Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-25-2022, 07:03 PM

Default Catarack creek

Anyone fish catarack creek the last few years an notice the disappearance of fish? I have spent time from the headwaters to the trunk road the last two years an last year only seen a handful of fish. Four years ago I would have seen hundreds
Old 01-25-2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
Anyone fish catarack creek the last few years an notice the disappearance of fish? I have spent time from the headwaters to the trunk road the last two years an last year only seen a handful of fish. Four years ago I would have seen hundreds
Fished a reach 5 or so years ago and I was actually trying to figure out what those brookies wouldn’t eat! Checked out the same spot last year and nothing. Same time of year, same water temp and conditions. I figured something must have happened. It’s a small creek and I can easily spot fish, didn’t see one that day. The Falls are always pretty though!
Old 01-26-2022, 10:09 AM

Pick any one of these (or a combination of all)...

Logging

Coal exploration

Angling pressure

Random camping

OHV pressure

-Confucius
Old 01-26-2022, 01:12 PM

It’s logging cause there isn't any of the other just want experiences from others cause i am in talks with some people
Old 01-26-2022, 03:48 PM

Have spent years in the area and I’ve found the same. Stretches that have too many fish too count are now fish-less. Logging is the only real explanation outside of some disease event
Old 01-26-2022, 04:21 PM

That’s interesting, I was there 4 years ago and same thing trout everywhere, I was there 2 years ago it was a bit slower, still did alright but definitely slower, I chalked that up to the day, might have to go check it out again this year
Old 01-26-2022, 04:50 PM

I will agree with the slow down. I took a couple friends there last year to get there feet wet in Fly Fishing, and where it is normally teaming with dozens of tiny Brookies, we managed 1 Cutt. There was a 3 hour stretch we walked and hadn't seen a soul. Very strange.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:48 AM

Perhaps Whirling Disease has reached this area. I fully agree that other factors also contribute.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-27-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Perhaps Whirling Disease has reached this area. I fully agree that other factors also contribute.
Probably whirling disease is present at least somewhat, but does that affect char as much as trout? Creek was overrun with brookies.

I'm going with logging, and people keeping too many, lawfully within the limits,...or not.

Would do my usual soapbox about OHV's, but honestly, it's been years now since I fished the sections I used to since the Highwood flood wiped out Sentinel (since rebuild, I've gone once; got skunked). I don't fish near the campgrounds, so I can't really comment on the recreational abuse.

And maybe flooding / recruitment is or was an issue, and populations haven't bounced back. Too bad...solid little creek Cataract is!

So take most of the above with grains of salt as I'm just spitballing.

-Smitty
Old 01-27-2022, 12:52 PM

There is a waterfall down stream that fish cant pass so I dought whirling disease. The creek is full of silt from the logging winter 2016/17 . I have contacted Jennifer the head fisheries bio an she hasent heard of anything not a surprise. I asked if there ever was a fish count an she was going to get back to me. Is there anyway to take any action? I have a way to document take pics from any of my trapping trails I think a drone this summer in some of the areas they took there logging road out would be shocking. If it was oil an gas exploration they set a standard so high for them an the environment an logging they don’t seem to give a shat. They destroy the fur barer population an not to many people care Mabe cause it’s fish some action will happen an standards have to be met. Thanks
Old 01-28-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
There is a waterfall down stream that fish cant pass so I dought whirling disease. The creek is full of silt from the logging winter 2016/17 . I have contacted Jennifer the head fisheries bio an she hasent heard of anything not a surprise. I asked if there ever was a fish count an she was going to get back to me. Is there anyway to take any action? I have a way to document take pics from any of my trapping trails I think a drone this summer in some of the areas they took there logging road out would be shocking. If it was oil an gas exploration they set a standard so high for them an the environment an logging they don’t seem to give a shat. They destroy the fur barer population an not to many people care Mabe cause it’s fish some action will happen an standards have to be met. Thanks
Are you referring to the entire creek or just the upper section? Just my opinion, but the section upstream of the falls and the section below the falls, are very different.

Just my guess, but the section upstream of the falls suffers from low flows which results in less available dissolved oxygen. Especially with the heat and lack of moisture this past year. I'm sure angler pressure plays a part too. I'm not saying the lower section doesn't suffer either, however, at least it has more suitable holding water due to the gradience, structure, and perhaps higher oxygen levels. Maybe a good portion of the brookies from the upstream section took the plunge down the falls into the lower section.

Also, that creek has it days, sometimes you can't keep them off your hook, and other times, you wonder where the fish went. I doubt the biologist will do anything, as brookies are non-native, they'd rather seem them gone. Good on you for taking action and asking questions, keep us up to date