com/here-...-about-2011-10
Great post.

I find it amazing that people don't understand the purpose of the protests.

How sheltered are people?
Old 10-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Great post.

I understand the protests, not neccesarily here though but overall yes.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Probably about as long as its been since you read a book hunh?
I red one yesterday.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:23 PM

Ya I saw them in person as I was working OT downtown. Every tower had extra security on staff, and all outer doors where locked down. Turned out they walked from one end to the other and caused little delay over all.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
I red one yesterday.
read.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
read.
Duhh.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:31 PM

Ill be honest none of protesters on the news where able to tell me. But yea things are royaly screwed down there. I know a few Americans that are preparing for really bad things ie buying every bit of 308, and 223 ammo for there ar's they can find, and they all have more than a few ar's.

Nick
Old 10-15-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks BeeGuy, for introducing some facts.

Calgary and Canadian citizens have not been raped by gov. bailouts without some lube being applied. Unlike most citizens of the US.

Keep some oil nearby, Remember Bill 36 is the LAW now in ALberta, and we get to pay to be the female dog.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
How many billions of dollars of Quantitative Easing (Inflation) which effectively reduces purchasing power and wages should tax payers saddle up for before it's clear that there are big problems?

Of course the protests aren't as well attended in Canada, and especially Alberta.

We are always a step behind the states.

If things here were at a crisis level like they are there, and if we had a larger population to draw from, the protests would be much more well attended.

I can understand why it is difficult to understand why these people are protesting, from the perspective of Alberta.

Alberta has LOTS of jobs, and LOTS of opportunity. It is among the wealthiest places IN HUMAN HISTORY and will continue to be one for some time to come.

Go to Detroit to make a living and see how long you can make those truck payments, regardless of how hard you work.
The purpose of these protests is to encourage governments to take from the working classes, and corporations. Then to redistribute the wealth to the people who won't work. I think it was tried before look up the USSR, maybe try Cuba. How is it/did it work out for them? Have a look at the workers utopia of China, massive poverty and massive wealth. The wealth is concentrated into the hands of a few by the government, their system is worse than ours. You need to have friends in government to be successful.

The North American economy is getting dangerously close to the brink. We have about 46-48% of the people who pay zero taxes. A large percentage of those people live off our generous social programs. Once these people have a majority the destruction of the economy is imminent, they can run government, creating even more generous social programs and larger proportions of wealth confiscation. When that happens are in a similar situation to Greece.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 10-15-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Great post.

I understand the protests.....Lazy Slobs wanting something they did not EARN. The purpose of the protests is to show the public what Lazy Slobs look like I reckon....
Old 10-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
The purpose of these protests is to encourage governments to take from the working classes, and corporations. Then to redistribute the wealth to the people who won't work. I think it was tried before look up the USSR, maybe try Cuba. How is it/did it work out for them? Have a look at the workers utopia of China, massive poverty and massive wealth. The wealth is concentrated into the hands of a few by the government, their system is worse than ours. You need to have friends in government to be successful.

The North American economy is getting dangerously close to the brink. We have about 46-48% of the people who pay zero taxes. A large percentage of those people live off our generous social programs. Once these people have a majority the destruction of the economy is imminent, they can run government, creating even more generous social programs and larger proportions of wealth confiscation. When that happens are in a similar situation to Greece.
so working for less while the corporations make record profits isn't part of it?
Old 10-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
Ill be honest none of protesters on the news where able to tell me. But yea things are royaly screwed down there. I know a few Americans that are preparing for really bad things ie buying every bit of 308, and 223 ammo for there ar's they can find, and they all have more than a few ar's.

Nick
I believe:

The way the protesters are being portrayed and the constant comment in the media that, "the protesters dont know what theyre protesting", is a clear attempt by the corporate media to discredit the movement and confuse people who don't know what is going on in the world.

It is a difficult task to be well read on political and economic issues and the media constantly uses this to their advantage over the average viewer. That is, the viewer that gets their information from the 'news' rather than educating themselves on the issues and forming their own opinions.

Here is a simple ~5min video which portrays at perhaps the most basic level the problem which exists. You can call this problem, "saying one thing, and doing another".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGRXCgMdz9A