Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-23-2021, 11:27 AM

Default 2021 Archery Harvest thread, share your stories and pics here!!

Keep it clean and good luck this season!

LC
Old 08-24-2021, 08:05 PM

Default And It Starts!

Good luck and may the bugles be plenty!
Old 08-25-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Keep it clean and good luck this season!

LC
This and the harvest thread in the hunting section are my two favorite of the year! Unfortunately us southerners have to wait a week yet, but hope to see some success from your northerners this week

Good luck all and straight shooting.

DR
Old 08-25-2021, 09:04 AM

I'm so excited for next week. I'm all tingly!

(Hopefully it isn't pinworms...)
Old 08-25-2021, 10:24 AM

Had a bull going this morning!! Wind didn’t help me out, swirled in the valley before I could get up above him!
Old 08-27-2021, 10:42 AM

18” bear right on numbers and 6.5 ft nose to tail back in june. Decent start to 2021. Lets flood this thread with archery kill pics y’all. Aim small, miss small!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2021, 07:49 AM

Thanks RD Hunter for posting!

A week into the fall season up north and not a single picture? Don't be shy!!

South season starts tomorrow, hopefully a little more success to come on the forum.

DR
Old 09-02-2021, 10:22 PM

Got my bull moose last night, shot him about 15 minutes before last light at 35 yards. Ended up getting him back to the house around 2:30 this morning, not sure how to upload pictures but the ones we did take weren’t that great since it was pouring. Hopefully everyone else has a great fall and shoot straight fellow hunters.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:53 AM

My father in law dumped a elk last night just waiting for pics and then ill share
Old 09-03-2021, 11:19 AM
Banned

One young fella took a mature mule deer here yesterday, winds were perfect and arrow flew straight. Rough number is 190 and change. If he give permission I can share later.

May your darts fly straight everyone.

Jim
Old 09-03-2021, 01:44 PM

Sorry no pics they found his bolt and followed blood for about a km then it stopped and no blood to be found after that.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:15 PM

Had a crazy couple days in the rain. Saw 5 moose, had 1 bull in range but he kept stepping just after I had my anchor and was getting my pin on him so missed out. But yesterday morning in the stand saw this guy about 100 yards up wind from me. Decided to stalk in on him to see if I could get the shot. Turns out he stuck around. The wind was loud and perfect. 40 yard shot and about 1 mile drag to the truck. Love the bow zone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210902_161741_654.jpg (96.3 KB, 423 views)
Old 09-03-2021, 04:57 PM

Shot a buck opening evening. Not a Cranker but once I figure out posting from an iPhone I’ll share pics. September cold fronts can be deadly.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Shot a buck opening evening. Not a Cranker but once I figure out posting from an iPhone I’ll share pics. September cold fronts can be deadly.
Really fun butcher and pack out. Was home by 2:30am

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2021, 07:43 AM

Walked into my stand in the rain and wind. Rain cleared by 8pm. Buck came out at 9. Never seen him on cam before. Came down the trail in the direction I was expecting in the evening. Wind was perfect. He came to 15yards and put a fmj tipped with razor tip grim reapers though him. Didn’t go 20. Love when a plan comes together. Had a buddy, timberwoodsman, help with the pack out. Not accessible by atv or truck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 89483B78-382C-413B-A504-C13DB16EFC8C.jpg (26.7 KB, 599 views)
Old 09-04-2021, 08:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well done folks.....I am still fishing but I am in that time of gotta do this...gotta do that.....ohhhh decisions...decisions.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-06-2021, 08:33 AM

Had 2 bucks walk directly under me first sit, both 3x3, one was a large body and the other was a skinny wider spread with still the velvet on. I left them because I know I have a nice 5x5 that visits, hope I dont regret that later on.

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire
Old 09-10-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Had 2 bucks walk directly under me first sit, both 3x3, one was a large body and the other was a skinny wider spread with still the velvet on. I left them because I know I have a nice 5x5 that visits, hope I dont regret that later on.
That's kinda freaky that sounds exactly like the pasture I'm in but I'd be willing to bet it's not.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 09-11-2021, 07:15 PM

Got my public land 5 point bull last week. Came in to by buddies bugle and cow calls. Frontal shot into the thoracic opening. Only made it 50 yards. Cut up and in the freezer
Old 09-11-2021, 11:58 PM

Got my buck tonight, decent one. Had 4 of them within 30 yards of me tussling a little bit. 2 small 3x3 that come every night and then the one I got and there was another one that in a year or 2 should be approx 180. This one I had been following on cams for a year so was nice to tag him. Hit him at about 25 yards and he ran about 100 jumped a fence and that was it.

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire
Old 09-12-2021, 03:40 PM

Got a whitetail doe this morning at 7:00. Shot her at 52 yards and she fell over. This was my first bow kill ever, since last two years I’ve only shot deer with my rifle. I got my licence when I was 12 but never got a good shot opportunity so 2 years later I finally found a deer I could shoot. I’ve been increasing my poundage and shooting at 54 pounds now allows me to shoot out to 60 yards consistently. This definitely gives me some confidence for when my target buck walks by. My dad and I were driving a road allowance to get to a mule deer spot in the bow zone by Calgary and she popped up. With the fog and the fact it was early this morning she just froze because she was confused. I snuck up a bit and got a shot off. It’s awesome because I put my bow zone antlerless tags on and can still hunt whitetail buck in November. Steaks are cut and wrapped and in the freezer. Just pumped!!!
Old 09-12-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270hunter View Post
Got a whitetail doe this morning at 7:00. Shot her at 52 yards and she fell over. This was my first bow kill ever, since last two years I’ve only shot deer with my rifle. I got my licence when I was 12 but never got a good shot opportunity so 2 years later I finally found a deer I could shoot. I’ve been increasing my poundage and shooting at 54 pounds now allows me to shoot out to 60 yards consistently. This definitely gives me some confidence for when my target buck walks by. My dad and I were driving a road allowance to get to a mule deer spot in the bow zone by Calgary and she popped up. With the fog and the fact it was early this morning she just froze because she was confused. I snuck up a bit and got a shot off. It’s awesome because I put my bow zone antlerless tags on and can still hunt whitetail buck in November. Steaks are cut and wrapped and in the freezer. Just pumped!!!
Congrats on your first!

I have been bow hunting about 30 years. 90% of my shots have been under 30 yards. Anytime I have run into an issue the shot has been 50 plus.

I shoot a lot, I practice a lot, I have won several Provincial and National titles.

Reminder that archery is a game of how close not how far. Another reminder that a 50 yard shot is a long ways for things to happen, so keep that in mind because ultimately you have to live with the choices both good and bad that you make in the field.

LC
Old 09-12-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Congrats on your first!

I have been bow hunting about 30 years. 90% of my shots have been under 30 yards. Anytime I have run into an issue the shot has been 50 plus.

I shoot a lot, I practice a lot, I have won several Provincial and National titles.

Reminder that archery is a game of how close not how far. Another reminder that a 50 yard shot is a long ways for things to happen, so keep that in mind because ultimately you have to live with the choices both good and bad that you make in the field.

LC
Very good advice. I guess I shouldn’t have made it sound like I am happy I shot that far. If I practice at 60 a 30 yard shot will seem easy. Plus getting a 30 yard shot shows more skill anyway especially on a whitetail. Next time I’ll pass up a shot like that and keep going. Good advice about things going wrong that far. Wind, deer turns or ducks. Thanks Lefty
Old 09-12-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270hunter View Post
Very good advice. I guess I shouldn’t have made it sound like I am happy I shot that far. If I practice at 60 a 30 yard shot will seem easy. Plus getting a 30 yard shot shows more skill anyway especially on a whitetail. Next time I’ll pass up a shot like that and keep going. Good advice about things going wrong that far. Wind, deer turns or ducks. Thanks Lefty
No worries, and again congrats! For me to shoot 50 everything has to be absolutely perfect. I like to practice long distance too, but when it comes down to it the close game is where the thrill is for me. Good luck the rest of your season.

LC
Old 09-12-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
No worries, and again congrats! For me to shoot 50 everything has to be absolutely perfect. I like to practice long distance too, but when it comes down to it the close game is where the thrill is for me. Good luck the rest of your season.

LC
Thanks and good luck to you to
Old 09-12-2021, 10:16 PM

Slow start to the season but a couple grouse for the pot it a nice bonus reward after a lovely couple days alone in the woods
Old 09-12-2021, 11:16 PM

13 yards on this bull!86FD0E18-5447-4BAF-B3AF-8C6A11F4A731.jpg
Old 09-12-2021, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin4570 View Post
13 yards on this bull!Attachment 174975
>>
Good job and beauty bull! Not too many hunters can notch their belt with an archery Elk.. Congrats sir
Old 09-14-2021, 11:22 PM

With mule season closing for archery in north and a friend with a mule tag, meat was the order. 21 yd shot. Sausage buck.

Then on to a not so smart bull elk. Cpl cow chirps and he came licking lips. Backstraps flying. Good time to be alive. Shoot straight.

Huge body. Little rack.
Exit wound, down in 40yds. 60lbs venison deboned.

Good luck everyone. Enjoy the next week or two of yellowing leaves.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:11 PM

Default 2021 Archery Harvest thread, share your stories and pics here!!

Under an hour into opener and had 5 bulls come in silent to calls. Not the biggest in the group, but I took the 1st that gave me a shot.

Hard 1/4 away. Came out 1/2”” in front of the shoulder blade and ran 60 yards and piled up.

12 hours from shot to last load to the truck.